Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Duper

Practically Family
Carranty, the CD Looks very good. You wear it well. It will snug up nicely in time. Probably by the time your next CD arrives this one will fit perfectly. ;-)

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Carranty that Campdraft fits you well. You think it is a big hat until you get used to it then your two and a half inch brims look stingy! Congratulations on an excellent hat!

carranty

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the comments guys, I'm really loving this hat!

It will snug up nicely in time. Probably by the time your next CD arrives this one will fit perfectly. ;-)

I've been spraying the sweatband with water and leaving to dry overnight for the past 3 evenings and its a much better fit now, just needs some thin foam tape at either side to stop it tilting (I'm a long to very long oval I think), but its already very comfortable so happy with it as is. I've a bluegrass green one waiting on some wearing also (I got both Silverbelly and BG over Christmas), but I'm already longing for a moonstone version, must......resist......temptation!

Looks good. I think you could make the crown even taller based on your stature.

I think I'll try just a simple centre dent in the bluegrass green one, see how it sits, thanks.

I do however, have a small issue I'm hoping someone can help with. The two loose bits of the ribbon at the bow annoy me slightly. They're all a bit wrinkly and don't sit very well. If I could take the bow off I'd give it a good iron, but obviously can't. Has anyone tried to smooth out the ribbon while its still on the hat? How?

RBH

Bartender

I do however, have a small issue I'm hoping someone can help with. The two loose bits of the ribbon at the bow annoy me slightly. They're all a bit wrinkly and don't sit very well. If I could take the bow off I'd give it a good iron, but obviously can't. Has anyone tried to smooth out the ribbon while its still on the hat? How?

I take my finger and wet it well and rub the ribbon tails. I do this till the ribbon lays flat.
When it dries it is down on the brim like it should be.
Hope this helps.
After you have the hat awhile ....a little ribbon wonk just gives the hat character!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I take my finger and wet it well and rub the ribbon tails. I do this till the ribbon lays flat.
Hope this helps.
After you have the hat awhile ....a little ribbon wonk just gives the hat character!

Most of all my thin ribbon hats do the same thing from being in a hat box, but your fix for it seems smart and thanks, I will do that one myself!

carranty

One of the Regulars
Hope this helps.

Worked like a charm. Thanks.

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm really loving this hat!

The thing to remember is the Akubra Campdraft is a version of the classic Stetson Open Road.
(It's been reported Stetson ha blocked its importation, this is supposedly why no one sells it in the US.)

You can read the extensive postings regarding the Open Road, its clones and the other thin ribbon offerings to really get a more complete sense of all of the people and reasons this style is enjoyed so much.

You're now part of a big group here that revels in this type of hat.

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
Ok, did it. Hatsdirect. Akubra Camp Draft. Yes! Had to share. Can't tell the ol' lady just yet because my other two Akubras should be arriving any day now. hehe. I gotta cool it for a while now.
Guys I'm still worried about the smaller brim. You probably think I'm crazy but under 3 is small for me! I think I'll get used to it. They look so good on you guys.

Ok, did it. Hatsdirect. Akubra Camp Draft. Yes! Had to share. Can't tell the ol' lady just yet because my other two Akubras should be arriving any day now. hehe. I gotta cool it for a while now.
Guys I'm still worried about the smaller brim. You probably think I'm crazy but under 3 is small for me! I think I'll get used to it. They look so good on you guys.

You'll get used to it. I usually wear western hats, 4" to 3 1/2". Going to the Campdraft does feel a good bit smaller, even my 3" brimmed Bushman seems smaller. Smaller is good & a little less Yippee Ki Yay!!!

carranty

One of the Regulars

I think the Campdraft is a great choice for someone more used to western hats looking to move into fedora territory. It can be styled like a classic fedora, but has a large enough brim that the transition from more western hats won't be too jarring.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a quick question. Has anyone had any luck pulling the liner out of a Campdraft for summer wear? I have decided I like my mine so much it's going to stay active when it gets hot.

carranty

One of the Regulars
I have a quick question. Has anyone had any luck pulling the liner out of a Campdraft for summer wear? I have decided I like my mine so much it's going to stay active when it gets hot.

Are you asking if it breathes better with the liner out, or whether its possible to pull the liner out? I can't answer the former, but I pulled the liner out of mine when creasing it. It was glued in 3 places, 2 just pulled away without a hitch, but the other pulled a little felt away with it (nothing serious though). I've heard applying a little steam to the glued area helps, but I think if you're careful (and patient), you could do it without the steam.

And if you're asking whether is breathes better, you might prefer just to remove the plastic from the top of the liner, I've heard that helps a lot with the heat, I can't say for sure though - heat is not really a problem in the North West of England!

Landman

One Too Many

I've pulled mine out too without any problems. I don't like the plastic liners when it gets hot and put in a new plain satin liner that is just held in place by the sweatband. I found that if you will get a firm grip on the liner next to each glue spot and give it a quick pull it will come off without removing any felt. You will have to do each glue spot individually. The first time I tried it I pulled the liner off slowly and some felt came with it. A quick, firm pull works better than slowly pulling it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace