Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Ordered a CD in Silverbelly today. :p

I have one and like it. Something of a sand color rather than the Stetson version of the silverbelly color. But it is pleasant. I would like to see the CD in Tawny Fawn someday.

We might need to have a beer together in our CDs when I get to Arlington in the fairly near future.

Fed

I always see the sales figures from Akubra and the CD is nowhere to be found. Are us freaks on the lounge the only people that like the thing? LOL
I think the brim on the CD isn't quite wide enough to provide adequate protection from the Australian elements, particularly the summer sun. And the lack of venting on the crown probably makes it less comfortable than Akubra's vented hats.

...I would like to see the CD in Tawny Fawn someday...
I'll second that! I hope Akubra considers it someday.

I have one and like it. Something of a sand color rather than the Stetson version of the silverbelly color. But it is pleasant. I would like to see the CD in Tawny Fawn someday.

We might need to have a beer together in our CDs when I get to Arlington in the fairly near future.

Fed
Good to know! And I am in for beers when you get here! First rounds on me! :D

"I'll second that! I hope Akubra considers it someday."

Oh, it is listed as available via EA, but I have not seen it in person.

Fed
That's the Taupe Fawn, not the Tawny Fawn. As you can see here...

Akubras_04_zps381ff3a6.jpg

...there isn't much of a difference between the Tawny Fawn (Fed IV on the left) and the Taupe Fawn (Campdraft on the right), but it's noticeable. I like both colors, but prefer the slightly lighter and slightly warmer Tawny Fawn.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
That's the Taupe Fawn, not the Tawny Fawn. As you can see here...

Akubras_04_zps381ff3a6.jpg

...there isn't much of a difference between the Tawny Fawn (Fed IV on the left) and the Taupe Fawn (Campdraft on the right), but it's noticeable. I like both colors, but prefer the slightly lighter and slightly warmer Tawny Fawn.
Thanks - failed to notice the different name.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
No longer a Campdraft but a customized Akubra. Conversion Corral or Akubra Overload threads...

Tom - I have considered your opinion on this matter as you are a very credible contributor. However, I respectfully disagree with your conclusion on this one point.

How far do we go in enforcing the original purity of a product label in a thread?
If a person adds a feather, then is a Camp Draft is no longer a Camp Draft? If the wind trolley is tossed as useless, is it no longer a Camp Draft? How about a business card or foam insert placed in the sweat band? How about the fact that one of mine has the brim turned down all the way around so that it is more of a slouch look than originally intended? Or a crown crease? I view these Camp Drafts as a canvas rather than a rigidly stamped product.

These are examples of minor items in the discussion of what is still a Camp Draft.

My thinking is partly that showing or discussing the customizing potential of a product is also a valid topic within the general realm of that product.

I understand your thinking regarding the Conversion Corral, but using your same strict thinking regarding the title and original intent, that thread exists for the conversion of rigid western hats into heavy fedoras. That is clearly not the case here.

Dismissing the hat as an unspecified and customized Akubra is not accurate for a couple of reasons. No permanent alteration has taken place to this hat. This is simply an Akubra Camp Draft with a supplemental ribbon applied over its original skimpy ribbon in order to enhance the balance of the look. This hatband is tension fit and I have removed it and replaced it a few times to demonstrate the point.

But beyond the narrow issue of altered or not, I have another thought. Just as you wish to preserve the purity of the Open Roads and their clones, I am working an agenda. I am a fan of a wide to medium brimmed felt hat with thin edge binding and middle width hat band because it provides an appealing look. While Stetson is coming across with the Absinthe and Exposition, this would be nice to see from Akubra. I place the idea it into locations where that seed may sprout into a desirable product.

Maybe I should start a thread and call it the Akubra Absinthe Exposition... ;-)

Fed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace