Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

It's a BEAUT, Zombie!! Wear it in the best of health.
Assuming you're referring to the hat in my current avatar, it's a custom hat made by our own Cane Rod Maker. My Campdrafts can be seen here and here.

I've re-shaped the brims slightly since I first received them:

Akubra_CD_Before_After_zpsef288f38.jpg

Like my Fed IVs the brim curl (or is it cupping?) became more pronounced over the first few weeks, but the brims still looked too flat for my tastes so I used a little distilled water to give the "snap" a bit more of a downturn. It's a subtle difference, but I think it greatly improves the overall appearance on both hats.

Last edited:

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Sources and methods

I really like the look of the Campdraft with the mid size ribbon. It's a shame Akubra don't offer this style as a new model.

Out of interest how easy is it to source ribbon and apply it to the hat?

I think that I bought the ribbon from Bond who is a member here at FL and has an Etsy store at http://www.etsy.com/shop/finevintagefedoras. However, I got several ribbons for a few projects around the same time period to use for learning projects, so it could have been from one of these other sources. Millinery grosgrain is available, but it is not the same as vintage.

I used a couple of web based sources for guidance in learning. These were all considered, but the first was the one that I used for the most part.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?55650-New-quot-How-to-make-a-bow-quot-TUTORIAL-by-FORTINO37

(I copied the simple version of the tutorial a while back and have kept it in a file, so I did not need to try to puzzle out these photos. If I can get permission, I will forward the document to members.)

http://dalexs.whitvani.net/hat/hatpage.html
http://www.hatsdirect.com/help/ribbon.html

I also used a tutorial on swirling from
http://www.hatsupply.com/grosgrain_sweats.htm This was a source of other grosgrain, but I think that she does not carry 1 inch.

Good luck - if I can do this, anybody should be able to...

Fed

Last edited:

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Thanks for all of the feedback. This was fun. I will return to the regularly scheduled Campdraft programming with my unmodified BlueGrass CD shortly.

Fed in a CD (Whether modified or not)

carranty

One of the Regulars
So Zombie, now that you've got both a whiskey coloured felt and a tawny fawn fed, how about a comparison of the two?

I've been wanting to see how those two colours compare forever ;).

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

So Zombie, now that you've got both a whiskey coloured felt and a tawny fawn fed, how about a comparison of the two?

I've been wanting to see how those two colours compare forever ;).
Since a picture is worth a thousand words...

Tawny_Fawn_Whiskey_zps34cb5731.jpg

As you can see, in direct sunlight the Whiskey felt (on the right) has a darker and much warmer/richer tone than the Tawny Fawn felt. In more subdued indoor lighting the Tawny Fawn has a little more of warm/golden tone, but still not as much as the Whiskey. These are the two favorite hats in my current "collection" and I think both colors are wonderful and quite versatile.

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Al thanks for the color comparison! I've got a Tawny Fawn Campdraft Heritage felt I really like it, it gets a lot of wear time. Don't have a Whiskey, yet ;)! You did a great job on those crown bashes, they both look great. Did you use steam or distilled water to shape them with? Whichever you did a great job!

Al thanks for the color comparison! I've got a Tawny Fawn Campdraft Heritage felt I really like it, it gets a lot of wear time. Don't have a Whiskey, yet ;)! You did a great job on those crown bashes, they both look great. Did you use steam or distilled water to shape them with? Whichever you did a great job!
You're very welcome! I creased the Teardrop crown on the Fed IV (on the left) myself; I shaped it dry to get the rough shape, then sprayed it with distilled water to refine and set the shape. The Cane's Creations hat (on the right) was creased into a C-Crown by Tim/Cane Rod Maker, but I did tighten the front pinch a little when I received it, again using a little distilled water to set the new pinch.

theoldnorthwest

Familiar Face
Hello,
Does anybody know if you can get the Campdraft with a 2.5" brim instead of 2.75? All of the ones I have found online currently seem to be 2.75 but some of the photos I have seen of the Campdraft on this site and elsewhere look like they have the smaller brim. If they don't come in 2.5 does anybody know of another open crown Open Road/Stratoliner style hat that is available to buy new, I cant' seem to find a vintage hat in my size. Thanks.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hello,
Does anybody know if you can get the Campdraft with a 2.5" brim instead of 2.75? All of the ones I have found online currently seem to be 2.75 but some of the photos I have seen of the Campdraft on this site and elsewhere look like they have the smaller brim. If they don't come in 2.5 does anybody know of another open crown Open Road/Stratoliner style hat that is available to buy new, I cant' seem to find a vintage hat in my size. Thanks.

No. But you can get a Campdraft and cut the brim to the length you want. I've cut back a whole bunch of Akubra brims that were too long. No issues. However, you won't have a bound brim anymore.

I think Bob might be referring to the special edition FL Campdraft that had a 2.5" brim....
They are very nice hats! and a great color if you are lucky enough to have one.

Hello,

The Premier Stratoliner by Stetson is one. I got 2 of the last Canadian made Biltmore & 1 of the last Beaver Brand...Miller Hats used to have the Open Door but no longer on the website.

BTW The Campdraft is 2 7/8... a touch over 2 3/4.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy