Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Cattleman

Ben Lee

New in Town
I just bought my first Akubra....a Cattleman in fawn. I wanted something semi-casual that will be great in our Mississippi heat and would hold up to my outdoor activities. I'm in between a 7 1/4 and a 7 3/8. I ordered a 59. I hope I ordered the right size.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good Day Ben Lee
Congratulations on buying a fine Hat. I have had my Snowy River for HD for five years now and it is still one of my favourite hats. Looking good and holding strong. My head size is between 7 3/8 to 7 1/2 I usually go for a 60 and size down with foam inserts. You will not be disappointed. You will have to post pictures when it gets here.
Johnny.

Ben Lee

New in Town
I will take pics when it comes in. I want to make sure I have it for my mini-honeymoon. I get married June 10th. A Snowy River is on my short list along with a Patterson, Bogart (in black) and Traveler. :D

feltfan

You guys are gonna love this!

I sure did.

I was wondering what the Akubra Cattleman looks like.
So I dropped it in Google image search. Among many
others, this site came up:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~grhess/photo/AkubraHatFactory/AkubraHatFactory.html

Nice photos of the entire process of creating an Akubra
Cattleman, from raw pelt to finished hat. If you were wondering
if that hat is a rabbit pelt hat, it is. Very cool photos. Enjoy.

dr greg

One Too Many
jacked rabbit

Unbelievable to see that they have to import rabbit skins now, it means that the virus they released some years back must really be working. the rabbit was our biggest agricultural pest and billions of them devastated large tracts of the country and turned it into near-desert.Good for farmers, but I wonder if the price of Akubras has gone up in response.
BTW I was out in the country recently and found an old menswear store where the shelves were covered in old Akubra boxes, but the old guy was barking crazy and refused to sell anything..which makes me wonder why he was open..oh that's right..he's not all there.

Bargepole

New in Town
dr greg said:
... the shelves were covered in old Akubra boxes, but the old guy was barking crazy and refused to sell anything...

I had a similar - but different - experience in.. well, let's just say
somewhere hovering between the edge of the bush and the edge of reason.

ME: Morning.
SHOPKEEPER: What of it?
ME: I'd like a pair of moleskins.
[LONG PAUSE]
SHOPKEEPER: What for?
ME: Er... to wear.
[LONG PAUSE]
SHOPKEEPER: Nothing wrong with the ones you're wearing.
ME: Yes, but I'd like a spare pair.
SHOPKEEPER: Waste of money. [PAUSE] Tell you what.
[LONG PAUSE]
ME: What?
SHOPKEEPER: (Gesturing towards entire wall of Akubras) Sell you a hat, though.
ME: (Gesturing towards own Akubra, on head) I've already got a hat.
SHOPKEEPER: D'you not want a spare?
ME: No.
SHOPKEEPER: So you want a spare pair of daks but you DON'T want a spare hat?
ME: Yup.
SHOPKEEPER: Well that's not very bloody LOGICAL, is it?
[I TURN TO LEAVE]
SHOPKEEPER: I'll sell you a pair of moleskins if you chuck those ones away.
ME: Why?
SHOPKEEPER: They're R M Williams. You want Euroa.
ME: But then I'll still only have one pair of--
SHOPKEEPER: For God's sake. Get TWO pairs of Euroa. You can afford it. I'll throw in a hat.
ME: Free?
SHOPKEEPER: No. Usual price...

Guess what? I ended up buying two pairs of Euroa moleskins and an Akubra Territory. The guy was mad, but he sure as heck could sell.

johnnycanuck

Ok Ben Lee
You have mentioned this short list a few times already. What is on this short list? I know most of us here have “wish lists” we have been making. Dreaming about the next hat to purchase or find on e-bay.
Myself I just purchased a Pith helmet that’s in the mail. Beyond that it’s a toss up between a Grey Akubra Squatter, Fawn Akubra Cattleman, or an Akubra Territory colour undecided. So what on your list?
Johnny.

Ben Lee

New in Town
Well so far a black Bogart, a Stylemaster (don't know color yet), Paterson in Heritage Fawn, Angler in Loden or Stag Brown, Traveler, Coolabah in Bran, Snowy River in Santone Fawn, Territory in either Sand or Khaki...for starters. :D

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Diagnosis: Akubritis

I've been looking into getting a Federation Deluxe.... it'd actually be my first new, non vintage hat. Just trying to convince myself to spend that kind of dough on a hat first. I mean, I know i'll do it, it's not a waste of money by any means. I'm just... well.. poor. lol

johnnycanuck

Good day Mr. Misanthropy
The first “real” hat I bought was an Akubra Federation. Last year I picked up a Federation Deluxe. Trust me they are well worth the money.
Johnny.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Well I guess that settles it, I'll have to get one. I wish they didn't all come open crowned. Check the "Borsalino, Before and After" thread to see the horrible outcome when I try to shape a hat myself. I'll definitely be going for an "Indy" block though, which seems fairly simple.. but.. I think I'll still leave it up to the pros.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Right there with you on the "I'm poor" part, Mr. Mis. Got other important things to to with my money, and spending too much on hats will lead to expensive bills, either medical or legal.

Guys, I IM with Ben Lee during the day, he's absolutely stuck in. You like how his short list isn't so short? He's already prepared to order another one before he gets put on the shelf permanently next month. He's to be wed, and she's going to harm him badly over the Cattleman. Wait until he orders the Bogart. :rage: :rage: :rage: lol lol lol lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot