Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello, I live in Seoul, Korea where weather is now rainy season. I wear two akubra federation IV several times in the rain and mistakenly put the hat nested. Then, somehow, the sweatband got sort of very sticky. By sticky, I do not mean "comfortable sticky" against strong wind. It is like "glued."

For grey federation iv, the whole band got sticky. If I smear it, sticky black residue comes off. I tried tooth brush with soap to clean off, but no success. For the other federation IV, only forehead and rear-head part is beginning partially sticky. I would like to salvage the latter one. But, don't know how.

Did I completely ruin the hats?
I have never heard of this. Maybe contact Akubra directly to see what they have to say.
Johnny

jdrichards

New in Town
The main difference between the Coober Peby and the safari is the brim size. Safari has a 79mm brim so it's the same as your Coolabah. The Coober Pedy has 84mm brim. Any more information past that I will have to ask my sister. She has both hats.
Johnny
Thanks Johnny - greatly appreciate that info - I reckon I might go with another Coober Pedy in a lighter color and swap out the hat band as I have grown to like the wider brim on m Black CP... I do like the look of the Safari in the pics I have seen but I have never had my hands on one. Then again one can never have too many Akubras... ;)

jdrichards

New in Town
Thanks Michael.

But I really learned most of what my hat knowledge is from other forum members.

Anyway I do have both hats.

I think that the Safari is more in the range of a Banjo Paterson, smaller, dressier hat.

I got it because I thought I will be a real "Safari" looking hat, but it doesn't, it is more of a fancy looking hat, I do wear it in the city, not a real dress hat but you can wear it with a suit or jeans and will look good both ways.

I know, for sure, that Akubra discontinued the Safari some 6 months ago, so, if you want it, got to move fast on the last ones on the shelves.

The Coober Pedy, one of my favorite hats, is more a city-country hybrid, it looks great everywhere, it even looks great in black !!

So, in short, if you want a hat for the outdoors, I will recommend you get another Coober Pedy, Santone fawn is a great shade, or a hat such as a Tablelands, you can also get a Slouch or Military Akubra, that hat is always a head Turner and you can dress it with a couple of badges, I love mine.

I have a Cattleman, similar to the Tablelands, but somehow I never really liked it as a Cattleman so I changed it and reshaped the hat into a real Safari crease.

Anyway you can't go wrong with the Akubras, at least my experience has always been good I suggest you check Sam Menche's everythingaustralian.com.au online store, best prices and a great service.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Thanks Michael.

But I really learned most of what my hat knowledge is from other forum members.

Anyway I do have both hats.

I think that the Safari is more in the range of a Banjo Paterson, smaller, dressier hat.

I got it because I thought I will be a real "Safari" looking hat, but it doesn't, it is more of a fancy looking hat, I do wear it in the city, not a real dress hat but you can wear it with a suit or jeans and will look good both ways.

I know, for sure, that Akubra discontinued the Safari some 6 months ago, so, if you want it, got to move fast on the last ones on the shelves.

The Coober Pedy, one of my favorite hats, is more a city-country hybrid, it looks great everywhere, it even looks great in black !!

So, in short, if you want a hat for the outdoors, I will recommend you get another Coober Pedy, Santone fawn is a great shade, or a hat such as a Tablelands, you can also get a Slouch or Military Akubra, that hat is always a head Turner and you can dress it with a couple of badges, I love mine.

I have a Cattleman, similar to the Tablelands, but somehow I never really liked it as a Cattleman so I changed it and reshaped the hat into a real Safari crease.

Anyway you can't go wrong with the Akubras, at least my experience has always been good I suggest you check Sam Menche's everythingaustralian.com.au online store, best prices and a great service.

Thanks Chumaco! I think I will do as you suggest and pick up a CP in the lighter color. The Black Coober I have has a small ribbon hatband and really looks dressy but as you said it still works Ok with jeans. I do have a real RAAF slouch hat with the RAAF pin and pug band that I picked up while working at a RAAF base back in 01' but it's a show piece for my office rather than one I want to wear out on a fishing trip. Thanks again for the info and insight!

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
The main difference between the Coober Peby and the safari is the brim size. Safari has a 79mm brim so it's the same as your Coolabah. The Coober Pedy has 84mm brim. Any more information past that I will have to ask my sister. She has both hats.
Johnny
Johnny !!

I remember how much help I got from you asking about Akubras !!

Always nice to see you around.

Are those extra pounds that you dumped still away? Better be !

Have a nice evening.

All the best

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Johnny - greatly appreciate that info - I reckon I might go with another Coober Pedy in a lighter color and swap out the hat band as I have grown to like the wider brim on m Black CP... I do like the look of the Safari in the pics I have seen but I have never had my hands on one. Then again one can never have too many Akubras... ;)
Wise move... I love Coober Pedys, have one in Sand, it's a beautiful hat !!

I'd rather get a Sand or Santone fawn Coober Pedy than a Safari.

I have Coober Pedys in Black, Santone Fawn, BGG and Sand.

All four are great hats and love'em all.

Anyway If I only had the Black I will either get a Sand, great light shade, but you have to pamper it, or a Santone Fawn, the most Australian shade IMHO.

Both are gorgeous hats.

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Chumaco! I think I will do as you suggest and pick up a CP in the lighter color. The Black Coober I have has a small ribbon hatband and really looks dressy but as you said it still works Ok with jeans. I do have a real RAAF slouch hat with the RAAF pin and pug band that I picked up while working at a RAAF base back in 01' but it's a show piece for my office rather than one I want to wear out on a fishing trip. Thanks again for the info and insight!
CPs from Sam at EA come with a leather hatband and a small opal, I really like the looks.
8f0b9c3cde598b115c62be24625c4034.jpg
24d8fa69f618072842bf9dd1bb23690c.jpg
3dbfe9e40489622638cc1f808e8e6875.jpg

johnnycanuck

Johnny !!

I remember how much help I got from you asking about Akubras !!

Always nice to see you around.

Are those extra pounds that you dumped still away? Better be !

Have a nice evening.

All the best

Thanks man and no problem. Even when I am not posting I am usually lurking around. And yes I am still 165 pounds. Haven't gained any back. Thanks for asking.
Johnny

johnnycanuck

Just for fun here are all my Akubra hats
8d12821ce02db4e679143c9e9fedc203.jpg

Left to right SnowyRiver in Santone, Federation Deluxe III in dark brown and Down Under in black
8db45b2a8a7391e13cd1e8dbd595d193.jpg

SnowyRiver in sand, Coolabah in bran and Banjo Paterson in heritage Fawn.
bf1fae5c7e9c48eb25df119c9275af2d.jpg

Croc in black, Squatter in carbon grey and SnowyRiver in rodeo red
07afcd81d9379fe38dabe7acafb8cb9e.jpg

And finally the Cattleman in Fawn. The Banjo Paterson and red SnowyRiver I bought for my wife but she never wears. But the kids love to wear them from time to time.
Johnny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willebe

A-List Customer

Left to right SnowyRiver in Santone, Federation Deluxe III in dark brown and Down Under in black

And finally the Cattleman in Fawn. The Banjo Paterson and red SnowyRiver I bought for my wife but she never wears. But the kids love to wear them from time to time.
Johnny

Great showing of Akubras, Johnny. I'm gearing up to order a Cattleman in Graphite grey. I'm looking forward to it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

Johnny

top middle a Fed?
one of the nicest I've seen

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
I love the colour of that one. Is it Bluegrass Green?
Wear it in good health.
Johnny
Yes BGG, funny thing is that when I got it just after opening the box I tried it on and really thought it was an ugly hat.

So it stayed in the box for 6 months, then one day it was raining so I decided to "use" that ugly hat, tried it on again and loved it.

Its a real nice hat and shade.

Have a nice day

jdrichards

New in Town
Wise move... I love Coober Pedys, have one in Sand, it's a beautiful hat !!

I'd rather get a Sand or Santone fawn Coober Pedy than a Safari.

I have Coober Pedys in Black, Santone Fawn, BGG and Sand.

All four are great hats and love'em all.

Anyway If I only had the Black I will either get a Sand, great light shade, but you have to pamper it, or a Santone Fawn, the most Australian shade IMHO.

Both are gorgeous hats.

I am thinkin that I like the Santone Fawn...I pamper the Black one but most of my other hats end up with a little "character"..I actually need to get a stretcher as my Coolabah shrunk a bit after its last soaking..

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
I am thinkin that I like the Santone Fawn...I pamper the Black one but most of my other hats end up with a little "character"..I actually need to get a stretcher as my Coolabah shrunk a bit after its last soaking..
I love Santone Fawn, as I have said, I feel that it is the most Australian shade, has Australian written all over it.

But will get some pics of the Sand, Black, Santone and BGG together Friday or Saturday

Might help you get a better idea

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner