Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

kiltie

Practically Family
I'm all but ready to take the plunge; with all of the Fed IV arrival threads and my dissappointment with my Christys' Adventurer, I've got my sights set on a couple Fed IV Dlxs.

While the Adventurer looks good from far, it's far from good; I can't get over the spotty felt, glued in liner, and especially the conspicuous stitches holding the grosgrain in place.

I'm sure the Akubras are superior quality, I'd just like someone to confirm with a picture of the Akubra ribbons, particularly any areas where stitching may appear visible.

This is a little drastic, due to the flash, but you get the idea.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/HPIM2736.jpg

It's better than the Christys', but not by leaps and bounds. Goose lodged a similar complaint about his, and I don't know if it's a matter of a particular run, or just the way they are. It's also possible that it's all about the way the thread is running a different direction in the tack as opposed to the ribbon itself, thus giving a contrasting appearance. [huh]

This may be useful, if you're a COW member:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39244

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
AKUBRA and HATS DIRECT: READ THIS POST!

CRH said:
Only in black :(. I will patiently await the resurrection* of the Fed lll. I'll take one in Moonstone, thank you :D.

*hint. hint.
A Fed III or modified Fed IV (would that make it a Fed V?) with wide brim binding matching the ribbon and a snap brim? And in Silverbelly, Moonstone, and Sage green? Oh, man, I'm in line to buy them already...

Akubra? Hats Direct? Are you listening???

And I'm using my 200th post to make the request!

Swagman

New in Town
jazzncocktails said:
A Fed III or modified Fed IV (would that make it a Fed V?) with wide brim binding matching the ribbon and a snap brim? And in Silverbelly, Moonstone, and Sage green?

That almost sounds like the Akubra CEO or DM Squatter. Just lacking the Silverbelly.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Doctor Strange said:
My older (circa 2003) Fed III measures 2-7/8 x 2-3/4 (73x70).

That's a bigger brim than I think I'd like. I guess I'll have to go with a Fed IV -- or order another Stylemaster and wait three or four months for it.

Goose.

Practically Family
kiltie said:
... Goose lodged a similar complaint about his, and I don't know if it's a matter of a particular run, or just the way they are. It's also possible that it's all about the way the thread is running a different direction in the tack as opposed to the ribbon itself, thus giving a contrasting appearance. [huh]
Yep. While not as obvious as when I first received it, there's still a contrast on my Dark Brown tacking. Maybe not as "obvious" only because I've gotten used to it. Dunno.

But here's a pic taken trhe first day or so after I received it (note the tack to the rear of the bow - looks like lint at the bottom of the ribbon at the flange) and a pic from about 10 minutes ago for this inquiry.

486985116_tRoUJ-S.jpg
. . .
499928574_qzdRT-S.jpg

Goose.

Practically Family
Doctor Strange said:
The brims are not the same. The Federation III brim is bigger than the IV - or at least, it was. My older (circa 2003) Fed III measures 2-7/8 x 2-3/4 (73x70).
Thanks Doctor Strange.
After your post, I went looking at the HD site to see what the overall differences between the III and IV are. Didn't have much other than this:

"The hat has been through 3 transitions since its introduction, introducing a contrasting ribbon, a dimensional cut brim, a better quality version. We have now introduced a new set of specifications and refinements based on feedback and customer requests and have logically arrived at The Federation IV. "

Source: http://hatsdirect.com/federation/index.html

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Swagman said:
That almost sounds like the Akubra CEO or DM Squatter. Just lacking the Silverbelly.

Akubra could cover a lot of ground by just adding an 'open crown' option to any hats in their line.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
We just gave my sister a birthday present, Akubra The Boss in Tanbark Brown, and here she's wearing it for the very first time:

Minna_Akubra_The_Boss.jpg

jpbales

Practically Family
loose ribbon work

I've noticed after looking at about a gazillion pictures over time of the Akubra Fed IV that the ribbon work does seem a little "loose" at times. To me, the bow isn't quite tight enough (the knot, to be specific, looks too tall and wide [huh] ). After I got mine, I folded the sides of the ribbon that makes the knot in to make it a tad thinner, and I made it tighter also. I found that they tape it together then sew it in.
The tacks are occasionally conspicuous, and one on my hat just came loose- which can be easily repaired.
Not to mention the fuzzy felt too, which can be solved with some fine-grit sanding.
Don't get me wrong though, I still do love the Fed IV- it's just a person with an eye for detail may wish to improve on some of those details. For me though, a DIY kind of guy, I'd rather spend less $$$$ and put some more work into it myself then spend a ton of my scarce $$$$ to do something I could do myself. Not to mention, the extra effort and attention makes the hat feel more like "mine" as well.

jpbales

Practically Family
here's what I was talking about with the ribbon
here's a ribbon as it comes with the Fed (I'm stealing this pic from the Fed IV gallery):

06-federation-creased.jpg

and here's mine after I "fixed" (in my opinion) it:

ribbon2.jpg

(sorry, the color is really far off with the flash, it's a carbon gray)

I put arrows so you know which part is the part which I folded in a bit to make the knot narrower. Maybe I'm crazy, or obsessed or something, but I can tell the difference [huh]

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Dundee said:
That is a very nice look for your sister.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I agree. I was really surprised how well it fit her features (didn't fit my wife nearly as well). I'm a bit sorry that I missed the opportunity take a pic of her outdoors, as the hat looked even better with her jacket etc.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice jp. Being a detail person too, little things bug me to distraction if I think its off. Making it right in your own eyes is very satisfying and gives a great sense of accomplishment.

pauljmuk

New in Town
Wolfwood said:
We just gave my sister a birthday present, Akubra The Boss in Tanbark Brown, and here she's wearing it for the very first time:

Minna_Akubra_The_Boss.jpg
thats a great look! i always shyed from the boss, but i was clearly wrong

awest84532

Familiar Face
Federation IV's just ordered.

I am still new to the board, but took the advice here to go and order a couple of Fed IV's. I ordered a moonstone and carbon gray.

My current good fedoras are a Stetson Temple and a Stetson Chatham. I hope I like these as well/better.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I came home last night and found a box waiting for me from Australia! I have been messing with it trying to attempt a teardrop but so far it is not going so hot. I will work on it a little more before resorting to a diamond. I am in contact with the crease chief on this one.:rolleyes:
It is Glen Gray, I will take pics in the sun tomorrow.

This hat was sent to me from BobC. He got it for me for doing his brim. I surely did not deserve it but sure do like it! So thank you very much Bob!!:eusa_clap

It even came with a handwritten note.

GEDC0584-1.jpg

GEDC0590-1.jpg

GEDC0589-1.jpg

GEDC0588-1.jpg

Spats McGee

One Too Many
indycop said:
I came home last night and found a box waiting for me from Australia! I have been messing with it trying to attempt a teardrop but so far it is not going so hot. . . . .
I have to disagree, indycop. I think that teardrop looks great & the hat looks great on you!

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
indycop said:
I came home last night and found a box waiting for me from Australia! I have been messing with it trying to attempt a teardrop but so far it is not going so hot. I will work on it a little more before resorting to a diamond. I am in contact with the crease chief on this one.:rolleyes:
It is Glen Gray, I will take pics in the sun tomorrow.

Looks great indycop. I love my glen grey CD. Maybe it's my imagination, but it really feels thicker than my tawny, does yours?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner