Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Colby Jack said:
Roninjedi...welcome to the lounge and enjoy that new Fed!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Here's to Mr. Colby Jack and to one of the greatest threads on the Fedora Lounge.

Hip! Hip!

Hooray!

:cheers1:

Much gratitude and grace to you, Sir :eusa_clap.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Yep! Makes me wanna fly the Aussie flag!!

kangaroo-flag.jpg

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
No Nicole Kidman.....But I thought you might appreciate this one of Elle's ......... ummmmm.......hat:

Elle_MacPherson.0.0.0x0.432x673.jpeg

And for the younger members...Miranda Kerr -

2258414119_4cb22ed005.jpg

Oops, she forgot her hat. Here ya go -

33804.jpg

Man....it's good to be Aussie....OI! OI! OI!

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
ok...they're not quite in the league of the ladies in the Pin-Up thread over in the Powder Room....but hey...they're still damn fine.

Not that I've been looking over the fence or anything.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
CRH said:
Here's to Mr. Colby Jack and to one of the greatest threads on the Fedora Lounge.

Hip! Hip!

Hooray!

:cheers1:

Much gratitude and grace to you, Sir :eusa_clap.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
:eek: Thank you...This thread really has been fun!...LOt's of great info for those of that appreciate the Akubra and all it's guises...:D :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Roninjedi said:
Well, it looks like I'm going to have to stop humming the tune to "Battle Hymn of the Republic" for awhile and start learning "Advance Australia Fair". I just placed my order for a Federation 4 in moonstone! This will be my very first fur felt hat. I'll raise a Fosters to y'all while I'm out with my girlfriend at Outback Steakhouse tonight (cheesy decor, great food).

Speaking of the Fed 4, my hat size is somewhere between 61 and 61.5 cm. I ordered a 62. D'you think I should invest in a hat jack to keep it wearable over time, or will it stabilize somewhere around my proper size?

That should be right. I am a 60.5 and a 61 Moonstone conformed perfectly to my head after a few wears.

Akubra

Familiar Face
Definatly go for a hat jack. I own 2 of em and I keep them gently in any hat I am not going to wear for a while. They also help break in a new hat very well.

I have the same problem...I am in between a 60 and a 61 so my Akubras need to be streched a little. The hat jack gets the job done while I sleep.
When I want to break in a new hat I wear it every second day for a month.
I take it off after work and put the hat jack in it and tighten it up just a little tighter than my head would push it. I then leave it in for the whole next day.

It gets my new hats brok in in about 1 month, without any red marks on my head or headaches.

Good Luck

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
My new Fed IV pics

Okay. Here are the pics of my new Federation IV.

In the box.
3913739307_75e0f7176a.jpg

This is the first time I've ever held an open-crowned hat. I'm in Texas so I'm used to Western style (cowboy) hats which are always very stiff. The crown of this one is surprisingly soft.
3914523972_76de831dfc.jpg

I immediately dry-bashed the hat.
3913739427_cce029a53d.jpg

I was surprised how well it took the bash.
3914524028_484a29f656.jpg

Hmm... this is a really tall crowned hat.
3913739677_93431f0b65.jpg

3913739523_5a850f5897.jpg

This is a porkpie dry bash I did just to see what it would look like. I love porkpies, but I think the brim is too wide on this one.
3913739565_8653bc472f.jpg

I'll keep fiddling with the bash. Meantime, I have the whole foam strip in the hat right now (without adhesive) and it fits perfectly. The hat's on my head now and I can tell that as it shrinks to size, the foam will come out bit by bit. I'm so thrilled! :D

jpbales

Practically Family
I get all giddy when I see a hat box on the door step! I'm sure you'll find an open-crown hat to be a nice contrast to stiff cowboy hats! Have fun playing with it.

Roninjedi said:
Okay. Here are the pics of my new Federation IV...

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Roninjedi said:

This is a porkpie dry bash I did just to see what it would look like. I love porkpies, but I think the brim is too wide on this one.

Pork_pie_on_plate.jpg

Looks like you have everything hoggy doggy and piggy wiggy and pretty much under control, Mr. Roninjedi. :eusa_clap

And oh my, oh my, oh my, I do love the Pork Pie! :eusa_clap

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Ephraim Tutt said:
No Nicole Kidman.....But I thought you might appreciate this one of Elle's ......... ummmmm.......hat:

Elle_MacPherson.0.0.0x0.432x673.jpeg

And for the younger members...Miranda Kerr -

2258414119_4cb22ed005.jpg

Oops, she forgot her hat. Here ya go -

33804.jpg

Man....it's good to be Aussie....OI! OI! OI!
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
CRH said:
Pork_pie_on_plate.jpg

Looks like you have everything hoggy doggy and piggy wiggy and pretty much under control, Mr. Roninjedi. :eusa_clap

Crikey!!! I forgot that there's actually a food item by that name. lol Never had one. There is an authentic English cafe a mile or two away, so perhaps I can ask the British ex-pat restauranteurs to make me one.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Roninjedi, it looks good on you. Do you still have it bashed as a porkpie? I'd like to see some shots from some other angles on that. I think it might look really slick as a porkpie.

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
Spats McGee said:
Roninjedi, it looks good on you. Do you still have it bashed as a porkpie? I'd like to see some shots from some other angles on that. I think it might look really slick as a porkpie.

Nope, Spats. I steamed it into a C-crown (or is it "teardrop? I don't know what the difference is.) for now. It took a lot less steam than I thought and took the shape quite readily. I'll probably change the bash later, though. I'm so used to wool hats that are a tad too small and taper towards the top, that the blocky '30s-'40s look of the Federation takes some getting used to. I do have a brown Royal Stetson from Etsy coming in the mail next week. The brim is shorter, the ribbon is wide, and I think it may be the perfect porkpie candidate. I'll post pics when it's here.

And it might be my imagination, but after about 8 hours of wearing the Fed, it seems to already be shrinking to fit. Just a little.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo