Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akudra Stylemaster color

mando

New in Town
Hello all, I'm buying a Akubra stylemaster hat. I'm completely in the dark about the carbon grey and the moonstone grey colors. Nowhere can I find any decent photos of the colors. If anybody has these hats can you post some pic's. Are the ribbons the same colors as the hats or are they contrasting colors? thanks.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I haven't seen the Moonstone in person, but I have a Stylemaser in the Carbon (aka Mid or Steel) Grey. It's a VERY DARK shade - it reads as black in anything less than bright light. The ribbon is a matching color, though in bright sun it looks a bit different because it reflects much more:

stylem1.jpg

The Moonstone is a much lighter shade and is more versatile, able to match more colors beyond the black/gray/blue hues that the Carbon does. I have seen pictures of it here with both black ribbons and matching-color ribbons, so you'll have to ask the dealer which it's got.

You should be able to find lots of other pictures of Stylemasters here on the various Akubra threads if you do some searches. It's a very popular hat for a number of reasons: classic styling, low price, excellent build quality, and it looks great in lots of contexts on lots of folks.

MrAcheson

New in Town
Ditto Dr. Strange. I have a Sydney, not a Stylemaster but they are very similar hats. Mine is Carbon Gray. Most people think it's black until they see it in bright sunlight or next to something true black. Then they think it used to be black and faded slightly in the wash. ;)

mando

New in Town
Thanks so much everyone , and thanks oldsarge for the pic. Now I know I want the moonstone.:)

Jacora

Familiar Face
Just ordered a Carbon Grey StyleMaster. I was thinking that I might change the ribbon to something blue to make the hat pop a bit more. But now I'm wondering if that wouldn't work because of the edge binding. Any opinions on ribbon being a different color from the edge? The StyleMaster's edge matches the felt pretty closely, so perhaps that makes it OK?

Jacora,

Can't speak for the carbon grey, but I'm a big fan of contrasting edge bindings. I only have one, this D'Aquino:

PWPkB7Cm.jpg

Another on the way (tan, with bronze ribbon and tan edge binding). Also, check out the Fall 2015 Stetson Dress Catalog. The Stratoliner, Racine, and Ripley show contrasting ribbon/bindings.

Wow that's a great looking hat. What are the dimensions?

As ordered:

Style: Fedora
Color: Navy Blue
Crown Height: 5" after blocking 6" open crown. Minimum taper
Brim Width: 2.5"
Ribbon Color: Merlot
Ribbon Width: 1"
Brim Binding Color: Charcoal
Size: 58

The next one coming, which was recently shipped, is 5.5" open crown and 2 5/8" brim.

More pics in this thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?79807-Anyone-know-anything-about-this-hatmaker-Daquino

Jacora

Familiar Face
Hmm. I'm beginning to regret ordering the StyleMaster. Looks like I could get a hat like yours from D'Aquino but with StyleMaster dimensions (lower crown than yours). Those colors are awesome. Oh well, the StyleMaster is known to be bullet-proof, and everyone needs a grey hat, right? Perhaps I need a third hat... :)

Hmm. I'm beginning to regret ordering the StyleMaster. Looks like I could get a hat like yours from D'Aquino but with StyleMaster dimensions (lower crown than yours). Those colors are awesome. Oh well, the StyleMaster is known to be bullet-proof, and everyone needs a grey hat, right? Perhaps I need a third hat... :)

I only own one Akubra, a Fedora. I don't think you will regret buying one. I've got my eye on a couple more (Campdraft, anyone?). But I'm now also a big advocate of D'Aquino. Both are great felts, and the prices are great for both, as well.

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
Be careful soon you will think you might need a 30 th hat....[emoji6] believe me I do think that, right now I have 29..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran