Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Al Sharpton called me "Dick Tracy" today...

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I agree that you have great style. You definately don't look like paparazzi. lol
The Weegee book on your stand seems appropriate. ;)

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A monstrous tale.

1.) There is no white supremacist ritual involving raping a black woman. I knew a few pretty representative white supremacists (or 'white nationalists') in the late 1980s (and no, I do not refuse to talk to people with whom I profoundly disagree. In fact, I usually want to talk to them more to find out why they believe what they believe. And they tell me.) True, hardcore white supremacists do not find non-white women attractive and thus have no ritual involving raping one. Regardless of certain feminists' claims that "rape is a crime of power, not of sex" it would be rather difficult to perform a rape if one perceived the victim as profoundly unattractive, and was in fact repelled by her/him.

2.) The part about Sharpton not caring whether the alleged rape is true or not is absolutely inexcusable. Especially to me, as I am a professional historian, and finding out what actually happened is my highest calling.

3.) As for the "confessional" angle, the book I recommend on this topic is called Race Experts by Elizabeth Lasch-Quinn, a historian at a university in New York State (I cannot recall which one, and my daughter is asleep in the room where we keep that book and I don't want to wake her). Lasch-Quinn argues compellingly that this form of ritualized apology is not helpful to race relations in this country and is in fact harmful, a sign of submission and humiliation that does nothing positive either for the offender or the offended.

[Bartenders: if this is too offtopic or too fiery to stay up, please remove it with my blessing -- I will not be offended.]

Foofoogal

Banned
(I cannot recall which one, and my daughter is asleep in the room where we keep that book and I don't want to wake her).

What a good daddy...

Little girls sure can wrap daddies around their fingers quick huh...lol

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
If this conversation is going to denigrate into a slam session based on politics it has no place here and should be CLOSED.

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
The press card is, naturally, in my hat-band...unfortunately, it's the new design that the NYPD released in 2003, changing decades of tradition. It used to be a badge-shaped piece of cardstock, starting around 1937. I do have a collection of old press cards, though—it's surprising that so many survived after being exposed to the elements in news people's hats.

Great collection and fabulous look. I'm now inspired to go dig out my old White House press pass. Just a laminated card. I'm *just* old enough to have had one from the days when you just called the press office, gave them your social, and waited a day or so.

funneman

Practically Family
An awesome look!

The entire outfit looks great, but I really like the way you've styled the brim on your hat. Very authentic looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn