Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander Leathers light brown kudu Dakota, size 42

schitzo

Suspended
That hide!

It's like no other. The 'finish' - kinda looks unfinished to me - is nothing like uniform, and with all these markings, indentations and colourations the best i can describe it to you as is heavyweight badman jungle hide! The surface is periodically pitted with scratches and gouged bits all over, some more severe than others. Yet in spite of myself, I'm actually more than OK with them. Wearing it to do my vegetable shopping in earlier today I did feet a bit like Indiana Jones with these scars reminders of bullets that whizzed by!

Some scarring across the left side on the front

No fashion label would touch this (i don't suppose..) which is fine by me as i wouldn't touch them either. Sure, i can see why some wouldn't like it but those objections are likely exactly what i love about it. For me, the clash between this elegant design and this hide that's anything but is a perfect contrast.

The jacket is totally comfortable, no break in required, and it doesn't feel heavy when I'm wearing it; though at 3.7kg it absolutely is.

Details

I'm happy with the details too. Body is moleskin lined, sleeves are cotton drill. At the hem is a 4 inch cord strip for durability, cuffs are cord lined also

Originally I asked for a button loop inside pocket in the facing and one open top shirt style pocket on the other side. Anyhow, when it came the sleeves were half an inch longer than intended. I sent it back for shortening and it's worked out quite well cos it was clear that one inch less would in fact be better. At the same time i also took the opportunity to ask if there was anything that could be done to 'smooth over' the inside pocket since on the corner of that there was a sizeable ridge showing though at the front. There wasn't anything that could be done to fix it as it was, but Will kindly offered to replace the whole facing thereby removing that pocket. At which point I asked if, in its place, I could have another shirt style pocket but this time with a button lid closure sewn onto the lining - basically one for my wallet. It came back this week and everything is perfect. They sent the old facing with inside pocket back too

and if you look at the pics below - of the back of it - you can clearly see what was causing the unsightly ridge to show through. IMO this leather is just far too thick to even think about inside pockets in the facing

kudu is thick!

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
Inside Pockets

Button closure shirt style pocket

Open shirt style pocket

Fit

Having tried one on in this size and hide in Scotland I expected a good fit as all it needed was a little extra length. I'm just under 6.2 and this jacket is 24.5" long. I feel it fits very well. FTR my chest is 38" though this is a size 42

On reflection I am still thrilled with my tan roadster but this one tops it. It may just be personal preference, but i think the kudu is extraordinary. I certainly don't expect to bump into anyone else wearing one. With this type of short fitted jacket I think I ought to make more of an effort to compliment it with whatever else I'm wearing, but I'm just not sure what that should be. Looking at these pics it's clear to me that some better fitting jeans (than those crappy 501s) are called for. And obviously when I'm not in the garden I probably won't wear crocs with it either!

All in all I'm very happy with my choices and how they worked out. So if anyone from AL happens to be reading this I'd like to send out big thanks to Will for sizing me so well and for suggesting I try on a 42 in the first place, to Brendan for cutting it so accurately and to Vicki and then Linda for putting it together so nicely both times.

Last edited:

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Schitz, you are the "heavyweight badman jungle" badass, my friend!

This jacket thru and thru is the Schitz!

Now, wtf is a kudo??

Cooperson

One Too Many

The Kudu, lurking in a thicket where it picks up all those cuts and scars.

Schitz - great looking jacket, with some nice features! First time I've seen the rough kudu close up. Lots of cuts in surface of the hide that would worry some, but for me it gives the jacket real character. Fit is good too, didn't think you would go for a back length like that, given your previous longer bodied Aero's, but it looks right for short period style. You must be pleased with that one. Enjoy!

Jeans and footwear do need some serious sorting though :)

Last edited:

frussell

One Too Many
The battle-scarred hide rocks. Reminds me of my old chinks (short cowboy chaps for my non-riding friends), every scar has a story or a memory attached. Too bad kudus don't write memoirs, that one looks to have led an interesting life. I really like it. On the other hand, my 70 year old mother in law has the exact same Crocs. Frank.

schitzo

Suspended
On the other hand, my 70 year old mother in law has the exact same Crocs. Frank.

ha! But whatever you lot say I'm keeping those crocs. I've had em two years and they are solid summer footwear. But of course I agree they don't fit with this look.

re jeans and footwear that might, suggestions anyone?

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Well, to me the combination of jeans and leather jacket requires real shoes or boots. Neither crocs nor sneakers will do.

schitzo

Suspended
Schitz, you are the "heavyweight badman jungle" badass, my friend!

well thank you very much sir. The sun seems to have vanished again but if it returns later I'll snap a few more shots of the most characterful bits. The side panels are certainly worth a look

schitzo

Suspended
Well, to me the combination of jeans and leather jacket requires real shoes or boots. Neither crocs nor sneakers will do.

I don't disagree with this assessment Rudie. I was thinking for a short jacket like this boots might even be better than shoes? FTR there is no chance of me leaving the house in this jacket and those crocs! And I also consider trainers unworthy

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
Very nice jacket, Schitz. Congrats

With this type of short fitted jacket I think I ought to make more of an effort to compliment it with whatever else I'm wearing, but I'm just not sure what that should be. Looking at these pics it's clear to me that some better fitting jeans (than those crappy 501s) are called for. And obviously when I'm not in the garden I probably won't wear crocs with it either!

"Probably" not wear crocs? That needs to be a "definitely never", mate. And yes, some jeans with non-skinny legs would help the look:D;)

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
C'mon Major, skinny is a totally different horse.

I agree, boots work better with jeans. If you were to wear chinos or real trousers shoes would be the better option IMO. Engineer boots, Red wings or Lennons or some such look great with jeans and leather.

schitzo

Suspended
Very nice jacket, Schitz. Congrats

"Probably" not wear crocs? That needs to be a "definitely never", mate. And yes, some jeans with non-skinny legs would help the look:D;)

really? I don't wear skinny jeans - these are both 'straight' - but I was thinking some tighter more fitted looking jeans might be better for this jacket..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy