Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL OPINIONS WANTED AND NEEDED!!!

Smuterella

One Too Many
Lulu-in-Ny said:
Okay, I definitely like the first one.
-Love the orange stripe
-I like the darker color.
-Something about the way the pockets look bunchy on the second one bugs me.
-The cuffs and waistband are too prominent on number two.
On the whole, I just think that the first looks stronger, more substantial somehow. Just my opinion...

yep, I agree

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Here's a pic of the pocket on the spray finish Aero. It actually has quite a bit of grain for a new jacket. I have a week or 2 before I have to decide, so I really appreciate everyones observations.
Aerosprayfinish.jpg

fedoralover

ldmax

Familiar Face
Personally, I prefer the Vermont Espresso. I just like the natural aniline finish better. I have an aniline dyed goatskin US Authentic that is way cooler than their spray finish leather. One question. Are you planning on keeping your russet Aero? If so, the darker brown would provide more of a contrast to that jacket. But that Vermont Espresso really stands out from just about any other jacket out there. Even a casual observer would know it is something special.

Tony

CBI

One Too Many
Very interesting. No. 1 looks like any premium repro. Had that been GW’s standard I probably would have gone in another direction. Nothing wrong with it but on the service, little to distinguish between it and the others. Not meant as a slam, just goes to show how special so many of the other GW hides are!!! Thing is, No. 1 is probably very much like what they used to be straight from the Quartermaster. If you want that 50 mission look, number 1 is the one to go with (after a year – great wear – like a 40’s pilot!). If you want a jacket that will look like a 60 year old one in a few years, go with number 2.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Should I ask the obvious?

Have you acquired any leather samples from John so you can see/feel the leather first-hand??

I just received a few samples in the mail. Among them were the aniline-dyed horsehide and the new russet horsehide. I was initially planning to purchase a russet HH jacket until I saw the leather first-hand and realized how light it is (I prefer a darker russet). As for the aniline-dyed HH, it really is superb. At first it was pretty smooth...very similar in appearance to the spray-dye jacket in the first photo. But with some crumpling & bending the grain pops right out. It isn't as dark as other repro seal colors, and in fact is quite similar to the Capri chocolate cowhide that John offers. The Capri cowhide is (very) slightly lighter, just a bit thicker, but has nearly identical grain. Holding them side by side you wouldn't know one was horse and the other cow! Also, both samples (regardless of dyeing process) are a fairly uniform color all the way through the hide. The russet, however, was spray dyed over a much lighter yellow hide. One more thing...I don't know if the spray-dye seal HH is the still the same, but the sample John sent me earlier is dark (i.e. nearly black), and very very similar to the smooth seal HH on Aero (Scotland) jackets.

My recommendation is wait until you have some leather samples. Photos can be deceiving. When forking out close to $1000 for one these jackets, why rush?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot