Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
WOMEN'S FLYING CLOTHES

Until mid-1943, flight nurses and WASPs were issued the A-2, B-3, and B-6 winter flying jackets and A-3 and A-5 winter flying trousers and A-4 summer flying suits as well as other male flying clothes and accessories as required. Even the smallest men's sizes available in these clothes were often too large for women, and there were fitting and comfort problems. Although AAF policy was to limit the number and types of flying clothes, a counterproductive effort in the design of women's flying clothes took place with separate lines developed for flight nurses and WASPs. (All OD items were shade No. 7.)

The heavy wool nurse's F-1 flying jacket and aviation A-1 slacks, A-1 skirt and garrison style C-1 cap were standardized on 7 June 1943; originally dark blue, in early 1944 they were changed to OD. The blouse type jacket was waist length while the slacks were similar to men's wool field trousers, and the skirt was full-length with six gores. The skirt proved impractical and was little used.

This was followed by the A-1 nurse's winter flying suit in early 1944. This short lived one-piece suit was made of OD boat cloth with a removable gray alpaca liner; without the liner it could be used as a summer suit. It had a small pocket on the left breast and large patch pockets on the lower thighs, all with buttoned flaps; a front closure zipper, and in integral cloth waist belt.

The A-1 suit was quickly replaced by the OD women's intermediate flying B-16 jacket and A-12 slacks. These were standardized for WASPs in May 1944, the jacket on the 4th and the slacks on the 15th. They were identical in design and materials, except for the sizing, to the men's B-15 jacket and A-11 trousers. After the WASPs were disbanded the A-16/B-12 were made limited standard in early November 1944.

The OD nurse's intermediate flying B-17 jacket and A-13 slacks replaced the F-1 and A-1 and were standardized on the same dates as the B-16/A-12; the F-1/A-1 continued to be issued for some time, however. The B-17/A-13 were of a more practical design, closer fitting than their predecessors and very similar to the WASPs' B-16/A-12, but with fuller slacks cuffs and other minor improvements. A full-color AAF insignia was printed on the A-16's and A-17's left shoulder.

The two-piece flying suits were standardized in January 1945. The nurse's very light flying L-1 jacket, L-1 slacks, and L-1 cap were standardized on the 10th while the nurse's light flying K-1 jacket, K-1 slacks, and K-1 cap followed on the 22nd. The L-1 items were made of OD worsted wool garbardine for use in 50 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit temperature ranges. The K-1 outfit was of a lightweight khaki cotton twill and used in 87 to 122 degrees Fahrenheit areas. Other than the materials, the two outfits were of the same design and similar to the men's K-1 and L-1 flying suits. The waist-lenth jacket had two flapped breast pockets, pencil pocket on the left shoulder, zippered front closure, and adjusting straps on the waist band. The slacks had a waist strap, zipper closure on the left side, and side leg pockets. The caps were of the garrison cap style with officer's gold and black piping.

Smaller size men's flying gloves were initially issued to women flyers. The A-11A women's intermediate flying gloves were introduced in 1944; made of seal brown goatskin or pony hide, they had removable dark OD knit wool inserts, and were identical to the men's version of the A-11A but made in smaller sizes. Smaller sizes of the B-3A unlined summer flying gloves were also available for issue to women.

Both flight nurses and WASPs were issued the A-16 women's winter flying shoes made of seal brown shearling with black rubber soles similar to men's A-6 winter flying shoes; they were secured by zippers and could be worn over regular shoes. A white AAF insignia was printed on the outside uppers. These were standardized on 2 May 1944. Previously, small sizes of the A-6 and A-9 shoes were issued to women.

- The above information courtesy of US Army Air Force, Volume 2 by Gordon L. Rottman.

alsendk

A-List Customer
Interesting reading indeed!, but isn`t this article somehow misplaced here - in this all original Irvin RAF type jacket thread ?

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Interesting reading indeed!, but isn`t this article somehow misplaced here - in this all original Irvin RAF type jacket thread ?

You guys don't read much do you? The jacket on the previous page, that some thought was an RAF Irvin, had a label that clearly said it was a Winter Flying Suit Type A-1, Mfg. By Irvin Air Chute Co, Buffalo, N.Y. So I posted exactly what that was. It has no relation to the RAF Irvin!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
You guys don't read much do you? The jacket on the previous page, that some thought was an RAF Irvin, had a label that clearly said it was a Winter Flying Suit Type A-1, Mfg. By Irvin Air Chute Co, Buffalo, N.Y. So I posted exactly what that was. It has no relation to the RAF Irvin!

A1...A2...B2..B17...P51....????
I think I've got it..... It's a Yank!
lol lol
Thanks for a most interesting read.:)

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here

But it does have a link with the RAF Irvin. Both were designed by Leslie Irvin!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
But it does have a link with the RAF Irvin. Both were designed by Leslie Irvin!

I should also add, as you well know Andrew, one could easily spend a few life times collecting nothing but Leslie Leroy Irvin related items! What a great man!

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Here is a mid-war Irvin (1942 pattern) in very fine wearable condition and near complete (one zip has been replaced with a period Lightning; the other two are double trunion Dot zips); it even retains its original collar strap.
The sheepskin is very supple and the fleece is in excellent condition (golden and complete - the lining appears to be Devon fleece; the waist, collar and wristlets are a shorter pile).
It appears to have seen very little wear but to have been stored carefully. It's a large jacket (at least a size 7 as it swamps me a little and I typically wear a ELC in a 46").
Sadly, there is no label, so the maker remains a bit of a mystery.
Thanks to John Lever, who initially spotted this one.

1e2a886c-6a4e-4e63-84de-e6854e8b95f9_zpsighmzsj6.jpg

fbb2141e-380b-4bfa-8970-026d42d763a2_zpseqxkzdaf.jpg

b46e40b6-83bc-48d3-badb-0fc54e58748b_zpslogqdijg.jpg

image1_zpstkqoies8.jpg

image7_zpsk09xkzq4.jpg

image19_zpsa6dquplm.jpg

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Just picked up another pair of Irvin trousers. A low res image, but better images will follow.
These look to be in lovely condition (labelled, size 6, all zips present and working, complete with braces).
Dimensions:
Waist is 36-38"
Seat 42-44"
Leg 33.5"

Trousers_zps71foeifa.jpg

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Too often these days Irvin trousers are used to mend jackets or are even turned in to jackets, producing a "NOS" jacket! What ever the condition of vintage fleece it should not be worn on a daily basis with risk of damaging it. High end reproductions are the way to go for a daily wearer.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Don't fret, these trousers are too good and complete to be sacrificed (the only suitable trousers for 'NOS' jackets are really the ones that are shot with holes or economically beyond repair). They'll be offered for sale soon after I conditioned them and I hope that they'll be snapped up by a buyer who is looking to display them really.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I really like the pattern of the panels on the accompanying Links jacket.

Irvin%20Jacket_zpsacnfrn6b.jpg

The more vertically configured chest panel elongates the jacket and looks more balanced IMHO.

Not the rarest jacket maker I know, but I particularly like the Links pattern, length of fleece and rounded collar shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21