Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This EbayLinks jacket would appear to have been refurbished later in the War, when the front panels were altered and possibly the belt replaced. The AM had damaged Irvins refurbished and re-issued under the 40288 contract from 1943 to 1945.

aswatland

Don't fret, these trousers are too good and complete to be sacrificed (the only suitable trousers for 'NOS' jackets are really the ones that are shot with holes or economically beyond repair). They'll be offered for sale soon after I conditioned them and I hope that they'll be snapped up by a buyer who is looking to display them really.

This is good news about the trousers. Ones which are beyond repair may not be robust enough to make a later War style NOS jacket that will stand up to daily wear.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
This EbayLinks jacket would appear to have been refurbished later in the War, when the front panels were altered and possibly the belt replaced. The AM had damaged Irvins refurbished and re-issued under the 40288 contract from 1943 to 1945.

Thanks for that information Andrew, I think that I've seen that configuration on one of your late war Links jackets on FL (presumably also produced within the same contract).
I particularly like that more vertical panel - makes the jacket appear more elongated, whereas the more common panel layout (used by Gary at ELC and Jon at Aces High) tends to cut the torso in half. The former is more flattering if you're less than 6' tall!

aswatland

True Ian, but this was originally an earlier jacket which was refurbished as opposed to one made as multi-panel one from 1943 on wards. My later War Links jacket were almost certainly made under a later contract than this one. Sadly the seller only uses just one photo which does nothing to help him maximise the price in the auction.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Fire in short bursts.

would you be a dear for me and pack some paper or foam around that coat hanger for me if you could be so kind...take some duct tape some newspaper or foam or *something* like a blanket even... and pad it up a little. I would love you so if you could oblidge my humble Request.

Love from

-DD

aswatland

I think this Links jacket is a size 38 or 40 if the seller's measurements are accurate. If you were to breathe in Ian you might just be able to squeeze into it!:D

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I really like the pattern of the panels on the accompanying Links jacket.

Irvin%20Jacket_zpsacnfrn6b.jpg

The more vertically configured chest panel elongates the jacket and looks more balanced IMHO.

Not the rarest jacket maker I know, but I particularly like the Links pattern, length of fleece and rounded collar shape.

I had one of these almost identical. If I remember mine had traces of yellow around some of the collar underneath. I guessed it may have originally had a Coastal Command hood, cut off and converted? I had one half of the belt replaced by Eastman, also the main zip puller leather tab.

P1230018.jpg

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Fire in short bursts.

would you be a dear for me and pack some paper or foam around that coat hanger for me if you could be so kind...take some duct tape some newspaper or foam or *something* like a blanket even... and pad it up a little. I would love you so if you could oblidge my humble Request.

Love from

-DD

I don't have it in hand, but it'll be stored flat under a bed when it arrives. :)

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I think this Links jacket is a size 38 or 40 if the seller's measurements are accurate. If you were to breathe in Ian you might just be able to squeeze into it!:D

Not in a month of Sundays, even with organs removed... ;)
But...not bought with me in mind...

Last edited:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I always knew it would come down to someone with bottomless pockets to corner the whole online market...inevitably, what can you do eh!

Sincerely Grateful to be here and learn a few things along the way better or worse.

would like to take this opportunity to say;

Thanks all of you for being such a wonderful Community.

aswatland

1941 Restored Links Irvin size 6
Back in the early summer I bought this Irvin cheaply. It was in desperate need of TLC, with panels unstitched, the sleeve zips removed and sewn up and many of the seam tapes falling off. The good thing was that the fleece was in great order and there were no holes. I have spent the last 6 months on and off working on the jacket. I have re-stitched most of the seam tapes and panels by hand, inserted the correct Dot zips and conditioned the leather with Pecards. The work is now complete! The jacket is a 1941 contract Links Irvin in a decent size 6, so it fits me well. I particulalry like the contrasting chestnut outer skin and the darker brown seam tapes. It belonged to an airman called Heaton, whom I'm researching.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Well done Andrew, great job!

That has to be one of the most striking contrasts with seam tapes and hide I've seen.

I daresay that's a keeper after all the work you've put in!

Paulgo253

Familiar Face
Hello to everyone as this is my first post - hopefully in the right place! I have recently bought my first Irvin and must admit to becoming a little obsessed these jackets and their history, trying to soak up as much information and details as I can. Not an easy task I’m discovering, due to many and various factors affecting production before and during the war – so very thankful for all the knowledgeable people around!

Here's a few (rather poor) pics

20151026_175100_zpswsu4ihte.jpg

20151025_075724_zpsh6fhexrr.jpg

20151023_194710_zpse8iq78yv.jpg

Not really sure why I’ve been so bitten by the Irvin bug. I’ve always wanted a flyting jacket and a few months ago (at which point I’d not even heard of Irvin!) started looking at different types of repros of varying quality and price and very quickly realised that what I wanted was the real thing! My late uncle was in the RAF, which possibly has something to do with it all, although he was prevented from flying due to a motorcycle accident when he was 16. He was seriously injured and had a plate in his skull, something he hid when he joined up.

My grandmother, knowing flying with that type of head injury could be as lethal when flying as anything the Luftwaffe could through at him, promptly told his superiors. He was devastated but spent the war as an MP stationed in the RAF base at Reykjavik. I know from my mother than he had an Irvin and she remembers him wearing flying boots too – how I wish I knew where his jacket went! Sadly, I’m sure it was lost long ago.

Mine is not the best example you will ever see, but I absolutely love it! Sadly, there’s no surviving label or provenience with mine. All I know is it was owned by the landlord of a midlands period fashion shop, who’s father bought it at auction in the mid 70’s and used it for a time as a motorcycle jacket. It had been well looked after, however, and I think stored away for a while before being put up for sale in the shop. When I bought it the main zip was broken with missing teeth on one side, and the zip runner was missing, as were the zip pulls on both sleeves. It had also lost it’s belt somewhere along the way. The leather itself, although in need of conditioning, was very sound with only a small, good quality repair along one of the under-sleeve seams that’s not actually visible when wearing.

I sent it away for some magnificent restoration work by Simon Swaffield of WWII Jackets. From being a ‘little poorly’, the jacket has come up I think very well indeed and I am told better than he expected. The main zip and the sleeve zip pulls were replaced and he fitted a period replacement belt and hanging chain. He also re-trimmed the collar as it had a few bald patches and re-stitched the seams that needed attention. The collar fastening strap had been cut short, so this was also replaced. Two dressing of Pecards were applied which has completely transformed the leather. It’s got a wonderful aged look to it that I just love. From the little that remains of the original finish, It looks as if the lower panels were slightly reddish in colour to the browner upper panels,

Fortunately for me, it’s a generous size. I’m a 42/43” chest and it fits me fine, nice and snug. I think it’s a size 6 as the original zip measures 22.5” (I believe for size 7 and 8 the man zip is 23.5 inches). The fleece has a lovely shaggy pelt that I personally much prefer to the close cropped type and is in great condition. It had a bit of an attic aroma to it but a few days in the fresh air and sun has worked wonders.

20151121_161638_zps2atwiboa.jpg

The original main zip was of the ‘bucket’ seat type at the bottom, tho not stamped. With the zip pull/slider missing there’s nothing to be gleaned in that respect and likewise the sleeve zip pulls (I’m trying to find out more about the various types and production usage of Irvin zips). Simon has used original and correct replacements throughout, although the main zip has most probably come from flying trousers, as the end stops are different at the neck.

20151125_174003_zps1daxrgw7.jpg

20151125_174037_zpszerzqlgu.jpg

Other than that it’s identical to the original, which I still have along with the original collar fleece. I will probably need to replace at least one side of one of the sleeve zips soon. It came with a small nick in the fabric about an inch or so from the sleeve which has developed into a slight tear in the webbing under the teeth. The zip is still quite serviceable to this point, so not a massive issue, but it would be nice to zip it up fully, as I can on the other side.

There no label to go on, but I think this is an early 40’s Wareings jacket, judging by the squarish collar, large collar rings and the belt loops – but I would be grateful for some expert analysis, including how common the shaggy style fleece is. I’ve seen Links jackets that look very similar to mine. Also the best suggestion for care and maintenance, especially giving the fleece a gentle clean, would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks

Paul

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Hello to everyone as this is my first post - hopefully in the right place! I have recently bought my first Irvin and must admit to becoming a little obsessed these jackets and their history, trying to soak up as much information and details as I can. Not an easy task I’m discovering, due to many and various factors affecting production before and during the war – so very thankful for all the knowledgeable people around!

Here's a few (rather poor) pics

20151026_175100_zpswsu4ihte.jpg

20151025_075724_zpsh6fhexrr.jpg

20151023_194710_zpse8iq78yv.jpg

Not really sure why I’ve been so bitten by the Irvin bug. I’ve always wanted a flyting jacket and a few months ago (at which point I’d not even heard of Irvin!) started looking at different types of repros of varying quality and price and very quickly realised that what I wanted was the real thing! My late uncle was in the RAF, which possibly has something to do with it all, although he was prevented from flying due to a motorcycle accident when he was 16. He was seriously injured and had a plate in his skull, something he hid when he joined up.

My grandmother, knowing flying with that type of head injury could be as lethal when flying as anything the Luftwaffe could through at him, promptly told his superiors. He was devastated but spent the war as an MP stationed in the RAF base at Reykjavik. I know from my mother than he had an Irvin and she remembers him wearing flying boots too – how I wish I knew where his jacket went! Sadly, I’m sure it was lost long ago.

Mine is not the best example you will ever see, but I absolutely love it! Sadly, there’s no surviving label or provenience with mine. All I know is it was owned by the landlord of a midlands period fashion shop, who’s father bought it at auction in the mid 70’s and used it for a time as a motorcycle jacket. It had been well looked after, however, and I think stored away for a while before being put up for sale in the shop. When I bought it the main zip was broken with missing teeth on one side, and the zip runner was missing, as were the zip pulls on both sleeves. It had also lost it’s belt somewhere along the way. The leather itself, although in need of conditioning, was very sound with only a small, good quality repair along one of the under-sleeve seams that’s not actually visible when wearing.

I sent it away for some magnificent restoration work by Simon Swaffield of WWII Jackets. From being a ‘little poorly’, the jacket has come up I think very well indeed and I am told better than he expected. The main zip and the sleeve zip pulls were replaced and he fitted a period replacement belt and hanging chain. He also re-trimmed the collar as it had a few bald patches and re-stitched the seams that needed attention. The collar fastening strap had been cut short, so this was also replaced. Two dressing of Pecards were applied which has completely transformed the leather. It’s got a wonderful aged look to it that I just love. From the little that remains of the original finish, It looks as if the lower panels were slightly reddish in colour to the browner upper panels,

Fortunately for me, it’s a generous size. I’m a 42/43” chest and it fits me fine, nice and snug. I think it’s a size 6 as the original zip measures 22.5” (I believe for size 7 and 8 the man zip is 23.5 inches). The fleece has a lovely shaggy pelt that I personally much prefer to the close cropped type and is in great condition. It had a bit of an attic aroma to it but a few days in the fresh air and sun has worked wonders.

20151121_161638_zps2atwiboa.jpg

The original main zip was of the ‘bucket’ seat type at the bottom, tho not stamped. With the zip pull/slider missing there’s nothing to be gleaned in that respect and likewise the sleeve zip pulls (I’m trying to find out more about the various types and production usage of Irvin zips). Simon has used original and correct replacements throughout, although the main zip has most probably come from flying trousers, as the end stops are different at the neck.

20151125_174003_zps1daxrgw7.jpg

20151125_174037_zpszerzqlgu.jpg

Other than that it’s identical to the original, which I still have along with the original collar fleece. I will probably need to replace at least one side of one of the sleeve zips soon. It came with a small nick in the fabric about an inch or so from the sleeve which has developed into a slight tear in the webbing under the teeth. The zip is still quite serviceable to this point, so not a massive issue, but it would be nice to zip it up fully, as I can on the other side.

There no label to go on, but I think this is an early 40’s Wareings jacket, judging by the squarish collar, large collar rings and the belt loops – but I would be grateful for some expert analysis, including how common the shaggy style fleece is. I’ve seen Links jackets that look very similar to mine. Also the best suggestion for care and maintenance, especially giving the fleece a gentle clean, would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks

Paul

Well done Paul and it looks great on you. Unfortunately you've probably started on a fearsome addiction, namely the search for the perfect Irvin!

Welcome btw,

Tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21