Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All things Sewing Machines!

job2458

New in Town
Necchi BU Mira

My mom bought a Necchi BU Mira in 1953 or 54. I have it in my garage where it has been collecting dust. It needs a good cleaning and lubrication and should work like a charm. It is in a cabinet that is shaped in somewhat of an arc and is a dark color. I was curious as to whether you had the same cabinet design. Do you by chance have a photo of your cabinet?

Thanks,

Jim
Copperas Cove, TX
job2458@earthlink.net

Elaina

One Too Many
Amelie it is possible to repair and service that machine yourself. www.treadleon.net is probably one of the best places and I've been on the list for about 2 years now. I bought, repaired and learned to do the service from this place, and the Captian can't possibly be any nicer.

All my machines are vintage. Not that I can't sew on a modern one, or an industrial, I prefer the treadle to them all. 201 if it's something I need electric/denim for. I learned to sew on a 201, and I always loved my mom's treadle and wasn't allowed to touch it. Most of these old people powered machines work as good, of not better, then expensive models. Even my attachements are from 1886, and still do what they're supposed to.

And my buttonhole attachement (circa 1936) makes better button holes from the treadle then the professional models that have it built in. Frankly, I can faster with my feet then most can with an electric, and I get up to near professional speed with mine.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My First Sewing Machine!

Well, after about a year of saying that I was gonna take the plunge and learn how to sew, I got the crazy idea to go out today and buy a sewing machine. I had been doing research on line for a while, and went to quite a few different stores today, and finally decided on the Pfaffe Smart 200C. I purchased it from a reputable store and the experience was quite impressive. I had three sales people helping me for 3 hours. I was given a lengthy tutorial on all the different machines and the different options. I bought 2 vintage and one vintagey pattern, supplies to make one dress including a beautiful black crepe fabric that will be perfect for the vintage vogue pattern that I got. I won't start with that pattern, because it's rather complicated. I picked a very easy pattern for my first attempt, and will be going back to the store later this week for a free lesson in which the woman who sold me the machine is going to help me make my first dress.
Another benefit that I really liked about the store I bought from is that within the year I can bring back this machine, no matter how battered and abused it is, and upgrade. They will give me the full cost back on the machine that I bought and put it towards the purchase of a new machine. But I don't think I'll need to do that, for this machine seems to do everything I will need it to. Besides, how on earth am I going to figure out how to use this one in the next year!

I've been up all night reading the manual and practicing my stitches on some fabric swatches they gave me. I'm definitely glad to have a lesson soon. Sewing is much more complicated then I ever imagined! And this thing has a lot of gadgets and gizmo's on it, it's all quite complicated:eek:

Well, I'm gonna read over all the threads about finding vintage fabrics and patterns. Although I really liked the store I bought the machine from, the fabrics seemed kind of pricey and I only found the one that I really thought had a vintage feel to it. But, they were having a big sale and the sweet woman who was helping me gave me a 2 coupons to use towards my purchase, which helped me to save over $23 off the grand total.

It was a fun day and I'm looking forward to finally being able to make that perfect day dress, since I can't seem to find any online anymore:( At least this way I'll be getting exactly what I want, provided it doesn't fall apart on my while I'm wearing it!

Anyone else use a pfaffe? If not, which brand do you use? Any particular features I should know about that might make things a little easier?

Rosie

One Too Many
Yay! :eusa_clap

First, congrats! Please know that you will be COMPLETELY obsessed with everything sewing for at least the next year or two.

You browsing through a catalog: "170 bucks for a shirt!, I can make that for 20!"

I digress. You got a really nice machine. I use an old Brother that I bought with one of my first pay checks over 7 years ago. The feature I just began using (yes after 7 years) that has made life easier, the zipper foot. I HATE zippers but guess what? That funny little attachment really has made life easier (call me crazy, stupid or stubborn for not using it before, I know, I know.) Also, whenever you start a stitch, reverse the stitch for an inch or two, that will keep your clothes from falling apart on you, even though that never happens. I would start with a pencil skirt as my first project. That was my first project and I still wear it. Have fun, lots of patience and good luck.

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
Welcome

Joining in the fun!!!! Yah! It's always nice to have a neebie sewer right next to you. We can all figured together. I'm still working on my first repro dress pattern. Almost done.....

G

GoldLeaf

Congrats, Daisy! Your machine looks really cool! And it sounds like you had a wonderful experience! How neat that a shop still takes personal time like that with their customers! Its great you went to a small shop rather than a chain. I think its fabulous that they are going to help get you started.

My dear mother bought me a sewing machine for Christmas (just 2 months ago). I received a pretty basic White machine. She did her research and wanted a quality machine that came with some of the accessories - the different feet etc, but was affordable because she also bought me a beautiful sewing cabinet.

The machine I got reminds me very much of her 1975 Singer which I used a few times growing up, so I feel comfortable with it. My cabinet rocks because I live in a tiny apartment and I would have only my very small pub table to work on. My cabinet has lots of storage and opens up into a long table-surface but closes up nicely with the machine stored inside. It just looks like a low chest of drawers.

I didn't remember much about how to sew, but I did have the benefit of watching my mom sew alot while growing up, so most of the concepts aren't totally foreign to me. We made a very basic dress together while she was visiting. Simplicity 4265 I made it in a navy blue and white polka dot pattern. The big thing was the zipper, and I am very glad we got to it while she was here.

Congrats again! :eusa_clap Here's to beautiful dresses in our future! :cheers1:

Amelie

A-List Customer
arrr you've got a pfaff! I love them!! Is it impertinent to ask how much you paid for yours? this little beauty looks very interesting to me, and the only stores selling pfaff machines in montreal are quite far from my house

I really hope you enjoy your purchase!

arrrr they don't want to tell me the price on the phoneeee:rage: :( :eusa_doh:

crwritt

One Too Many
Anyone else use a pfaffe? If not, which brand do you use? Any particular features I should know about that might make things a little easier?[/QUOTE]

I had a Pfaff machine mid 70's to early 80's, and I totally wore it out! It was the first zigzag machine I had used, and it made nice buttonholes. Of course I do lots of sewing, and sewed quite a bit of heavy stuff, such as fake fur and leather, on that one. (I make mascot costumes.)
Elna is another very nice brand, but in my work I tend to wear them out. My current NEW one is a Singer CG-590
http://www.icanhelpsew.com/singer-cg590.html
Nothing like a nice new sewing machine. Another thing that is invaluable to me is a really good sewing book. I have shelves of HOW TO books, new and old, but the best and most complete one I have is the Reader's Digest Complete Guide To Sewing, the one I have is a 1976 edition, and it answers just about any question you might have on sewing, and very well illustrated.
Have fun with your new machine, learn to keep it dusted and oiled, and it will serve you well.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I have a Pfaff! My sewing machine and serger are both by them and they're stellar machines :) I've had mine for 7 years now, and bought it used and it's still going strong with tune ups every year or so and you know how much I sew! The store I bought mine from also offers upgrades. You may want to ask them as well about lessons. My Pfaff dealer offers free lifetime lessons when you buy from them and I know several other dealers offer the same thing. Congrats! I'm very happy for you! :D

G

GoldLeaf

crwritt said:
What a nice summery dress. Have you been wearing it? I love sewing a new dress and wearing it around.

If you were asking about the dress I made, I haven't had the chance to wear it yet. Its still pretty chilly, I expect to be able to wear it in the next couple months or so. It was a cute dress to learn on that I would actually wear when completed :) I think I may try to find a pattern for a bolero so that I could dress it up enough for work and church.

One thing always leads to another ....

So, Daisy, what dress are you learning on?

Daisy Buchanan

Well, I'm glad to hear that it sounds like I got a pretty decent machine. I was worried because I had never heard of the brand before, being that I'm not a sewer. I was planning on buying a brother, but I couldn't find a dealer near me. But, I'm pretty impressed with the machine I got. Then again, anything in a sewing magine will impress me, for I'd never really looked at them before.

The simple pattern I got is actually a Stitch N'Save pattern by McCalls. I was looking at a Simplicity pattern, but they were sold out. Forgot that I ended up with McCalls. Funny though, the Simplicity pattern I had picked out was the same one that you are doing:) I must say you have excellent taste!:)

These are the patterns that I got. I probably won't attempt the Vogue patterns for a while. They look a bit difficult. But, I thought I'd grab them. I'm gonna start looking at beginner patterns on line, so I can get the hang of the machine before I attempt these difficult ones. I'm anxious to get started on the McCalls pattern but I didn't find fabric that I liked at the store where I bought the machine, so I'll have to wait a few more days. I'll be doing the Vogue patterns in the short version.

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions, and wishes of luck, I certainly do need it!!LOL I know that this will be a test of my patience. However, I just started making my own jewelry. My first vintage inspired necklace was only a double stranded one, but it involved a lot of very tiny beads. This was a great test of my patience, especially since I had to start over twice after having it more than halfway finished:eek: I know that sewing is much more difficult than beading. But beading is teaching me patience, which I have lacked, so I'm thinking that it will at least be good preparation for when I start sewing. At least that's what I'm hoping. But I know that with time and practice I'll adjust to doing things halfway and having to start all over again!!

Lotus Leroux

One of the Regulars
Congratulations Daisy! :) Sounds like you had a fun day. I am sure you will be sewing in no time! It sounds like the women in the shop were helpful and that is so important.

I just upgraded to a Bernina Activa 220 over the weekend. I have been sewing on a White machine for the past few years. It is a great machine but I was ready to upgrade to a computerized model with some more advanced functions. I am looking forward to setting up my new machine...possibly later today. :)

Daisy Buchanan

Lotus Leroux said:
Congratulations Daisy! :) Sounds like you had a fun day. I am sure you will be sewing in no time! It sounds like the women in the shop were helpful and that is so important.

I just upgraded to a Bernina Activa 220 over the weekend. I have been sewing on a White machine for the past few years. It is a great machine but I was ready to upgrade to a computerized model with some more advanced functions. I am looking forward to setting up my new machine...possibly later today. :)
Thanks Lotus!!
Congratulations on your new machine! Let us know how you like it:)

G

GoldLeaf

Daisy lol The easy pattern you ended up buying is the same one that I started out looking for, but was sold out :D

I too picked up some Vintage Vogue patterns. I didn't want to miss out on my opportunity to horde them away ;)

The part of sewing that I dislike the most is laying out the pattern and making sure all your pieces face the same direction. I have had pants and t-shirts that were cheap, and the legs or arms twisted because the pieces were cut out poorly. I just want to cut out the pattern and get going!

I too am learning patience, and started the same way you are, Daisy. Most of my beading projects fell by the way-side. I spill more beads than end up on a string :p

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
Congrats Daisy, I bought a sewing machine about 6 years ago but haven't use it much because I couldn't sew. But I have been taking sewing lessons for some months. I am still a beginner. It's really fun to sew but you must start with an easy pattern otherwise you are goint to despair.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
daisy,

congratulations on your machine!

i suggest jumping in and learning as much as possible, as soon as possible. when i first got my machine, i never used my free lesson, and it took me forever to get over my fear of using it. not that this happens to everyone, but i know a few people with a similar experience.

i love the second vogue pattern you purchased - i've thought about getting that one for awhile.

crwritt

One Too Many
GoldLeaf said:
If you were asking about the dress I made, I haven't had the chance to wear it yet. Its still pretty chilly, I expect to be able to wear it in the next couple months or so. It was a cute dress to learn on that I would actually wear when completed :) I think I may try to find a pattern for a bolero so that I could dress it up enough for work and church.

One thing always leads to another ....

I think a cardigan would look nice with that dress.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hurray Daisy! Sounds like you got a gem, and that's awesome that they'll give you lessons.
Rosie, I'm worse than you... I got my new machine LAST Christmas and haven't even taken it out of the box! I'm petrified of it. I'm so used to my old 56 Kenmore. Alas, I need to make myself learn how to use the different foots and I needed the button holer.

Daisy you've got me inspired.. I hope I can get that machine out and actually make something for summer!

The patterns are darling too!

Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass