Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All things Sewing Machines!

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
My mom got me a very basic White machine for Christmas. It isn't computerized, it actually reminds me a lot of my moms Singer from the 70's. I really like the machine. It is simple enough that I don't feel overwelmed, but the variety of stitches it can do is nice. I have already used a couple of them while sewing the bed for my dog.

The machine is nice and simple without being expensive. It does all that I need it to do now, and if I decide sewing is too much for me, then my mom isn't out a ton of money on the gift :)

Part of the gift was a nice sewing table, and I love it. I wouldn't have anywhere in my tiny apartment to put the machine if I didn't have the table. The table also offers lots of storage space, which is nice.

This wasn't so much advice as just information about my machine. I don't know if I helped at all lol

Viviene

Vendor
I purchased an old Singer sewing machine which is the same model I learned on in Home Ec back in 1973 for my soon to be 10-year-old daughter. I know that machine backwards and forwards so I'll be able to help her when it's necessary. It has the basics and to start out with it will be fine for her.

When she is ready I'll pass on one of my two other sewing machines that do a bit more and we'll pass her machine to her sister to learn on. We're already gathering patterns and fabric for the summer and I am so looking forward to teaching her.

Good luck! It's a wonderful gift you are giving her. :)

Elaina

One Too Many
Anytime you give a gift of a sewing machine, it's best to let them pick it out (barring obvious things like cost).

I sew on a treadle. It goes forward and reverse, but only because I have a weird part on it. I have attachments that will do everything else, and I'd put my clothing against anything sewn on something newer. I can sew stretch fabrics without a zig zag, and my buttonhole attachment looks finer then any machine I've peronally seen. I can sew outside (and have), sewn everything from jersey, leather, jeans, silk and lawn (and only needed a new needle), and control everything on my machine (as well as fixing it, which you just can't DO on modern machines.) My out of date machine cost less then another I have that's newer (from the 50's) and has qound up costing me hundreds less from the work that has needed to be done.

Does it matter? Only as much as if she'll keep up sewing. For the price and condition, she'll learn like the rest of us did on the old ones, and probably be better off when faced with a newer machine, because she'll rely more on her technique then the machine to handle it.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Elaina, I was hoping you'd respond, too.
To sum up the response here, there is no
consensus.

At this point I'm thinking I'll do this:

- learn how to use the White Rotary myself this weekend. I'll see
how difficult it is to sew curves (and how well it works).

- Assuming all goes well, give her the White machine, with the
following caveat: if it doesn't work for her, I will get her
another machine which she can help to pick out.

- If all does not go well with the White machine, I will
pursue a newer Sears model or something that a reputable
store can show me is easy to use. I still have time.

And regardless, I will find her a couple of sewing classes for
the summer.

Thanks so much to everyone. And feel free to continue to
comment if you'd like.

Elaina

One Too Many
I was in a car accident, so I've just not been around.

White Rotary? I know several folks that are pretty darn near experts on those machines. If you like, I can contact her and see if I can give you her address if you need any help or develop problems, or just need a manual.

As to vintage vs. modern, you probably won't find a consensus. I prefer them, I sew on one that even my design instructor thought I should be in a padded cell for using (albeit, I make better clothing then he does) and my limitations are only from myself. (For the record, I can and have sewn on modern machines.) I can show you several that disagree with me, and probably a few can do that on the lounge.

I personally don't agree with the modern fabrics have special sewing needs, but then I sew on a machine that never saw a synthethic when the machine was the top of the line. So my milage always seems to vary.

feltfan

Elaina, sorry to hear about the accident. I hope
you're doing better now.

The machine I picked up has the original manual.
I'm going to take that in hand and try to figure out
the machine this weekend. If, after that, I need more
help, I will take you up on the offer to contact your friend.

Thanks!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Help with sewing machine?

Hi girls~ I have a 1956 Kenmore sewing machine. I don't sew much, and don't know much about machines. I am more afraid of them than computers! I have a brand new machine I got TWO Christmas' ago that is still in the box because I'm petrified of it.

But now my old one is acting up. I try to run something thru and it just stays in the same place with a whirling sound as if the belt is loose. It's not the belt, and I changed it just to be sure. I oiled it. I checked the tension. There aren't any tangled threads. I can't figure it out, any ideas? It was fine last time I used it! I do love this machine and will take it somewhere if need be.

Nikki

vintagelaura

New in Town
I had a similar problem with a 1970-something Singer. I took it to the repair shop, she adjusted it/fixed it, it ran for a week and the problem reoccured. I took it back (under warranty), she adjusted it/fixed it, it ran for a week and the problem reoccured. This went on a few times until I eventually gave up and bought a new machine.

But I agree with Lady Day that the best thing to do is take it to a repair shop and find out what they say.

Laura

vintagelaura

New in Town
First, I'll admit that I've never owned an older machine. My first was a late 1970s, secondhand Singer, and when that died (almost as soon as I got it home), I bought a new Husqvarna Huskystar model in the $200 range.

From what my friends have told me, the old (1930s-1950s) are workhorses and will last forever. They're a great value. But my feeling is that it might not be a good starting point for a 13 year old who wants to sew dolls. My opinion is more or less what your ballet costumer-friend said: "She really needs to have the different stitches for the newer fabrics she'd be working with." I personally would look for a newer model (within the last few years) with basic functions. My Huskystar isn't computerized, but it has something like 20 stitches and an automatic buttonholer. Honestly, it has everything I need and I'm not even glancing at more expensive, digital machines.

There are a lot of entry-level machines out there in the $100-$200 range that will do everything she wants for a long time. If she progresses beyond doll making, and wants to make her own clothes, the buttonholer will be very useful. Heck, if she wants to make clothes for her dolls, the buttonholer will be useful.

An instructor told me that Singers were great up to the 1950s or so, but they no longer make a reliable, long-lasting machine. Husqvarna is the big thing in my area, but I have seen Pfaffs too. I'm not sure about the Whites...

Let us know how it goes!

Laura

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Wahhh..
What is an estimated cost just to have it looked at? I'm sure it varies from shop to shop and location, but just ballpark?
Nikk

vintagelaura

New in Town
ohairas said:
Wahhh..
What is an estimated cost just to have it looked at? I'm sure it varies from shop to shop and location, but just ballpark?
Nikk

I don't remember a cost to have it looked at...It was in 2001 when I took my Singer in, and it was $80 or $90, I think, to have it looked at & "fixed."

Laura

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
Unleash the feed dogs?

My wife is sitting here, reading over my shoulder. (Actually, she sat on my lap, so she's not reading over my shoulder, but that's beside the point.)

Anyway, she said it could be the feed dogs, (the toothy things coming up from the bottom of the machine.) On most machines, there's an adjustment to these gizmos. It may be just a matter of adjusting them upwards.

Make more sense to you than it does to me? I hope so.

Also, (says she,) her (newer than 1956) Kenmore disengages the feed dogs when you are filling the bobbin. She doesn't think a 1956 would have this, but it wouldn't hurt to check to make sure the bobbin-filling mode isn't engaged. (I had to finish this on my own, since she just left the room. I'm sewing-machine illiterate, unfortunately, but I think a transcribed what she said more or less accurately.)

feltfan

Thanks to all for your help.
I researched and looked at a variety of
new machines for a beginner.

Unexpectedly, I ended up going with a Meissner
(repackaged as a Husqvarna Viking) that a friend
had. She had brought it in for a complete overhaul
and then never used it (she does have four other
sewing machines and two backups for the two
unique machines among the four). She and I
agreed that the Meissner would be more likely
to stay in alignment than some of the plastic gear
machines available in my price range. The Meissner
is 70s "vintage", so not exactly an antique like the
White Rotary. It has the kinds of options one finds
on new (non-digital) sewing machines.

Best of all, the Meissner was free, leaving me to spend my
money on sewing classes. I have found these, among others:

http://www.stonemountainfabric.com/pages/class.html

I also bought her a decent pair of scissors (do not use on paper!),
a seam ripper, black and white thread, pearl headed pins,
replacement needles for the Meissner, and a cardboard pattern board.

I might be attending the classes myself, and learning
to use that White Rotary electric...

Thanks again.

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
New Sewing Machine

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to buy a new sewing machine. I haven't had a new one in over ten years, and I know there is a lot more the machine can do now.

With everyone who sews here on this forum I thought I would get some opinions on some of the features before I buy.

Which features do you wish you had on your machine to make sewing life easier?

Which machines are you absolutely in love with?

Thanks,
Ann

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
PA Dancer said:
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to buy a new sewing machine. I haven't had a new one in over ten years, and I know there is a lot more the machine can do now.

With everyone who sews here on this forum I thought I would get some opinions on some of the features before I buy.

Which features do you wish you had on your machine to make sewing life easier?

Which machines are you absolutely in love with?

Thanks,
Ann

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=16468&highlight=sewing+machines

is probably a better thread for reading and asking on various machine help and opinions for.

Kishtu

Practically Family
Ann, this is going to be absolutely NO use to you whatsoever but wot the heck.

When me and Himself started the business we went through electric sewing machines like a thing not right. Seriously, we were taking them back within the week, they just couldn't handle sewing anything more heavy duty than cotton.

So..... *drum roll*

He found me a very, very vintage Singer, so old it's not even a treadle (we're guessing late 30s/early 40s - next model up from the one with the built in table!) I would recommend an old hand-cranked machine over electric every time.
1) You can "feel" the tension on the hand wheel, so if your needle is struggling to go through gathers or heavy fabric you can stop and readjust your work. Forcing it will either bust your needle or eventually mess your tracking up.
2) If you live in a flat or with other people, you can start sewing at 6am, or finish at 4 - it's much quieter than a motor
3) It's more environmentally friendly :p
4) They're a heck of a sight sturdier than a lot of modern models - unless you're prepared to pay serious money for an all-singing and all-dancing model.
5) You can usually fix 'em yourself, if you're mechanically minded - they're pretty simple machinery.

Singer, and vintage. EVERY time. That one cos me £20 from a charity shop. It does absolutely nothing but straight sewing, but my goodness! it's a workhorse!

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
Miss Neecerie said:
http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=16468&highlight=sewing+machines

is probably a better thread for reading and asking on various machine help and opinions for.

I was a little unsure where to put this question.
I did a search and saw on the threads on sewing machines.

Lessons and FAQ'a
My First Machine
New vs Vintage
And so on.

None really related to someone looking for a new machine who knows how to sew....and I dare not start a dup thread. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80