Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette

Sly Style

Familiar Face
Hat Etiquette

Perhaps this is a topic regularly covered, though I did spend some time with the old search button and wasn't able to uncover anything.

What is considered proper hat etiqutte? As in, when is it proper to wear your hat, where should you remove it, what should you do with it when removed in public places, what about when driving, and other such similar questions. I was curious what people's takes on this might be, and that I could garner some information to avoid a chapeau faux pas when I do start wearing a hat on a regular basis.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I will speak for myself.
I wear my hat outdoors and in indoor public spaces like lobbies and atriums or stores.
I wear my hat in my car unless the crown is too tall.
I tip my hat and give way when a woman is passing when eye contact is made.
I wear my hat in elevator untill a woman enters.
I do not wear my hat in private homes or spaces.
When holding my hat it done so with the liner to the body.
If there is no place to hang or keep my hat I will place it on my lap.

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
DOUGLAS said:
I will speak for myself.
I wear my hat outdoors and in indoor public spaces like lobbies and atriums or stores.
I wear my hat in my car unless the crown is too tall.
I tip my hat and give way when a woman is passing when eye contact is made.
I wear my hat in elevator untill a woman enters.
I do not wear my hat in private homes or spaces.
When holding my hat it done so with the liner to the body.
If there is no place to hang or keep my hat I will place it on my lap.

Nicely put, Douglas. I think you've covered it pretty well!

Removing your hat to show respect.

Remove you hat to show respect for:

the Flag, Pledge, parades.

Church

Elders

Funerals

Gravesite, memorials.

WHen you are feeling the tug to show respect, it probably will be the right thing to do.

:cheers1:

nulty

One of the Regulars
courthouse

I had to answer a summons for Jury Duty and wore a fedora to the courthouse. I was duly reminded to remove it when in the que signing up...I thought tho that I did not have to remove it until I actually entered the courtroom. Maybe that's what the old gal was trying to tell me.....

I don't take it off in Banks or Post Offices unless I'm there to meet an official. And I have reservations about taking it off in the presence of elected officials but as a sign of respect I usually do.

DOUGLAS

John is absolutely correct, Although I have worn a hat during a burial untill the priest begins to speak. However when in doubt remove it. Removing your hat while in front of someone or something you revere is for me a gesture of respect just as saying sir or madam.

ideaguy

One Too Many
Thank you, Douglas and John, for reminding us of the basic etiquette that
should pertain to daily life, with or without a hat; we seem to be the last generation that will have heard these guidelines first-hand, from fathers and mothers that performed these simple acts with a smile and a connection with other people that held a common decency with the respect deserved, no matter what the differences in social classes- it was merely done. We are indeed fortunate that a simple object-a hat-grounds us, reminds us of the little kindnesses that make such a difference. Corny-maybe-but if it works to keep me a civil person, I'll follow the simple rules of etiquette, and feel better for it.

Sly Style

Familiar Face
Excellent, all some very good information. Covers almost everything. The only question that reminds in me mind is what about an event such as a dance or a concert? I think thats the only situation that isn't included in those lovely Post articles.

DOUGLAS

If the concert is a formal sit down type then your hat should be removed.
If it is a dance that requires the company of a woman then your hat should be removed, unless it is a square dance.

moustache

Practically Family
Indeed!!

Cruiser said:
Nicely put, Douglas. I think you've covered it pretty well!

Agreed here as well. All bases covered.I do all of the same things except for inside the car as i have a low ceiling :)

JD

Sly Style

Familiar Face
For me this also brings up a few more questions. What of a bar or club, also a pool hall? I would think that might be the same as a dance, if ladies are present then hats off, if not then hats on.

That being said the general rule seems to be that its ok to leave the hat on in a room, small or otherwise if ladies are not present, this being of course in a public place and not the home. An example being the office.

nulty

One of the Regulars
I think it's OK to leave the hat on in the places you mention as long as the hat is removed or tipped toward the female when she arrives or when eye contact is made...the few times I'm in a bar I usually leave the hat on....If it's the type of place I have to remove my hat I probably wouldn't hang there too long...[huh]

Dinner is different..I'll leave it on at the bar waiting for a table but remove it when we sit down to eat....

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
New etiquette resource

Inspired by this thread, comments in other threads, and frequent personal encounters, I was inspired to start writing my own etiquette guide. Mine though, is a little different from others that you're likely to find, at least on the internet.

What I'm trying to do is take classical "golden era" rules and, with a minimum of changes, make them relevant enough to modern times that (hopefully) more people will be willing to learn and follow them.

The first section, Hat Etiquette, is now available here: http://balder.prohosting.com/jmiheve/
Click on "Modern Etiquette" in the left menu.

Comments, suggestions, and constructive criticisms are welcome.

I don't really consider this part finished, but it is ready for consumption and feedback.

Bartenders, if you feel this should be moved or started as a new thread in another room of the Lounge, feel free and let me know.

-Jake

Sly Style

Familiar Face
The only issue that I can see with that is a suggestion to place one's hat on the table. I have always held that not only is that bad form, its also incredibly bad luck. Otherwise, I enjoy your simple and straightforward guide.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Sly Style said:
The only issue that I can see with that is a suggestion to place one's hat on the table. I have always held that not only is that bad form, its also incredibly bad luck. Otherwise, I enjoy your simple and straightforward guide.

I agree that under normal circumstances this would be bad form, but I think it's less so than wearing it. I don't know about bad luck though, except that a server might spill something on it. :eek:

The only reason I suggest it at all is that I do feel that putting it on the table is better than wearing it, and it's safer than the floor. Basically, it's the best of bad options. [huh]

-Jake

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters