Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette

Sounds to me like you may have something there, Moon! I'll be asking my mother's community (senior living residence, average age is 88) for some insight. If that was the case, the hat hanging/holding infrastructure would have then developed around that behavior...? I have serious respect for both you guys, and have to look both ways at this issue now!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'm well aware of diner etiquette and the cultural significance of the counter, though the counter in diners came about from the construction limitations of the early lunch wagon trade and the width limitations of roads which allowed for their delivery rather than a desire to create a restaurant for single diners. If you go back further, diners from the 1880s-mid 1920s (and depending on the manufacturer, into the 1950s) had exclusively counters, until booths were introduced in the 1920s, specifically for women so sit as, as the counter was not considered "appropriate". Lots of interesting signage from that period, "Ladies Invited", "Tables for Ladies". These were generally deuce booths. By the later '30s, steel framing and multi section modular construction allowed for larger booths, which were almost universally provided with hat racks. Fancier restaurants generally provided hat checks. In the absence of any safe place to put a hat, such as the close confines of a counter, it was acceptable to be worn.

But like I say, hat etiquette, like any made up fashion rules, is extremely fluid, changing over time and geographically. What was the rule for counters and the reasoning originally had changed by later decades. And in many cases, what was once practical and polite is no longer.

Last edited:
I always thought the counter and bar, like an entryway, is still considered "common area." Like a hallway or lobby. I too have never heard your explanation, but it's interesting you've gotten that feedback. Could it be a regional thing?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
All I have to go by is what I was told directly from people who were there when this etiquette was held strong.
I was seeking these people out to ask them about this specifically while studying hat wearing in NY and gathering pictures of hat wearing in NY with intentions of eventually writing a book... Those intentions have dulled over the years.
But the data I gathered was from people who were there.
But dinermans points are valid of course

Much respect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I found this is another thread [non-Shorpy All-Stars, I think] - McKinney, TX 1940 - a nice of mix of who is, and who isn't, wearing their hat while dining.

med_res

I noticed that too and thought abt mentioning it somewhere. So interesting that the gentlemen at the counter are wearing and those at the tables arent...

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
And if you sit down at a table, but you are actually outside . . . .

Men gathered at the Samarkas Street Cafe - Tarpon Springs, Florida - 1947. See more at: https://www.floridamemory.com/

And you can wear your hat inside an office - if you are the Governor.

Acting Governor Charley E. Johns in his office - Starke, Florida - 1953. See more at: https://www.floridamemory.com/

I believe outdoors all bets are off

... and the governor can do whatever he wants :)

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
My take. At the end of the day, when all is said and done... just go out hatted and what you do with your hat once your out is nobody's business but your own.

40Cal

One Too Many
I was at an Italian restaurant with my family last night. No hat rack, no open seat next to me to put my hat on, couldn't fit it under the chair I was sitting in. Finally gave it to my wife and she wore it during dinner . Looked real cute on her too... and no laws of etiquette broken!

javadave61

Practically Family
I was at an Italian restaurant with my family last night. No hat rack, no open seat next to me to put my hat on, couldn't fit it under the chair I was sitting in. Finally gave it to my wife and she wore it during dinner . Looked real cute on her too... and no laws of etiquette broken!

My daughter wears mine. She's my portable hat rack.

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
Question, if the patrons seated at tables had nowhere to hang their hats and all 4 seats were occupied, as well as the other tables being occupied, would they be forced ,so to speak, to keep their hats on, would they be guilty of showing disrespect to their fellow diners? Rules regarding dress have all but been tortured except for those of us who try to adhere to them, "without going overboard" and are familiar with them. I believe the same goes for hat etiquette. Establishments no longer accommodate, with few exceptions, hat wearers, heck, they don't even care if your properly attired. In my opinion, and it's just that, most people today wouldn't know about hat etiquette as they would about proper dress. As I posted earlier, I try to use good judgement and common sense, again "without going overboard". Hat in church, court, fine restaurant and a few other places, no brainer. Eatery, diner, that does not provide a place to hang it, it stays on my head, and has nothing to do with deference or the lack thereof, for whomever I'm facing. I didn't distort the "so called" rules of dress and etiquette, it was done by those who didn't know or weren't taught them them in the first place. That doesn't mean we should abandon them completely but use them as guides without being anal or pedantic about them.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

Good!

facade

A-List Customer
Question, if the patrons seated at tables had nowhere to hang their hats and all 4 seats were occupied, as well as the other tables being occupied, would they be forced ,so to speak, to keep their hats on, would they be guilty of showing disrespect to their fellow diners? Rules regarding dress have all but been tortured except for those of us who try to adhere to them, "without going overboard" and are familiar with them. I believe the same goes for hat etiquette. Establishments no longer accommodate, with few exceptions, hat wearers, heck, they don't even care if your properly attired. In my opinion, and it's just that, most people today wouldn't know about hat etiquette as they would about proper dress. As I posted earlier, I try to use good judgement and common sense, again "without going overboard". Hat in church, court, fine restaurant and a few other places, no brainer. Eatery, diner, that does not provide a place to hang it, it stays on my head, and has nothing to do with deference or the lack thereof, for whomever I'm facing. I didn't distort the "so called" rules of dress and etiquette, it was done by those who didn't know or weren't taught them them in the first place. That doesn't mean we should abandon them completely but use them as guides without being anal or pedantic about them.

Hat etiquette no longer exists amongst the general public. Etiquette is a set of social rules to prevent unintended insult. If no one understands, follows, or is offended by the failure to follow the etiquette, the rules themselves are no longer relevant. Following hat etiquette is an anachronism.

So no you are not being disrespectful because in all likelihood no one in the restaurant cares whether you wear your hat or not. A few here and there might think you had less than perfect manners, but that is much different than being disrespectful.

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
Hat etiquette no longer exists amongst the general public. Etiquette is a set of social rules to prevent unintended insult. If no one understands, follows, or is offended by the failure to follow the etiquette, the rules themselves are no longer relevant. Following hat etiquette is an anachronism.

So no you are not being disrespectful because in all likelihood no one in the restaurant cares whether you wear your hat or not. A few here and there might think you had less than perfect manners, but that is much different than being disrespectful.

You made my point, but much more succinct that I did. Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner