Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette

riccardo

Practically Family
...there is only a question...

Great thread,
but the question is the same: to pinch or not to pinch the crown?
How may we to lift our hat, where would we bring it:by the crown...?
Need help about it.
Regards.
Riccardo.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
interesting to know...hopefully I won't simply become paralyzed trying to remember what to do the next time I'm in one of those situations! I imagine that the level of these rules being observed was likely less in the big city than in small towns.

Mulberrywood

New in Town
I liked the elevator theory information. However, I always take off my hat when I enter a building, even in a corridor. I am not sure why, it just seems correct.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Answer

riccardo said:
Great thread,
but the question is the same: to pinch or not to pinch the crown?
How may we to lift our hat, where would we bring it:by the crown...?
Need help about it.
Regards.
Riccardo.

My edition of Emily Post from the 1940's explains that lifting the hat is simply "touching the brim," not lifting it off the head.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Training

Mulberrywood said:
...However, I always take off my hat when I enter a building, even in a corridor. I am not sure why, it just seems correct.

I can still hear my Momma's voice: "Take off your hat" - "wipe your feet" - "don't chew with your mouth open" - and on, and on, and on ...

My Daddy taught by example, but my Momma taught by repetition (with a liberal application of the fly swatter to my legs if I didn't get with the program right away :) ). At the time it irritated me no end, but looking back (way back that is :) ) I am very, very thankful that they cared enough about me to teach me how to behave in public.

riccardo

Practically Family
Many thanks.

scotrace said:
My edition of Emily Post from the 1940's explains that lifting the hat is simply "touching the brim," not lifting it off the head.
Thank you very much Scotrace,
now i've given an answer to a lot of my questions.
Regards.
Riccardo

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
Frankly, this is the sort of thing that makes one understand why people stopped wearing hats.

Take off the hat inside a building is one thing - but most of that is, frankly, contrived and ridiculous.

riccardo

Practically Family
photobyalan said:
Most of them are louts who neither know nor care what constitutes good etiquette

Wearing a hat gets you noticed. Knowing how to wear a hat makes an impression.
Wonderful,photobyalan,you're right!

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
Ahhh, but where do you put it while dining???

I tend to agree with BigMan - I'm a kid of the fifties and remember wearing my JC Penney navy blue porkpie to church with my young man's blue Robert Hall suit. By the age of 10 the basics of 50's hat etiquette was secondary and habit. Some of the old details may be lost nowadays, by virtue - or vice - of the hurried and impersonal nature of the times, but the purposes behind the courtesies of lid fashion still dictate some responsibilty on the part of the wearer.

One personal beef...since very few restaurants and bars have hat racks, much less maintain a hat and coat check facility, where does one put his lid while eating at the typical chain restaurant or local bistro???? Here in Fla, heaven forbid, I have seen no one in 15 years remove his hat - including Panamas - in a bar or restaurant!!! Upon entering and eatery or bar, I feel compelled to have mine in hand before the door closes behind me...but when seated, what should I do? I sure as hell don't want the leftovers of someone's seafood pasta or spilled Budweiser ---ahhhuggghhh---, on the crown of my Borso...Guinness would be OK, I guess... :cheers1:

Siirous

One of the Regulars
My question too

Putalidonit,

Also living in Fla, I was wondering the exact same thing. When I go into a restaurant if there is an empty chair or stool next to me I'll put it there. If it's a casual place, like at the beach or such and there's no room I'll just suck it up and wear it indoors :( Else I just try and store it somewhere around the table where I know it won't get damaged.

What do you guys up in the cold cold north due in the winter when you go out with coats, jackets, scarfs, mittens, etc?

Rob

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
In restaurants...

I make a point of asking where the hat rack is (even when I know there's none). Usually I find the most convenient place to hang it in proximity to my seat, where I can see it. Often this is some place not meant to hang hats, such as a wall ornament. If there's no place to hang it, and no seat to put it on, I put a napkin on the floor under my chair and place it brim-up.

guitone

Familiar Face
Snrbfshn said:
I make a point of asking where the hat rack is (even when I know there's none). Usually I find the most convenient place to hang it in proximity to my seat, where I can see it. Often this is some place not meant to hang hats, such as a wall ornament. If there's no place to hang it, and no seat to put it on, I put a napkin on the floor under my chair and place it brim-up.

I like the napkin under the seat idea, maybe a restaurant will get the idea, if not at least the hat stays clean...just gotta remember it, that's all. I generally leave then in the car when dining out but that defeats the purpose many times.

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
I too have found that no hatracks can be found in most places. I have thought about asking tha waiter/waitress to secure it somewhere, but fear that it may become damaged. So I either place it on an empty seat or I place it ontop of my girlfriends purse. She usually sits her purse on the floor next to her chair. So I cover it with my hat. The purse is tall enough to keep the hat from actually touching the floor. I like the idea with the napkin under the chair, and will do that if the situation arises.

Another thought about tipping your hat for a lady. Everyday, I see lots of women and girls, but I don't run across to many ladies anymore.

Chad

David V

A-List Customer
Hello all. New to the forum.

An interesting thing about baseball caps. It is considered a man's hat. Therefor, the rules that apply to mens hats still hold true even if worn by a woman!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails