Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmond Recrafting

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
KILO NOVEMBER said:
Are they only used on specific types of soles, or could they be added to any leather sole?
They are called toe plates and they can be added to most any sole by a competent cobbler. That said, they are usually a bespoke/MTO feature installed at the time of manufacture. I know of one cobbler in NYC who has the plates and the expertise though I'm sure there are others around the country.

cptjeff

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
They are called toe plates and they can be added to most any sole by a competent cobbler. That said, they are usually a bespoke/MTO feature installed at the time of manufacture. I know of one cobbler in NYC who has the plates and the expertise though I'm sure there are others around the country.
And if you have questions about the process, the guy who runs B nelson posts over on Styleforum.

Fifty150

One Too Many
.... I'd cut to the chase and use Topy.

I think that Vibram is a better product. But I guess there isn't that much difference when it comes to soling sheets. It's just a layer of rubber.

I have to think about how I would run, if needed, in my dress shoes. Sure footing is a must. Every new pair of leather soles gets a Vibram soling sheet applied before I even go out in them. Not that I don't love the luxury of slipping and sliding in leather soles. It just that Gene Kelly never had to chase after a bad guy, and I can't dance circles around a fleeing felon.

AEwVibram.jpg

Fifty150

One Too Many
I have to admit that when I watched AE's video, it amused me that boxing the shoes for shipping counts as one of their 38 steps...

[video=youtube;1cT5VJmmgVM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cT5VJmmgVM[/video][video=youtube;6HeE_eYOvjg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HeE_eYOvjg[/video]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav