Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alley Kat Hat Co

elveston

Familiar Face
Can Tim's hats take 6 inches of rain? - No problem!

First, I picked up one of Tim's rabbit felts on Ebay several months ago and was very impressed with the quality, workmanship, fit, and communication. I immediately ordered a beaver felt based on the rabbit hat and several of the Penman hats I've seen on the lounge and his website. Needless to say, Tim delivered. The Whiskey beaver is beautiful, with a softness that the rabbit felts just can't match. The shape is exactly what I was looking for ... causal and comfortable. The hat has already picked up more compliments than any of my other 30 or so hats.

But, I'm just not one to leave well enough alone. I grew up on a farm in East Texas where it rained about 50 to 70 inches each year. Not having really nice headgear back then, I got used to working with a wet head. Even though I now don't have to get out in the rain very often, and probably have enough sense to actually stay out of it, I still enjoy a nice walk through a good downpour. And, last week Houston had a really good downpour ... about 6 inches over two days. And I managed to get in several nice walks to see how Tim's hat would stand up to a complete soaking. Again, I was impressed. Eventually, the hat did soak through with the interior getting noticeably wet. I continued to wear it for an hour or two, then let it dry on a hatstand overnight. Except for a light water stain on the liner, the hat is in perfect condition. In fact, I think it looks better than it did before. Did I say I was impressed?

Right now, I think there's not any better value out there, especially for a beaver felt. But if anyone knows of one, let me know. I'd like to get one of those, too.

Attachments

• Whiskey Beaver.jpg
    Whiskey Beaver.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 251
  • CRM Dry.jpg
    CRM Dry.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 253
  • CRM Wet.jpg
    CRM Wet.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 243

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the road test report elveston, nice to know what a hat is capable of. Congrats on a fine hat too and to Tim's skill.

illumin8em

A-List Customer
Hopping for some advice. I am starting to feel like I am taking away from this hats natural shape by getting rid of so much of the height in the bash. I am very thin framed these days, and I worry the hat overwhelms me. Does there come a time when too much is too much? Opinions, advice? Great hat by the way, thanks tom and tim

no glamor shots but the are the best i had

job

One Too Many
If it were me I would raise the crown height a lot more. Try that and you will get used to it. I think there is just too much brim for a deep crease.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I think you could go a "smidge" hicher with the overall height. But since you're wearing it "brim up" and on the back of your head I think it looks cool as it is. You're the ultimate arbiter of how you wear your gear. I lowered the crown on my CRM myself so you're not alone.

Worf

Geldoc

One of the Regulars
I agree with Worf - for the brim-up look, this crown height is cool. Che, what do you think?
On the other hand, for a brim down (in front) look I agree with John - much higher is better.
In either case, you've got a great hat. Enjoy.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
At first, it looked like the crease was too deep, but now that I see it on you it looks fine. But IMO, you could raise the front part of crown just a little more and keep the rear as is.

Landman

One Too Many
I agree with Johnny J too. Bring the front of the crown up a little bit and I think it would look much better.

Beautiful hat by the way! Tim does great work.

illumin8em

A-List Customer
Thanks for all the advice fellas, I am probably a bit more self conscious due to being very under weight at the moment and feel swallowed up by my clothes in general. I will leave it be for now. I still wear it every single day regardless, it is the perfect oval long shape for my long oval head.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
It looks good on you i8em I have a Long Oval head & Ive noticed that guys that I know that are LO tend to wear the brim up.
If it was mine on me I would raise the front about 1/4 '' you do have a deep diamond.

Heck ill wear a tall crown brim up I stay away from low crowns & I don't think your weight loss has any effect on your hat profile..
Ive also noticed in the past that brim up goes well with wider vintage cut clothing example
I collect & wear Hollywood leisure jackets & brim up looks pretty Hep not Hip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred