Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alright Pipe Smokers. It's the question that has destroyed countless friendships.

Tiller

Practically Family
Alright fellow pipe smokers. It's the question that has destroyed countless friendships in the pipe smoking community, and its time we got some answers here. Matches or pipe lighter? Let the fight begin!

CigarMan

One of the Regulars
Darn you tiller . . . the mess your getting us into . . .I say pipe lighter with regular soft flame . . .torch-type flames are a big no-no.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Ive used both to light pipes and cigars. If you know how to draw properly, it really doesnt matter. The main criticism Ive always heard about lighters is the smell of the fluid gets into the tobacco. Gas lighters are supposed to fix that 'problem.'

Kid Mac

Practically Family
Usually wooden matches. If outdoors, I use an Altoids "Tiny Tin" as a used match safe.

If outdoors on the move (dog walking), I might use a zippo pipe lighter but only on lower-end pipes.

Dry ashes,
Mac

Highlander

A-List Customer
Matches.. Mainly because I've never had a good lighter that ever worked for more than a week. And every one I ever tried to refill seemed to get air in it. Anyway, being a simple man, WOODEN MATCHES. :)

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I use...

...a torch lighter and have for years and have never had any trouble with it. It allows me to quickly and effectively light my pipe.

I can't imagine what the problem would be.

I use whatever's around. I usually smoke cigars, so I usually just have a Bic lighter laying about. But I usually keep my pipe gear together so mathces are close by. I know I'm gonna get it for that Bic Comment!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I have a Zippo pipe lighter, but I like my grandpa's old Nimrod lighter even though it's bulkier. Still prefer matches, though.

lrg_nimrod.jpg

John Boyer

A-List Customer
I use an IM Corona Lighter Old Boy Black Matte. I little pricey, but I have two of these lighters that I have been using for nearly 5 years and they are extremely reliable. I used to purchase cheap lighters that failed within weeks or months. Not so with the IM Corona. John

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
shortbow said:
I hate to admit it, but I use a bic most of the time. For me the convenience far outweighs the vintage appeal of the wooden match.

It's not quite vintage appeal. I read somewhere (it was The Art of Pipe Smoking or something along those lines) that inside every pipe smoker is a little boy who loves lighting kitchen matches. lol ;)

Geesie

Practically Family
Nick D said:
Matches in general, though I've been known to borrow a lighter on windier days.

Indeed.
I've been a bit embarrassed when I've packed a nice pipe, pulled out the matches casually and had 5 in a row fail to light. It really undermines the suave sophistication of the pipe!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner