Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I Too Old?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Do it! I'll be happy to help it along by posting pics of my (albeit small, but very nice) collection of vintage things.

I didn't get into vintage clothing et al seriously until 2009- I was 50-1/2yo. All of my vintage clothing (I wear 1940s) is age appropriate. There is plenty of lovely vintage things out there to wear for the 45+ age range of ladies. We have the life experience and self confidence to pull off the drama and glamour that the younger crowd does not yet possess. When I grow up I want to dress like Helen Mirren, and Juliette Binoche!

Hi all.:)

Should I start a new thread for vintage clothing for Women of a Certain Age..? :(

- annyth

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I'm 44 and I think that you can wear a 'younger' vintage style than a woman of your age would have worn at the time (does that make sense?!) as long as you don't go too cutesy. I wear mostly 40's and probably don't dress as a 44 year old would have back then but probably how a 20-something would have, but as there wasn't the huuuge gulf between the way women dressed at those ages back then it seems to work just fine.

jessesage

New in Town
I like your point, W-D Forties! Aside from just wearing what you want and being yourself, you can wear a lot more options in vintage wear and still look "proper" nowadays whearas the outfit would have been inappropriate during the actual time (40s, 50s, etc).

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Hi all.:)

I'm very new to the FL, though I've lurked for a good long while..

Reading all the posts in here, I'm sort of intimidated by the amazing crafting and sewing skills you all seem to have... :eek: But also by the fact that you're all so............ Young.

I am 48 next month. Am I the oldest woman in the Fedora Lounge?

Should I start a new thread for vintage clothing for Women of a Certain Age..? :(

I'm not just collecting statistics. But I do look at some of the wonderful pics and accounts of vintage clothes and accessories posted in here and think, Hmmmm... But maybe I'm just too old for that...........

- annyth

This is 2013.... you are never too old... if you look good, you look good. Seriously, that's all there is to it and you can wear everything that looks decent on you.

She Christie Brinkley ...she is almost 60

Take a tip from her..... any man can tell you she is much much better looking than any fat, pimply 18year old teenager. :)

yes she is!;)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
one last photo of mom Christie Brinkley and her daughter.... know what I'm saying?

the blonde is the mom ....what.... well yes...this is 2013

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Too old for what? To dress with verve and FUN? To enjoy playing with clothes, and jewelry? To stand apart from the rest, to not be dressed like the 'herd', what I call the "casualization" of America, in relation to clothing. Say it ain't so, Joe!

I wear what suits my Spring colouring, my now-more-mature curvaceous figure, my diverse interests, and my youthful, playful, and energetic personality. I wear what I like, what looks good on me, and makes me feel good! I adore colour, and love wearing silk, lace, and baubles, spangles and beads!

Helen Mirren, Juliette Binoche, and Judi Dench are good ladies-of-a-certain-age-with-great-style fashion role models for me.

I wore this red beaded and sequin dress that I found in a vintage shop just last night!

Tom wore his vintage early 1940s midnight blue DB tuxedo

Last edited:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I present for your opinion two lovely, elegant (albeit older) actresses of the 1940s.

Here is Isobel Elsom and Barbara Brown as Mrs. Maria Castro and Mrs. Delfina Acuña respectively, in the 1942 film with Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth You Were Never Lovelier. Isobel E. was 50 when the film was made, and my height. Barbara B. was 42. I'd love to replicate every one of their dresses and their hats from this film!

BTW, this film is such a GREAT one for the older ladies and young ladies here too for clothes, hats and HAIRDOS of the early 1940s. Forget Rita, look at the two older ladies and the two younger sisters!! Each of the four have their own very specific style and look.

Isobel Elsom:

Barbara Brown:

Last edited:

W-D Forties

Practically Family
one last photo of mom Christie Brinkley and her daughter.... know what I'm saying?

To be honest though, it's very clear she has had work done. There is no late 50-something woman on this earth that looks like that naturally, I don't care how good your genes are!

That's not to say that women of this age and older don't naturally look fantastic - they/we do - but celebrities are not great role models when it comes to aging gracefully. She does look beautiful and clearly takes great care of herself, but I'm not kidding myself that her face would look quite like that without a little help.

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
To be honest though, it's very clear she has had work done. There is no late 50-something woman on this earth that looks like that naturally, I don't care how good your genes are!

That's not to say that women of this age and older don't naturally look fantastic - they/we do - but celebrities are not great role models when it comes to aging gracefully. She does look beautiful and clearly takes great care of herself, but I'm not kidding myself that her face would look quite like that without a little help.

Most likely, yes. She looks great though, not fake looking at all (from what I see in these pics). If we didn't know her real age, we probably wouldn't be able to guess that she is the age she is. I am a total advocate of plastic surgery as long as you are subtle with it, and are doing it for you and only you. You can very easily overstep the botox and end up looking much older than you are. *shudder*

And while I'm on it, I am 28 and want to be Stockard Channing in this pic when I grow up.
stockard-channing-and-practical-magic-gallery.jpg

Attachments

• stockard-channing-and-practical-magic-gallery.jpg
    stockard-channing-and-practical-magic-gallery.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 215

vintageTink

One Too Many
I love that movie. But I keep expecting her to start singing about Sandra Dee.

My first reaction to seeing the title of the thread, without reading content, was just to respond with "Yes. Yes, you are." That is how I know God exists...He helps me engage the snark filter.

GHT

I'll Lock Up

Hadley, Christie, is awesome, but the problem with quoting a celebrity is that there are those that argue, celebrities have the time and money to devote to a regime that will give an enviable look. Christie's figure however, really is inspirational.
Have you ever heard of Virginia Harvey? I hope not. Virginia is a ballroom dancer, and she still competes. She dances in four inch heels, yet is so nimble. She has grace, style, elegance and she has never lost her looks. Virginia is 100 years young.
Click to see Virginia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters