Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Amy Winehouse

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Are we talking about the same Amy Winehouse here? Classy??? I really like her music, but my lord is she a mess. She constantly looks like she needs a wash. With a jet spray. Her hair looks like a stinky, greasy bird's nest and she has prison tattoos, missing teeth and does interviews on TV off her face on alcohol/drugs. The last thing I saw her on last week, she paused mid-sentence to spit on the floor of the studio.

Don't get me wrong, I love it when people are individuals, she does have a very strong sense of style and she is extremely talented but she really needs to sort herself out, give up drinking and also eat something. She just looks ill. If you saw her a couple of years ago, now that was a gorgeous girl.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Fleur De Guerre said:
Are we talking about the same Amy Winehouse here? Classy??? I really like her music, but my lord is she a mess. She constantly looks like she needs a wash. With a jet spray. Her hair looks like a stinky, greasy bird's nest and she has prison tattoos, missing teeth and does interviews on TV off her face on alcohol/drugs. The last thing I saw her on last week, she paused mid-sentence to spit on the floor of the studio.

Don't get me wrong, I love it when people are individuals, she does have a very strong sense of style and she is extremely talented but she really needs to sort herself out, give up drinking and also eat something. She just looks ill. If you saw her a couple of years ago, now that was a gorgeous girl.

I agree. Great artist, but I'm worried about her.
And fyi, the photo on the right is the "before" shot. :(
winehouse270706_544x600.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Fleur De Guerre said:

Don't hold back, now, tell us what you really think. ;) Yeah, I know what you mean. I agree that thed tats are a little much. I don't know about the hygiene things.... but then I've not seen many photos recently. Didn't know about the spitting, that is vile. Yeah, it is a shame when she appears on TV out of it - it was a real car crash syndrome when she was on Never Mind the Buzzcocks.

The photos above are what I meant about the weight issue. Hopefully she'll get over trying to be all rock and roll soon!

Warden

One Too Many
Mrs W loves Amy Winehouse, plays her music so often I can't stand hearing it. Shame when that happens to a tune you like.

She certainly is the sort of girl your mother told you stay away from, but who ever listen to mother?

Harry

lindylady

A-List Customer
I just purchased her album off of ITunes. I've been hearing "Back to Black" on the new Mad Men show and everyone I know constantly raves about her. She might be a tad controversial, but at least she's something different from the mainstream drivel that we've had to suffer through for years now.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I succumbed to purchasing the whole album too and I'm glad I did. Great arrangements and she's got such a distinctive voice--a touch of Billie Holiday I always think. "You Know I'm No Good" is in heavy rotation on my ipod this week. I'll have to check out her videos--any vintage styling in them, I wonder?

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Katie Brookes said:
is it wrong that i love her even more because shes a carwreck?
don't get me wrong, i've got everything she has recorded, she is amazing

but you have to watch my favorite Youtube clip of her trying to sing Michael Jackson's "Beat It" on the Charlotte Church show to really understand the magic that is Amy Winehouse.

(http://youtube.com/watch?v=fJbutdZZmyQ)

Whoa! Quite the contrast between Charlotte posing as the "bad girl" and the real thing standing next to her. Trainwreck indeed. I hope she gets some help.

Dread Scott

Familiar Face
I *love* her music, but liked her look better before she responded to criticism about her weight by maniacally going to the gym every day.

However - I like music for the music... her voice is what truly gets me. I'm a sucker for an evocative voice.

princessofcandl

One of the Regulars
Sorry... I don't care for her music at all. I can handle naughty lyrics and contraversy (I don't think thats spelled right). But I have to draw the line somewhere (hahaha). I would rather rap curse words than sing about rehab. And she is a total mess right now. She reminds me of pics of crack whores (not to be harsh).

Although I do like Lily Allen. And I think they're rivals or something? Like Brittney and Christina??? I don't know.

Oh but my SIL loves her so I know she has her peeps.

Feraud

Bartender
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070817/ap_en_mu/people_winehouse

Ailing Winehouse cancels month of shows

When Amy Winehouse said, "no, no, no" to rehab, she meant it. Taking better care of herself is a different matter, though. The 23-year-old British soul singer has decided to cancel her scheduled August concerts for health reasons, a spokeswoman said Thursday.

"Amy Winehouse is putting all her touring commitments for this month on hold until further notice in order to address her health issues," Tracey Miller said in a statement. "Amy will now not be performing at this weekend's V Festival in Chelmsford and Staffordshire. Her family has requested that the media respect Amy's privacy at this time. There will be no further comment."

Winehouse was hospitalized last week for "severe exhaustion." She is scheduled to begin a North American tour in September.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Doesn't surprise me. She looks like she woke up in a gutter.

My son has me listening to Lily Allen. She's okay. But for modern female singers, gimme Madeline Peyroux and Diana Krall anyday.

Richard

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Amy Winehouse ordered to cancel US tour
Wednesday, August 22 2007, 13:55 BST
By Kimberley Dadds

Amy Winehouse has been ordered to cancel her scheduled US tour, which was due to begin next month, because medical professionals have advised her to.

The troubled singer had cancelled a number of performances, including the weekend's V Festival, following hospitalisation earlier this month when she allegedly took a drug overdose.

A statement has now been released that announced that she would be postponing her American tour as well.

Winehouse's publicist, Tracy Miller said: "Due to the rigours involved in touring, Amy Winehouse has been advised to postpone her upcoming September US and Canadian tour dates.

"Amy's European and UK tour dates in October and November remain in place. Plans are being made to reschedule her US tour for early 2008.

"Until then, Amy has been ordered to rest and is working with medical professionals to address her health."

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Amy Winehouse is probably the most exciting and talented force in pop music right now. I simply cannot get enough of her album. She has brought an edginess, relevancy, and an entire new life to the Motown sound. This is no easy feat. I am amazed at her range.

I could care less about her personal life and I separate that entirely from her music. Most celebrity stories and incidents are generated by PR firms to seduce a gullible public. I have a friend who works for a PR firm in LA. You would be amazed how almost nothing you know about a celebrity is true; their backgrounds, the little stories they tell on ET, the chance sightings, all of it is entirely manufactured.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Is it possible to separate an artist's personal life entirely from their art?

Doesnt th audience feedback encourage or guide an artist or at least the way the PR firms spin a personality?
Look at Christina Aquillera's 180 change from the negative response on her 'DIRTY' image.

Shearer

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
Amy Winehouse is probably the most exciting and talented force in pop music right now. I simply cannot get enough of her album. She has brought an edginess, relevancy, and an entire new life to the Motown sound. This is no easy feat. I am amazed at her range.

I could care less about her personal life and I separate that entirely from her music. Most celebrity stories and incidents are generated by PR firms to seduce a gullible public. I have a friend who works for a PR firm in LA. You would be amazed how almost nothing you know about a celebrity is true; their backgrounds, the little stories they tell on ET, the chance sightings, all of it is entirely manufactured.

This may be true in some cases, but I think it's become impossible in regards to Amy Winehouse. I'm a fan... I love her voice, I think she's a great talent. But the truth is, she canceled her tour for a good reason. At times, she's barely mumbled her way through a few songs before leaving the stage. She's sobbed over her husband's incarceration, been booed off the stage, and thrown fits at the audiences coming to see her.

As for stories being generated by the press, she and her husband have been photographed leaving a hotel bloody and bruised after a fight, she's overdosed on a cocktail of ketamine, cocaine, and heroin (admittedly), and recently fell asleep several times in the middle of a Blender interview!

Unless she pulls it together in a very big way, she's going to end up dead and she'll go down as a talent that 'could have been.'

Edward

Bartender
Alas, yes. Flashbacks to Johnny Thunders and the likes. It's such a shame, not least because unlike that other celebrity addict Pete Doherty, Winehouse's talent is very genuine, not simply another new outfit for the emperor.

Naama

Practically Family
I also like her music, not THAT much, but I like some of the songs from her CD (which I borrowed from my sister :p )

Anyway, I think it's a bit unfair to judge someone..... She hase some issues for sure, but I don't think that she is killing herself for fun.....

Naama

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot