Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Amy Winehouse

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
What can a person say...

I've heard some of her music and think it's just sad that there are thousands of talented young (and old for that matter) who will never be given the opportunity she has.....

Is that what it means to be successful???

It looks more like a typical arrestee on a rerun of COPS....

I would simply be...... ashamed...

eightbore

Suspended
Baron Kurtz said:
Not only can you, i believe you really must separate the artist from the art. Thusly one can enjoy art produced by anyone, providing it's good (subjective), without worrying about peripherals like someone's politics (i was pretty much hounded on that one - support the artistic abilities of a anti-semite/Fascist! how dare you!) -.

If Picasso had painted a calm and beautiful representation of the Spanish landscape in 1937 rather than "Guernica", would this have been any less of a political statement? Even sometimes in its apathy, ALL art is political. Of course, the same is true of those who view it.

Edward

Bartender
dr greg said:
Edward said:
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs every day.

And there's also a bad side."

Hunter S. Thompson

QUOTE]

THat's not quite right, he was talking about the TV business, and it's become a bit of a catch-all quote. The point is valid though.

Ah! Thanks... I read it in an article (Wired, i think?) aboutg p2p and the music business... I'll have to check out the accurate wordage. :)

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I like Back to Black as a CD on its own without any of the hype about her personal life thrown in. I would not see Amy Winehouse in concert based on what I've heard and the few television apperances I have seen which have been lackluster. My favorite song on the CD is Love Is a Losing Game. I don't really know if love is indeed a losing game but it's a great song.

I'd take Amy over the horrid, fog horn sounding Disney creations anyday. Teenager who have shows on the Disney Channel should be barred form singing for the good of all mankind.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
deadpandiva said:
I'd take Amy over the horrid, fog horn sounding Disney creations anyday. Teenager who have shows on the Disney Channel should be barred form singing for the good of all mankind.

Hey!!!!!! Not all of those "teenagers" are teenagers:p and I happen to like a few of them:p

Warden

One Too Many
Hey our Amy has a new look, she has lost her trademark back comb black hair

WinehouseWENN_450x500.jpg

According to the press she partied until the early hours before she checked into Notting Hill's K West Hotel and Spa – complete with a bunch of bananas.

Harry

Woland

One of the Regulars
Amy Winehouse is IMHO one of the few really good musical acts to surface in the last few years.
Her live-performances is lacking in quality, but her session work is absolutely amazing.
Great compositions, great lyrics & great production.

Am afraid she will do a Holiday/Hendrix/Joplin in not to long...
Cant really blame her for her self-abuse.
I truly dislike that the parasites are so intent on feeding on her failure when it comes to living a sensible life.
She seems to be going down, and that is very sad.

Hopefully she will leave us even more great music in the process.
The girl is living a myth she has adopted as her own.
The notorious drug/alcohol abuse amongst the musicians of the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s etc is a well known fact...

Anyone seen "Stardust" with David Essex?

Nice sequence where he is shooting Heroin, locked in the basement lavatory of his mansion, terrified that his servants is gonna find out.
Rags to riches can demolish a personality in no time...

My two cents.

Woland

One of the Regulars
Bassman said:
That's not A.W. on the right, is it?
If so..."Wha' happen?"
-Guy

It is indeed Amy Winehouse.
What happened was snide remarks about her weight and a history of minor eating disorders.

Edward

Bartender
Woland said:
It is indeed Amy Winehouse.
What happened was snide remarks about her weight and a history of minor eating disorders.

If she has indeed been dablbing with hard drugs and / or drinking excessively (though I share Baron Kurtz' cynicism as to the extent of her substance abuse being less than the media would have us believe), this won't have helped, but the impression I've formed is that it has much more to do with what you say. It's amazing how the celebrity world thinks - most of the women celebrated as "fuller figured" in the media in reality are anything but. The current cause celebre in the catwoalk world, whose name escapes me at this moment in time, is being feted as "bringing back curves", and much made of her figure. She is a UK size eight. The average size in the UK is a UK16....

Amy Winehouse was a healthy UK size 14 in the picture on the right, above. She is now, if memory serves, a six.

Marty M.

Vendor
Uh oh.

Fletch said:
More to the point, on the "10" scale, she was an easy 8 and now she's about a 4 1/2.

PPIPWN* that fashion and beauty are not the same thing.

*Proof Positive, If Proof Were Needed[/
QUOTE]

Drag, does that mean that I have to go back to being just" homely ole Marty"? Instead of "the guy with the nice clothes" [huh] ?
Marty Mathis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters