Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Amy Winehouse

Smuterella

One Too Many
I haven't read the thread but i love Amy, shes gorgeous, sexy and very talented. Yes, she is having drugs problems, I've had drugs problems (not as bad, no way, but a little drug induced madness has occurred in my past).

Lets just hope she gets over it.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Smuterella said:
I haven't read the thread but i love Amy, shes gorgeous, sexy and very talented. Yes, she is having drugs problems, I've had drugs problems (not as bad, no way, but a little drug induced madness has occurred in my past).

Lets just hope she gets over it.

I've done a few too. I'm pretty limited to Scotch now.

Hey, I'd like it if someone would tell me what are the most vintage-inspired songs Winehouse has done so I know what to look for. What are the influences on the albums? I hear some Motown and I like it. A lot.

Smuterella

One Too Many
It is mainly Motown, I'd start with the Isley Brothers, the Four Tops, the Supremes. Perhaps get a Motown best of album and see what you like best. Its wonderful music.

flat-top

Doran said:
Hey, I'd like it if someone would tell me what are the most vintage-inspired songs Winehouse has done so I know what to look for. What are the influences on the albums? I hear some Motown and I like it. A lot.
Amy does two amazing covers, "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow", and "To Know Him is to Love Him", which are not on her CD's, but possibly bonus tracks on CD singles. I would imagine they would also be on iTunes. You can really hear how great her voice is on these tracks.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
La Trainwreck Anglaise has a really hot voice. Damn shame how she's screwed herself up tho.
I'd hope the first step after she gets thru with her dry-out would be to ditch the Cleopatra eye-wings and the bird-nest hair.
Without those, she cleans up nicely in a seamy bohemian kind of way.
AmyWinehouse01.jpg

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Seeing her previous photos I am really sorry for the demise of such a gorgeous looking and talented woman.
Now she is a wreck - half way between her glory and her tombstone.
I sincerely hope she gets away from the grip of alcoholism and drugs.
And I would not walk in her parents' shoes.

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
I have to say that I'm I'm not a big Amy Winehouse fan.... I don't really like her voice... Well, it's just my opinion you know...
[huh]

Dr Doran

HungaryTom said:
Seeing her previous photos I am really sorry for the demise of such a gorgeous looking and talented woman.
Now she is a wreck - half way between her glory and her tombstone.
I sincerely hope she gets away from the grip of alcoholism and drugs.
And I would not walk in her parents' shoes.

Good point, Hung. Whenever I see a scantily clad female who looks sexually desirable now, but in a trashy and overly seductive way, I think to myself that her parents probably feel uncomfortable. I only started to think this way when I got a daughter.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
E True Hollywood...

Doran,

I watched the E True Hollywood story on her recently because I was rather bored At any rate, it almost seems like her family didn't give her what she needed as a child...hence her being as screwed up as all the rest of the other entertainers today.

FG.
Doran said:
Good point, Hung. Whenever I see a scantily clad female who looks sexually desirable now, but in a trashy and overly seductive way, I think to myself that her parents probably feel uncomfortable. I only started to think this way when I got a daughter.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Doran,

I thought the same way as you...as a loving and caring father.
I imagined how I would feel if my son whom I adore and cherish would become a handsome and talented man and then destroy himself with dope (Seemingly it is not only alcohol) within a few years....

Fedoragent,

I did not know how the Winehouse family and her upbringing really was. Wikipedia tells the parents were musicians. Anyhow it is never a good feeling to see your charming daughter falling apart.

Alcoholism to increase awareness? I think only the addicts themselves think to have their addiction(s) under control - hopefully Amy really could be persuaded finally that she can not. If she dies at the end of the day - she can not do much with the awareness.

Regards

Tom

Feraud

Bartender
Amy Winehouse Set to Launch Clothing Line

Amy Winehouse is reportedly set to launch her own line of clothing and cosmetics so fans can emulate her signature look.

“Amy’s distinctive style has been copied by girls around the country and there’s a lot of money to be made,” says a source. “She wants to bring out a range of cosmetics and fashion products. There could be hairspray, head scarves, eyeliner and perfume. All the things that make her who she is.”

The singer's signature style includes her beehive hairdo and heavy winged eyeliner.

Meanwhile, the 24-year-old has allegedly left rehab after seeking treatment for her drug addictions.
http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory.aspx?id=38217&cat=2

celtic

A-List Customer
i enjoy her music.

and like a lot of other artists who make in what MY opinion are bad choices (billie holiday, keith, joplin, hendrix, morrison....endless list) i try to enjoy the art they've decided to share and not dwell on what I wish them to be.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Amy's has a compelling voice, but what I've heard of her music seems to lack any of the original emotion that the motown and soul greats had. One thing I do respect about her is that she is mostly singing original material as opposed to other popular soul artists such as the Detroit Cobras, who are mostly singing covers.

Miss Brill said:
Does rehab ever work? If someone really wants to get clean, can't they do it on their own?

Some people need the support services offered by rehab, but the real key is that someone has to want to come clean first. Rehab never works - if you're not there of your own volition. Some people CAN do it on their own and others don't have the strength to do so. I have an ex who was a heroin junkie when he was 14. At that same age, he locked himself in his room to detox and it was a long and painful process for him. But he has an iron resolve and strength of character that many others don't possess.

Foofoogal said:
Side note: I have spoke to many crack addicts and meth addicts who have cried they want to get off of the stuff but it is so addictive. It is said one time with meth and you can be hooked.

This is true - but it depends on the person. I have seen people whose lives have been destroyed by meth and its addictive grip, and tried to help one of the best friends of my teen years get his act together. He's a wreck. As for myself, I did a lot of drugs, including meth, and I got lucky. It depends on the person and their own psychological makeup, but I think I was the exception rather than the rule, at least from what I've seen.

Smuterella

One Too Many
phwoar

I too have done a lot of drugs, and to be honest I still dabble every now and then. It is possible to use drugs recreationally. certain drugs anyway, for certain people.

Not that I advocate drug use, certainly not.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Smuterella said:
I too have done a lot of drugs, and to be honest I still dabble every now and then. It is possible to use drugs recreationally. certain drugs anyway, for certain people.

Absolutely. The point being that it's possible for some people to use drugs without destroying their lives (not Amy Winehouse, obviously). It just depends on the individual, their psychological make-up, and their outlook and attitude. For some people, there's no option, but for some of us, there is. Thank the lord, because there's a lot of fun to be had in recreational drug use. lol

Not that I advocate drug use, certainly not.

I don't either. Yes, it's breaking the law, but I do advocate an individual's right to make that decision for him/herself, as long as he or she understands the risks and consequences and is willing to take responsibility for them.

ShortClara

One Too Many
I'm really getting into Back to Black now, and wow. What a voice, what phrasing, what emotion, what writing! I'm in love. I hope she gets it together, I really really do. I don't even care that she looks crazy with the insane beehive or anything, I don't need her to conform for me - I just need her to record more!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner