Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Amy Winehouse

Smuterella

One Too Many
ShortClara said:
I'm really getting into Back to Black now, and wow. What a voice, what phrasing, what emotion, what writing! I'm in love. I hope she gets it together, I really really do. I don't even care that she looks crazy with the insane beehive or anything, I don't need her to conform for me - I just need her to record more!

I think she is immensely talented in an almost savant way (having seen her interviewed she doesn't come across as very clever)

but she can certainly put feeling into a lyric in a way that I haven't heard in a long time

of course the production is 100% Mark Ronson, that boy great at recreating that Motown big band sound

Naama

Practically Family
Smuterella said:
I think she is immensely talented in an almost savant way (having seen her interviewed she doesn't come across as very clever)

I guess it's hard to come across as very clever when you're under the influence of some drugs all the time.... Don't you think?

But great music, for sure! When I first was listen to back to black, I only liked one or two songs, but now I love it and also bought her first record! Hope she will be back on track soon, because I think if she is going on like that for any longer, that won't end good... :(

Naama

Smuterella

One Too Many
Naama said:
I guess it's hard to come across as very clever when you're under the influence of some drugs all the time.... Don't you think?

I didn't mean to sound like a snob, she is a working class girl from a similar but much happier background than mine (or so it seems) and I don't want to put her down. I just don't think she is very academic and also perhaps not very conscious of the repercussions of her actions. Obviously its hard to have any idea of the real world when you are surrounded by drugs and sycophants.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Not terribly academic, no. But they way she expresses ideas is intelligent, to me. She couches her ideas in vulgarities, sometimes, but it makes it almost more poignant and raw. And I confess, I find myself thinking "What kind of fu**ery is this?" all the time now. :D

Smuterella

One Too Many
ShortClara said:
Not terribly academic, no. But they way she expresses ideas is intelligent, to me. She couches her ideas in vulgarities, sometimes, but it makes it almost more poignant and raw. And I confess, I find myself thinking "What kind of fu**ery is this?" all the time now. :D

oh yeah, I think she is a bit like eminem in a way - he is brilliant lyrically (no nice - but clever) but awful interviewed, just awful

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
i can't deny that 'Back to black' is a good album, but i don't know how her and Mark Ronson got away wit ripping off so so so many motown classics!!! without barely changing them apart from the lyrics!!!:rage:

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
artful dodgette said:
i can't deny that 'Back to black' is a good album, but i don't know how her and Mark Ronson got away wit ripping off so so so many motown classics!!! without barely changing them apart from the lyrics!!!:rage:

Ripoff or homage?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
KittyT said:
Also, here's another old photo:
amywinehouse_v2004_2.jpg
Hmmmmm...no, not conventionally beautiful...but damn, there is something hot about those exotic, Semitic features, large intense eyes and full sensuous mouth. Sadly all that's now overshadoed by her ratty dreads and wasted, hollow look.

Feraud

Bartender
What's up with Amy? The poor girl cannot keep out of trouble...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080425/ap_en_mu/people_winehouse
And she supposedly head butt some dude!
A man was quoted in tabloid newspapers as saying he was hit by Winehouse when he got in her way while she was playing pool at a bar in the Camden neighborhood and then head-butted another who was trying to hail her a cab in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I love her music, even though she's a trainwreck. I really wish she would get her act cleaned up and just keep recording - she has a fantastic sound! Very motown, so soulful.

Feraud said:
And she supposedly head butt some dude!

I know this is terrible, but I actually laughed out loud when I read this. Something about the idea of a tiny girl with a massive beehive headbutting someone makes me laugh. lol

Feraud

Bartender
fortworthgal said:
I know this is terrible, but I actually laughed out loud when I read this. Something about the idea of a tiny girl with a massive beehive headbutting someone makes me laugh. lol
That is why I posted it! :D
It is probably totally untrue but funny as heck to imagine. lol

Ada Veen

Practically Family
look at the photos of her in the above article! oh my gosh, she looks terrible. My boyfriend used to see her round camden all the time, apparently she looks even scrawnier in real life :(

altamari22

New in Town
Amy Winehouse sounds just like her name Winy
If you want to listen to good music there is nothing like the classics.
Try some Frank, Dean or the Andrews Sisters. and you can never go wrong with Glen Miller.
I just feel like she is making money off being a drug addict.

Smuterella

One Too Many
oh come on, addiction and talent seem to go hand in hand a lot of the time. As Julie burchill said in the paper today - Amy is like the reverse Madonna - lots of talent little work, Madonna - no talent - huge back catalogue.

Amy was brilliant singing for Nelson Mandela tonight.

but then I am a little in love with her

oh and that Daily Mail article

"a marijuana "spliff""

*chortle*

byronic

One of the Regulars
i hope she gets her act together in time to record the new bond theme, she has a kind of underlying menace in her voice, and that 60's-ish sound that makes her ideally suited for it.

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
I love Amy she is more talented that a lot of people give her credit for. Americans usually don't get to see her in all her awesomeness (yes I said awesomeness!) because they only seem to play "Rehab" here, which is not one of her strongest songs, not by a long shot. If you haven't heard her her album Frank yet, its a must. Instant classic. Very rarely can i find a modern day artist who's album has strong songs from beginning to end.

But yea, I'm totally not a fan *cough*

ShortClara

One Too Many
TheDutchess said:
I love Amy she is more talented that a lot of people give her credit for. Americans usually don't get to see her in all her awesomeness (yes I said awesomeness!) because they only seem to play "Rehab" here, which is not one of her strongest songs, not by a long shot. If you haven't heard her her album Frank yet, its a must. Instant classic. Very rarely can i find a modern day artist who's album has strong songs from beginning to end.

But yea, I'm totally not a fan *cough*

I need to visit me some Frank....

InspectorMorse

One of the Regulars
I dearly love the classics (popular American Standards) and I have a vast collection of standards & jazz as well, but I keep my ear open to new talent as well- there is a great deal of talent coming out of the UK still, and Amy is but one example! I was once disheartened by what the US music industry was delivering, but then I started looking at UK music & indies as well. (Plus The Brits still use the term "records" for songs played!) Good music is good no matter the decade- and also have you noticed how many aging rockers have recorded standards now?

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I have been concerned about her drug addiction and now that I read she has lung problems due to smoking cigarettes and crack, I worry that she will have a short life.

Hope she can beat the addiction and live long enough to enjoy her life and realize how talented she is.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner