Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Amy Winehouse

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Does rehab ever work? If someone really wants to get clean, can't they do it on their own? One of my cousins was a cocaine addict during the late 1970s-late 1980s, and then he fell in love & has been totally drug free ever since. He is now a born-again Christian & won't even drink beer. My aunt was a heavy drinker for about 15 years & gave it up cold turkey about 30 years ago & hasn't touched another drop. It seems like rehab is just a way for people to get attention, not help. [huh]

pretty faythe

One Too Many
All depends on the person and their types. Some people can do it themselves and others need the support and help of others. Thats just the make up of their pyche. Thats what places like AA and NA are for.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Smithy said:
I can't see old Amy Wino going that way :D

Oh, it was a surprise that my cousin straightened himself up. It seems like some people just grow out of it, or it gets old...

Amy looks like she has had a rough life, and no one in my family ever looked like her, like a hobo, or a wino, for lack of a better word.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
takes some growing up...group of kids during and after high school did nothing but work construction, smoke weed and drink. just found out the one probably most likely to do that the rest of his life is in a JC working to get into a university and doesnt hang out with any of the old group b/c they havent changed at all. i think its all up to the person. kind of like in Diary of a Mad Black Woman where Tyler Perrys wife had to eventually go to the rehab center herself and not be taken by someone else...[huh]

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
somebody said:
It seems like rehab is just a way for people to get attention, not help. [huh]

I'm afraid this is wrong. Apart from the fact that for some addicts, attention alone can have an immense impact and help them get rid of their addiction, I suppose.

Also, it ignores the non-psychological part altogether, which is different for each person and kind of addiction. I suppose heroine or cocaine addictions or even cigarettes typically have a much higher physical part involved than gambling.

At least for the physical part, a rehab therapy isn't so different from other therapies. Not that I haven't seen stupid or uneducated people say juvenile diabetics should pull themselves together, then they wouldn't need the insulin shots. And all those attention-seeking veterans should simply let their amputated leg grow again, instead of whining in wheel-chairs. [huh]

Foofoogal

Banned
If you use the same drug as your hero you will become like your hero.

What an intelligent post the way you put this. As entertaining as it all can be sometimes do we really want this to be the mantra for our future. People idolizing Amy or Paris or Britney is truly scary stuff IMHO. I know every generation mostly sooner gets it together when they start having kids and such but is this particular generation of Britney peers going to? It is like they are all so bored and have seen it all, done it all that they have gone way overboard and numb themselves at all times. A recent movie is making people sick for example as it is in motion constantly.
When your life starts determining my life is when I get concerned. Sooner or later these kids will be the judges, doctors, lawyers, and maybe president. :eusa_doh: and will be making decisions about me and you.
Not to say all of this generation is like this I am sure but with less and less grounded role models hey!

Side note: I have spoke to many crack addicts and meth addicts who have cried they want to get off of the stuff but it is so addictive. It is said one time with meth and you can be hooked. It affects your pleasure zones and after you come down life looks all gray. Who wants the color out of their world? So incredibly sad!!

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Finally listened to her yesterday because, solely, of this thread. Loved "back in black," the rehab song did nothing for me, liked "i'm no good" a lot. Agreed with the men that she looked MUCH better fuller-figured than now as a drowned rat. Must correct that those are not prison tattoos, which look much worse.

Kurz, I cannot find the Destouches/Celine thread. As I love much of his work, I'd love to find it.

The point Eardley is making is good -- that regardless of the person's private life (for which Hemingway makes a reasonable case that it is unimportant) bad professionalism is unprofessional and not worth the concert ticket; but we can still listen to her studio music and like her skill.

I cannot stand the idea of liking someone's music (or film directing or acting or novelwriting or teaching) a lot, then finding out that their politics don't match mine, and then deciding I don't like their art because of it. But I think everyone would agree to this, more or less.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Doran said:
I cannot stand the idea of liking someone's music (or film directing or acting or novelwriting or teaching) a lot, then finding out that their politics don't match mine, and then deciding I don't like their art because of it. But I think everyone would agree to this, more or less.

Yes, but interestingly, it has happened more than once that I either can't endure an artist or actor or acknowledge the art while disliking the person, only to read later on that (s)he has political or other views that are very different from mine. Nearly scaring.

Feraud

Bartender
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Yes, but interestingly, it has happened more than once that I either can't endure an artist or actor or acknowledge the art while disliking the person, only to read later on that (s)he has political or other views that are very different from mine. Nearly scaring.

It is an interesting idea to note. I think we do not want to judge a person from their art but how can we not? We all draw a line somewhere whether it be drug use, spouse abuse, possession of weapons, etc.
I might not take offense to a musician doing drugs because it is "his business" but someone else might take offense to the behavior. It happens.
This discussion reminds me of the films Powder and Jeepers Creepers directed by Victor Salva. The guy is a convicted child molester who served time. Should we see his films?
Roman Polanski is a fugitive from the U.S. but we generally praise his films..

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
It is an interesting idea to note. I think we do not want to judge a person from their art but how can we not? We all draw a line somewhere whether it be drug use, spouse abuse, possession of weapons, etc.
I might not take offense to a musician doing drugs because it is "his business" but someone else might take offense to the behavior. It happens.
This discussion reminds me of the films Powder and Jeepers Creepers directed by Victor Salva. The guy is a convicted child molester who served time. Should we see his films?
Roman Polanski is a fugitive from the U.S. but we generally praise his films..

I love Polanski. Knife in Water was great. As I'm Polish by marriage, I'm a big Polophile. A fictionalized version of the Sharon Tate murder by Manson (Polanski's wife) is told in Polanski's buddy Jerzy Kosinski's novel about the skier. I didn't know that the Jeepers Creepers guy was a child molester. I didn't like that film anyway.

I like it when someone has different politics, etc. than me and can make a perfect perfect expression of those in art. Like Ayn Rand's Fountainhead. I'm not a libertarian at all but I like it when someone can explain that. As for child molestation, I don't suppose I'd rather see a perfect expression of that. Then again, I am reading Plato's Republic now, and in Book 5 or 6 (I cannot remember) paedophilia is explained quite well -- but that was classical Athens and autres temps, autres moeurs I suppose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn