Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An alternate Aeromarine??

majormajor

One Too Many
Possibly it was just too young? In the '60s, the design would have been only 30 years old and presumably hadn't acquired vintage appeal. Where are we now, 2013. Would I contemplate wearing anything from 1983? I rest my case...
I'm sure you are right, Dr H. It just seems odd. Back then, LS were pushing the "Staprest" stuff, which was a bit of a 50's throwback, and leather & split cowhide were in the catalogues (I used to collect 'em). But no Menlo .....

Edward

Bartender
Possibly it was just too young? In the '60s, the design would have been only 30 years old and presumably hadn't acquired vintage appeal. Where are we now, 2013. Would I contemplate wearing anything from 1983? I rest my case...

I try not to contemplate anything from 1983.

The horror, the horror....

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Funnily enough, the high street fashion chain AllSaints seem to think that the nasty knits and shirts from the dead end of that decade are ripe for a return. I hope not, lest the youth of today could end up looking like extras from that most 80s of soaps, Brookside. :eeek:

majormajor

One Too Many
From what I can gather, the Menlo brand, which was named after Menlo Park, an area of San Francisco, was mainly active in the 1930's, and even then, were recreating "classic" styles in leather. Kudos to them - brilliant stuff!

However, they did produce a number of different styles - not just the Cossack. So not really suitable as a generic name.

As Edward said, Cossack also nowadays refers to another Aero style........

So, again - Heron it is - and my thanks to David Himel:D;)

klineakin

New in Town
majormajor...I am about to order an Aeromarine but can't decide on the leather. What type and color leather is your jacket in? Looks like Front Quarter Horse but, I have been told that Aero only makes this jacket in a lighter 2 ounce horse. Thanks

majormajor

One Too Many
I am about to order an Aeromarine but can't decide on the leather. What type and color leather is your jacket in? Looks like Front Quarter Horse but, I have been told that Aero only makes this jacket in a lighter 2 ounce horse.

It is FQHH, but not the really heavy stuff. The style just wouldn't hang right. It does feel a bit thicker, though, than the stuff they use for A2s. Described as Jerky Brown, I believe:D;)

Last edited:

pipvh

Practically Family
Funnily enough, the high street fashion chain AllSaints seem to think that the nasty knits and shirts from the dead end of that decade are ripe for a return. I hope not, lest the youth of today could end up looking like extras from that most 80s of soaps, Brookside. :eeek:

I'll never forgive All Saints for what they did to Portobello Road. Beside their monstrosity on the corner of Westbourne Grove which destroyed a whole world of antique stalls, kitting yoofs out like Brookie extras seems positively benign.

And now, back to your scheduled programme...:)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'll never forgive All Saints for what they did to Portobello Road. Beside their monstrosity on the corner of Westbourne Grove which destroyed a whole world of antique stalls, kitting yoofs out like Brookie extras seems positively benign.

True. Very true. :D

Edward

Bartender

You and me both. The repulsive A&F trying to set up on Savile Row is even worse...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo