Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An alternate Aeromarine??

majormajor

One Too Many
Is Heron a brand name that predates the current Heron-branded repros?

Hi Edward

It is my understanding that David Himel came up with the name, when he was putting together his design, based on early pre-A1 leather jackets. He saw a Heron (the bird) whilst in Canada, and decided to use that name.

If this style of jacket ever had a generic name back in WW1 days, I don't know - although I would doubt it.

Ken Calder has an original early 20's jacket, on which he based the Aeromarine, but I don't believe it has a name label (I should've looked more closely when Ken showed it to me!).

As David was the first person (AFAIK) to revitalise this style, I'm happy to use the name he came up with as a generic for that style:D;)

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
It would be interesting to know who did one back in the day. I thought I had read that Menlo was a trademark from that time, though I don't recall whether it was a model name or a brand. The thing about brands currently in use, whether new or revivals of old marks (such as "Aero Leathers" or "Highwayman") is that if they become generic terms, they will at some point become almost impossible to enforce as trade marks. That issue aside, Heron or Menlo does seem to be the originator of this style on the repro market.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Menlo was a sub brand of LS Co Edward ..... it would appear that it only had a short lifetinme @ 10 years or so. I've seen a number of different Menlo branded LS Co jackets, not all Cossack's ... but so few have labels still intact ISTR that Hellers Cafe have a couple and there are a few in the hands of a couple of collectors in Singapore and Germany which I have seen ( albeit 10 years or so ago).

In all the labels I have seen the Levis Strauss "shield" is in the top corner and the bottom script reads Levis Straus Co. with Menlo in script bottom left to top right. The colours vary Black label / green text, Dark Green Label / Gold Text, Black Label / Gold Text (they might have been a little less label aware than we are today) :).

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Menlo was a sub brand of LS Co Edward ..... it would appear that it only had a short lifetinme @ 10 years or so. I've seen a number of different Menlo branded LS Co jackets, not all Cossack's ... but so few have labels still intact ISTR that Hellers Cafe have a couple and there are a few in the hands of a couple of collectors in Singapore and Germany which I have seen ( albeit 10 years or so ago).

In all the labels I have seen the Levis Strauss "shield" is in the top corner and the bottom script reads Levis Straus Co. with Menlo in script bottom left to top right. The colours vary Black label / green text, Dark Green Label / Gold Text, Black Label / Gold Text (they might have been a little less label aware than we are today) :).

The image of the 1920s sports jacket (a Cossack) has an identical label to mine.
levi.jpg

Last edited:

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars

Alan Eardley might have an idea of when the first zip fasteners were used on leather jackets.
He has a copy of the book people must of been queuing around the block to get in 1963 !

Quote:

"I read lots of exciting books about the history of zippers - in fact there is rarely one absent from my bedside table.

In my opinion, by far the best (although perhaps a little biased) is:
Brown, S. Rd. (1963) Talon Inc.; A Romance of Achievement. Rand McNally, Chicago, Ill.

This riveting tome describes the history of the Hookless Fastner Co (which became the Talon company) from the Hookless #1 (of 1912, which failed in practice) to the first success in 1913 (Hookless #2). The book ends with the epic Talon 42 Little Zipper of the early 1960s. A classic.

Even the little-known link with Lightning Fasteners of Birmingham, England is discussed "

Edward

Bartender
Strange to think how big a game changer something we take as much for granted as a zip was. It definitely changed a lot when it came to leather jacket design: the Perfecto style, for one, would not be the same absent the zips!

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Back in the 60's (when I was well into anything Levi), no-one ever mentioned Menlo. How odd.
Possibly it was just too young? In the '60s, the design would have been only 30 years old and presumably hadn't acquired vintage appeal. Where are we now, 2013. Would I contemplate wearing anything from 1983? I rest my case...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo