Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An alternate Aeromarine??

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I suspect I may have had my head turned by all the lovely new designs that were hanging there on the day - always looking for the younger, prettier model, know what I mean? ;). On another day, you never know...

simonc

Practically Family
OK, here's both the curved pocket versions - one more horizontal than the other. Take your pick:D;)

curveddouble.jpg

One on the right, making the pockets slightly larger, so you can get you fist into them and that would be it for me, nice work MM

DiamondDave

Vendor
Took the liberty of making up something similar to the Photoshopped version... NOT A SALES PITCH!! Though I am a vendor, I am also a jacket lover so please do not get confused. DD

This is my version, supposedly by Security Aviation Togs... that I am calling the "Hyklas" jacket.

945840_366727330093852_1342149220_n.jpg

400709_366727366760515_62348304_n.jpg

941351_366727393427179_1192624473_n.jpg

946320_366727433427175_596022447_n.jpg

947360_366727516760500_1275844419_n.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Aha! I thought the grain looked like some steer I have, but wasn't sure. It's a little yellow for my tastes, but I like the design of the jacket a lot.

majormajor

One Too Many
Looking good, although, as the originals predate the introduction of zippers, I would tend to omit that zipped pocket;)

Plumbline

One Too Many
Looking good, although, as the originals predate the introduction of zippers, I would tend to omit that zipped pocket;)

That style of pocket zipper was a common feature on Simmons Bilt, Schott and Montgomery Ward jackets of the late 20's and early 30's ... in fact many civilian jackets and M/C jackets of this eary had only one zipper of this style on the pocket ... some had the old "art deco" Talon hookless zipper ( with the rivetted base) as the main zipper or the more useable Crown zipper ... but by and large zips were a new and modern invention and to have one on the pocket was a sign of quality, one as the main closeure was a sign of opulence :).

I think the ball chain puller is entirely authentic and in keeping with some of the styles of the time ( late 20's early 30's) ... and it looks really cool ( I love it). D-rings on the cuffs and adjusters would add to the look and authenticity .... but a sweet looking jacket ( despite the buttons :( ) . Typically though the shawl collar / cutaway collar had been relplaced by the W collar design into the 30's... although JC Penney had a VERY similar jacket minus the pocket completely in their catalogue right up to the 1940's .

majormajor

One Too Many
That style of pocket zipper was a common feature on Simmons Bilt, Schott and Montgomery Ward jackets of the late 20's and early 30's ... in fact many civilian jackets and M/C jackets of this eary had only one zipper of this style on the pocket ... some had the old "art deco" Talon hookless zipper ( with the rivetted base) as the main zipper or the more useable Crown zipper ... but by and large zips were a new and modern invention and to have one on the pocket was a sign of quality, one as the main closeure was a sign of opulence :).

Yeah, yeah, yeah, PL

In fact, the zipper was still being refered to, in 1933, as "the newest tailoring idea". There were a few exceptions, but in the main, the early stuff that got zips were boots, tobacco pouches and children's shoes. Talon, as a brand name, did not exist until 1928. The "art deco" Talon was introduced in 1939.

Naturally, later versions of most jackets gained zips - @breton posted a pic a while ago of a Heron type jacket with one. But (as I have said elsewhere), for the same reason as I would not want a zipped A1 (for they seem to exist), I would not want a Heron type (which for me is a World War One/early 20's style) with a zipper.:D

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
Yeah, yeah, yeah, PL

In fact, the zipper was still being refered to, in 1933, as "the newest tailoring idea". There were a few exceptions, but in the main, the early stuff that got zips were boots, tobacco pouches and children's shoes. Talon, as a brand name, did not exist until 1928. The "art deco" Talon was introduced in 1939.

Naturally, later versions of most jackets gained zips - @breton posted a pic a while ago of a Heron type jacket with one. But (as I have said elsewhere), for the same reason as I would not want a zipped A1 (for they seem to exist), I would not want a Heron type (which for me is a World War One/early 20's style) with a zipper.:D

The Art Deco "Talon"zipper was available for jackets shoes and bags in the late 20's ..... There's even a brochure from the hookless fastener co (aka Talon) on EBay right now from 1929 depicting said zipper. The hookless fastener co (aka Talon) was formed in 1893 .... I get that you wouldn't want one on your jacket ... But they did exist on jackets.

majormajor

One Too Many
The Art Deco "Talon"zipper was available for jackets shoes and bags in the late 20's ..... There's even a brochure from the hookless fastener co (aka Talon) on EBay right now from 1929 depicting said zipper. The hookless fastener co (aka Talon) was formed in 1893 .... I get that you wouldn't want one on your jacket ... But they did exist on jackets.

From Gary Eastman's reference book:

"Starting with a No 7 pin-lock in 1931, Talon changed their models almost year on year, graduating to auto-locks in 1938. Different puller and slider box designs and combinations of each were used, the most famous and attractive of which has to be the deco-style "Sunray" box, which first appeared on their M-38 model in the 1939 Aero Leather contract."

Also from Gary:

"It should be remembered that the zip was a relatively new device for closing garments in 1931, the first year of A2 production. Although the device had been around since the end of the 19th Century, it wasn't until the First World War that it even began to be recognized as a viable alternative to the more traditional tried and trusted methods such as buttons, laces and hooks. Indeed, it could be said that it was the A2 that was responsible for the coming of age of the zip; even the A1 jacket, which was its immediate predecessor, was fastened with buttons. Clearly, a bold decision was taken during the development of the A2 to move to this new fastening device."

Of course, Gary E could be talking complete b*ll*x, and obviously, we should always believe implicitly what it says on Ebay.

Either way, (I don't know how many times I have to say this), jackets in 1918 to the early 20's did NOT have zips:D;)

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
Either way, (I don't know how many times I have to say this), jackets in 1918 to the early 20's did NOT have zips:D;)

What's your estimate of the earliest zipper on a leather jacket in the 1920s? Mr Himel says recently:

"I own and have pictures of multitudes of jackets manufactured pre 1930 using hookless zippers (later Talon). These early zips date these jackets to the 1920s and I have recorded at least one hundred jacket brands making motorcycle jackets and other leathers during this period." Ref - http://www.schottnyc.com/forum/posts/schott_history.htm

This source says late-20s: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...onepage&q=1920s leather jacket zipper&f=false

So another major (excuse the non-pun) leather jacket collector says zippers definitely on leather jackets in 1920s. And you're happy with this fact, too, from what you've stated. All we have to do now is work out how early or late in the 1920s they emerge. Simple matter of fact. 1920s zippers, yes. Late-ish 20s, check.

Any takers?

The original and pretty nifty Zippers thread:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?5809-Zippers&

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred