Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An ebay success story...

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Here's my latest acquisition. I've had it for a month or so, but just now got around to getting photos of it.

crw_3032-lg.jpg

This is a vintage Champ "Kasmir Finish". I don't know the model name, and the box that came with it is not the original. The stamp on the sweatband identifies is as having been sold by "G.M. Knight Men's Store, 7911 S. Ashland, Chicago, Ill." Of course, ther'es also the Champ logo and slogan "Feel the Felt".

crw_3034.jpg

I assume it is from the 1950's, as it has plastic on the liner crown. Upon examination, I found that the liner is taped in place using what appears to be linen tape similar to what I would use to mount a photograph or fine art print, presumably this identifies the hat as a lower-cost product. However, the materials are very nice and the sweatband is beautifully supple. The brim is 2 1/2", with an underwelt, and the crown, as it is bashed now, is 4 1/2". This came to me unbashed, and I have put a very amatuerish teardrop in the crown and a pinch in front. When warm weather comes, I'll send it off for a proper blocking. There are only two very small moth nibbles, both are on the underside of the brim.

crw_3034-detail.jpg

This closeup view shows the detail of the ribbon and bow (which are very nice) and the trolley cord. That's a nice little touch to have on a hat that was probably fairly inexpensive in its day (and was very inexpensive when I bought it). Overall, it looks like it was hardly worn.

Thanks for letting me show off my new favorite hat!

riccardo

Practically Family
Hi Photo,
it's a great hat, great shape and great color...but...it isn't made for you!!
Send it me, free, so you could have another italian friend!!!:cheers1:
With compliment!!!!!!!!!!!
Riccardo

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Nice brim, and speaking of taped liners...

I've had my eye out for a Champ for some time, especially a Lightweight, but no luck in my size so far. I just got done cleaning a Knox Premier that also had the linen tape holding the liner. Several of the pieces had come loose. The tape was a bit of a surprise to me since every other Knox I've seen (the 5 I own plus pix of others on the Lounge) has a stitched liner. I assumed the Premier came in a basic model, as well as with some upgrades.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Sweet hat, Alan - the color is perfect for you! I have a dark brown Champ Kasmir Finish with a shorter brim than yours and it's one of my favorites. Despite being one of my least expensive hats, it has held up remarkably well under quite a bit of wear. Congratulations on hitting the jackpot...nice to hear an eBay success story every now and again! :)

- John

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
photobyalan said:
I have put a very amatuerish teardrop in the crown and a pinch in front. When warm weather comes, I'll send it off for a proper blocking.

If you look carefully at old pictures of men in hats
you will see that a lot of those hats have "amateurish"
shaping for the same reason yours does- good felt was
often sold open crown and the owner or the hat shop
put in a shape.

I think your hat looks classic just the way you shaped it.
If it keeps that shape (and with a bit of steam it should),
don't send it off for blocking! Most likely you'll end up
with a comparatively modern-looking and all-too-perfect shape.
Yeah, I know Art and Optimo have some cool old blocks, but
you've already used the classic block- your fingers on good felt.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Alan, even Champ normally sewed the liner in so I would suspect that the hat had been clean & blocked at some point in its life by a somewhat lazy hatter.:)

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Art Fawcett said:
Alan, even Champ normally sewed the liner in so I would suspect that the hat had been clean & blocked at some point in its life by a somewhat lazy hatter.:)

Art, it's funny you should say that. I thought maybe it was just me, but it seems like the hat was blocked "crooked" at some point. By that, I mean when the brim is snapped down in front, it wants to line up about 10 degrees to the left if the center line of the hat, judging by the position of the sweatband. The pinch just doesn't seem to want to line up with the center of the hat. I've coaxed it in there with steam and my fingers, but it fought me all the way. The seam of the sweatband lines up correctly with the seam of the liner, but something definitely seems out of whack. This is the main reason I'm going to seek professional help (for the hat, of course!).

Mr. H, I had to look it up, but I paid $36 for it.

Marc, that's an overcoat from Jos. A Bank, but it's just wool/cashmere. I was too cheap to spring for the camel hair! I wish I had the money to shop there more often. Decent, very classic threads and they seem to know how to make them fit properly, which is at least as important as the quality of the fabric. I'm hoping to get one of Art's "Eddie G." hats to go along with that coat.

Riccardo, I can't send the hat to you because, if I did, all the women of Sicily would see you wearing it and immediately fall in love with you and your life would become much too complicated. I don't want that on my conscience!

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. I hope my head still fits in the hat after all this:rolleyes:

WEEGEE

Practically Family
NICE HAT photobyalan

photobyalan

I'm hoping to get one of Art's "Eddie G." hats to go along with that coat.

THATS JUST WHAT I WAS FEELING.

:cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot