Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Indy Jacket question

Banzai

Familiar Face
Hello everyone! Long time lurker...you guys are responsible for the fact that I own a US Authentic A-2. Very nice, by the way, but to do it over again I'd probably order one size up. It looked fantastic with my arms down, but reaching forward, (shoe tying, driving, etc.), was terribly constricting, so I had it modified with G-1 style underarm gussets.

However, that's not the point.

Looking at an Indy style jacket. The G&B Expedition is well reviewed here, and in other places, but I'm also looking at the US Authentic Indy. Fit issues aside, I was VERY happy with the A-2. So much nicer than my issue one!

Just based on online pictures, the US Authentic jacket has better looking top-stitching. And the website pictures are overall nice. But...how is the fit? How do the armholes compare to the G&B? How about the hide itself?

And, as a matter of opinion, what do you think of this jacket in black? Because that is an option with US Authentic.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Don't forget about Wested. While their jackets aren't mil-spec tough - their main business is making movie wardrobe, not industrial-strength garments - they represent great value, and are about as authentic an Indy jacket as you'll find. And if you have sizing issues, their remarkably inexpensive custom-sized option is unbeatable.

I have owned a US Authentic A-2 and two G&B jackets, though not their Expedition (a Civil A-2 and a Historical M-422A). All those jackets are tougher... but all were more expensive than my custom Wested Raiders, and none of them fit me nearly as well. I got mine in lambskin, but you'd be better off with goatskin or cowhide. (I actually tore the big back panel of mine - yup, lambskin IS more fragile than other leathers - and Wested repaired it FOR FREE. Now THAT'S customer service!) They make in black too.

http://www.wested.com/indiana-jones-9-c.asp

Hey, there's nothing wrong with either US A or G&B - both are fine makers. But for an Indy jacket, you should also consider Wested.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
If you can persuade Gibson Barnes to use their black goatskin on the Expedition jacket you will be in business. They're not very open to customization (even something as simple as a different leather request) but it might be worth a call.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
The Indy jacket looks just fine in black. Depends what you want, really. I myself wouldn't buy a black one, but only becasue if I was chaigng something as major as the colour, I'd probably rather order a different style of jacket altogether and make other modifications here and there. I do have one Indy jacket, which I ordered because I wanted an Indy jacket specifically, so I stuck with the brown. If, however, the attraction to you in the style of the jacket in and of itself, and you're not just wanting to have 'Indy's jacket' in your collection, black is grand. (I hope I'm articulating this better than I think I am!)

Don't forget about Wested. While their jackets aren't mil-spec tough - their main business is making movie wardrobe, not industrial-strength garments - they represent great value, and are about as authentic an Indy jacket as you'll find. And if you have sizing issues, their remarkably inexpensive custom-sized option is unbeatable.

I'd second this. I don't have the good Doctor's breadth of experience with the various brands, but Wested are definitely nice and shouldn't be ruled out. I'd say it all depends on what you want, combined with how big a spend you can justify. Based on the research I did, my opinion would be that if the Indy is the ultimate jacket for you and you will wear it all the time, then the G&B looks like possibly the best option. Me, I've laways had a bit of a hankering for an Indy, but I knew it's not one I'd wear with the frequency of one of my Aeros. I also wanted a jacket in a lighter leather that I could wear in warmer conditions (I do quite a lot of travelling to China in April/May/June/July. Too hot there for leather typically, but a light leather is often welcome in transit, on an air coniditioned plane, and at the UK end). Thinking it through, I also felt that a cheaper jacket that wasn't just so precious if it got pinched out of a hotel room or lost or whatever. I'm not massively precious about my jackets; I'd wear one of my Aeros travelling if I was going to wear it all the time, but it's different if it's going to be just left in a corner all week I'm away.... ). All things considered, the Indy in a lighter hide suddenly made a lot of sense.

I eventually picked one up on eBay - unworn, silly cheap - I've found it incredibly practical as a travelling jacket. The big pockets are ideal for passport and such, and the zipped inner pocket is a very reassuring extra level of security for a wallet and such when the jacket is being thrown up into the overhead locker - no danger of it falling out. Mine is goat - not quite as light as lamb, but a little stronger. I've found it excellent - the combination of knitless design and light leather makes it an ideal Summer jacket. Just one thing I'd change about the spec if I ever do crack and get myself a nice rendition of the Wested 'hero' version: the sleeve lining. On mine it's a cotton body but satin in the sleeves; if it gets hot, my arms get stick and sweaty very quickly. I'd definitely opt for all-cotton in there, given the chance.

Banzai

Familiar Face
I'm not looking for "Indy's Jacket", but AN "Indy-type Jacket", so screen/movie accuracy isn't the end goal. Basically, as was mentioned above, the basic design has useful pockets and classic design features, and the "action-back" looks like it will also give good mobility. All this is assuming that the "action-back" actually works, but since it was built for stunts/etc., I'm going to assume that it does.

Basically, a useful, classically-styled jacket for when I'm not in the mood for a jacket with knits like my A-2.

So, the G&B Expedition looks like a great candidate for a tough, "mil-spec", Indy jacket. But, the details like top-stitching, etc., look better for the Flightjacket one, and I do like my A-2 from them.

I've also considered the "G-8" jacket as a candidate. I know that it's a "fake" flight jacket, but then again, the Indy is a "fake" adventurer jacket, so it's really about the same. The "G-8" is probably more unique, but I'm still not sure how I feel about those diamond elbow patches...and it doesn't have the same kind of back as the Indy.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I didn't mention Wested because they make accurate repros of the movie jackets - though they do - but because their jackets are excellent value for the price, especially if you need custom sizing or want a wider range of hide and lining choices.

But whatever. G&B makes great stuff too... My G&B Civil A-2 - in black goatskin - has been my most-worn leather jacket since I got it in 2001, and it's held up beautifully.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My G&B Expedition in goatskin is sturdy and well constructed, although the fit is a bit sloppy but not bad for a jacket from EBay for which I only paid a couple of hundred dollars as I recall. Still looks like new money. ;)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The action back only really works on the G&B as they carefully pattern their products. The action back didn't work on the Wested (the company had a different name then) 1981 movie version (as you can see in stills where it is usually open and sloppy). Wested's are pretty average. I'd get the G&B or the U.S. Wings version but as Fanch says the Indy jacket is a sloppy, loose pattern ( not just the G&B) and it doesn't look great on everyone.

Last edited:

Banzai

Familiar Face
I had been steering clear of Wested because a survey of this board seemed to indicate that their jackets were more along the lines of props, and less "utility wear". And, I'll admit, the prices kind of make me wonder where the shortcuts are. After all; made in England is typically MORE expensive, not less.

But they do offer horse, which is about as durable as it comes. And goat.

I'm curious why the back would work on the G&B, and not the Wested. According to G&B, they just replicated a jacket they acquired in Hollywood, which in theory would be a replica of the Wested, since the Wested is the original...right?

And Seb, to clarify; I'm looking at US Authentic, or Flightjackets.com. NOT US Wings. I've read some sketchy things about US Wings quality, cut, and fit, and beyond that, David Hack is a fraud. Maybe he makes good jackets, but I have a lot of trouble giving him money.

Most of his story came under fire during his failed run for public office. SOCNET members were all over the guy. As a fighter pilot (an actual one...not a fraud), I can't bring myself to shop there.

But I've been happy with Shaul at US Authentic. There's just very little out there regarding his take on the Indy.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'm not keen on the look of the G8, lots of seams and it looks like a half-arsed Indy to me. But maybe it fits better. It's actually a rude adaptation of another military jacket has the same elbow triangles but I forget which jacket that was.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I had been steering clear of Wested because a survey of this board seemed to indicate that their jackets were more along the lines of props, and less "utility wear". And, I'll admit, the prices kind of make me wonder where the shortcuts are. After all; made in England is typically MORE expensive, not less.

I'm curious why the back would work on the G&B, and not the Wested. According to G&B, they just replicated a jacket they acquired in Hollywood, which in theory would be a replica of the Wested, since the Wested is the original...right?

And Seb, to clarify; I'm looking at US Authentic, or Flightjackets.com. NOT US Wings. I've read some sketchy things about US Wings quality, cut, and fit, and beyond that, David Hack is a fraud. Maybe he makes good jackets, but I have a lot of trouble giving him money.

Most of his story came under fire during his failed run for public office. SOCNET members were all over the guy. As a fighter pilot (an actual one...not a fraud), I can't bring myself to shop there.

But I've been happy with Shaul at US Authentic. There's just very little out there regarding his take on the Indy.

Firstly, thanks for your service. I don't know anything about David Hack the man, but his Indy jackets are well made by Schott and the action back works. Wested is basically very roughly patterned and built for looks so that's why the action back doesn't work. There are elastics in the G&B and others to make the back work (close up when not stretched) as per those in flight jackets like the G1. Mind you some don't care if the back doesn't work. Many probably haven't even notices since it is screen accurate. No one gets hurt, right?

I agree about Shaul - I know very little about his Indy's but I like his approach and I like his A2's - they are better patterned than most of the other non boutique models. I would not pay more than around $600 for an A2 and frankly, not much more than that for any leather jacket. It's a utilitarian object and once they get to 1k or beyond (even though I could easily afford it) I loose interest. It takes the easy fun out of clothing for me when you pay serious money for items of daily wear. But that's a personal view and if people want to spend $5,000 on a cafe racer that's good by me.

I'd love to see a US Authentic Indy.

Last edited:

tonypaj

Practically Family
Firstly, thanks for your service. I don't know anything about David Hack the man, but his Indy jackets are well made by Schott and the action back works. Wested is basically very roughly patterned and built for looks so that's why the action back doesn't work. There are elastics in the G&B and others to make the back work (close up when not stretched) as per those in flight jackets like the G1. Mind you some don't care if the back doesn't work. Many probably haven't even notices since it is screen accurate. No one gets hurt, right?

I agree about Shaul - I know very little about his Indy's but I like his approach and I like his A2's - they are better patterned than most of the other non boutique models. I would not pay more than around $600 for an A2 and frankly, not much more than that for any leather jacket. It's a utilitarian object and once they get to 1k or beyond (even though I could easily afford it) I loose interest. It takes the easy fun out of clothing for me when you pay serious money for items of daily wear. But that's a personal view and if people want to spend $5,000 on a cafe racer that's good by me.

I'd love to see a US Authentic Indy.

My Wested Indy had elastics. I know simply because I took the lining off when I was bored, then realising how dumb that was, I gave it away. The kid who got it had it re-lined.

I also had a BK Indy, gave that away, as well. Don't know about the construction. I guess Indy jackets are not for me.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Peter at Wested did put elastics in a few jackets some years back by request. I don't think they all have them, he was pretty dismissive of the idea.

Edward

Bartender
I had assumed my Wested had elastic, but I've never looked... This thread is still tempting me towards the Hero version, but I've got three stone to lose before then....

For me, the lamb is a bit too fragile to be practical - best left to those less clumsy than me and the sticklers for accuracy who want a jacket that will be part of a costume that will never be worn outside an air-conditioned convention centre duting Comicon... Mine is the goat. Not as durable as Aero's goat, but perfectly serviceable. Reasonably, I'd put it on a par with a similar Schott in terms of quality of materials, in my experience. Nowhere near an Aero, but its a third of the price of an Aero....

Mine's always worked just fine, except when I put on too much weight for it.... It's not an especially trim style, and I think wearing it too fitted would cause a problem with that.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've never noticed different behavior in the (probably not elastic) action back on my Wested Raiders vs. the (elastic) bi-swing back on my G&B M-422A. Once the pleats are open, they tend to stay open. If anything, the deeper pleats on the M-422A show more of the "batwing" effect than the shallower ones on the Wested.

And about lambskin... While it's true that I did tear the back panel on my Wested and got it replaced (it got caught on a car door as I was closing it), overall the hide has held just up as well as any other leather through 12 years of frequent wear. The topcoat has worn off in some places, but the leather hasn't frayed or broken anywhere - not even on the folds at the sleeve ends, the most likely place for a break to develop. There's no question that lambskin isn't as tough as cow, goat, or horse - but it's still leather and not exactly "fragile".

That said, if I were to get another Wested jacket, it would probably be goatskin.

Oh, speaking of goatskin, regarding US Wings Indy jacket... I got one of these on sale once, and immediately gave it away to friend. Not only did it not remotely fit me right (which in itself is odd, 'cause most XLs fit me acceptably), but I was really unimpressed with the materials. The goatskin wasn't as supple as the goat in my G&B jackets, and it had a very heavy finish coat... it didn't drape like goat. I also didn't like the feel of the acetate lining or the much-bigger-than-necessary zipper. Compared to my Wested Raiders, it was very unsophisticated.

On the plus side, my friend - who's never owned another leather jacket - loves it and has worn it daily through 7 or 8 NYC winters now. There's no denying it's a tough, well made garment. But I'd put it last in the Indy jacket category.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It's good to hear that Wested may have solved their quality issues in more recent times. The Wested I had was made of nice leather but inadequately manufactured. Certainly the G&B was a masterpiece next to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot