Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Intro to Hat Terminology: A Fedora Lounge Guide

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
For those of you new to hats, here's a brief intro to terms and styles. For the sake of simplicity and easy reading, a lot of the finer points have been omitted, but this will at least get you started.

General Hat Styles
hatstyleguide-1.jpg

Common hat creases
creases.jpg

Hat Parts
anatomyofahat-1.jpg

Types of Brim Edges
edgetypes1.jpg

Types of sweatbands
unreededreeded-1.jpg

Dressedtothe9s

New in Town
Thanks again for the great info. I think you are the guy to help me with a question..I have an older Borsalino and I cant seem to find the term for the brim edge. It is not shown above, but has a delicate sewn edge. VERY fine, just on the tip of the edge. Any clues?

m0nk

One Too Many
I didn't know Optimo was doing it....

Here's a picture of my Gay Prince:
20120628_201319.jpg

Is this what you were describing Dressedtothe9s?
That's nice looking. I saw one on their site last year but went back to look it up and can't find it. It wasn't as nearly defined as yours, but similar to the Borsalino style. They have another type of stitched edge too that's similar to a Cavanaugh, but without the slight bump, it's just stitched. It's on a couple of their sample models on the hats page.

scooter

Practically Family
Here's another term I struggle to understand, taper. Could someone please post a couple pics, clearly demonstrating taper?

Decorative stitching on a raw brim edge could fill its own chapter... as would the variations in ribbon binding.

The overcast stitching in the Borsalino you show is a particularly elegant touch. Here is another from the same era:

foldingborso4.jpg

foldingborso10.jpg

and a triple line of V stitching in a pre-war Stetson:

ss11.jpg

job

One Too Many
I think of taper on a hat as having a cone shape or a triangular shaped crown. The sides will not be perpendicular.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Here's another term I struggle to understand, taper. Could someone please post a couple pics, clearly demonstrating taper?

Taper refers to the angle of the sides of the crown. Lincoln's stovepipe topper is an example of a hat with essentially no taper. The Indiana Jones fedora (at least the version in Raiders of the Lost Ark) is another hat that is essentially free of taper.

Here's an old pic of the Stetson Temple I sold a while back:
DSC05502Small.jpg

You can see that the sides start to slope inwards towards the top of the crown, that's taper.
Here's a head on shot of my Fed IV (pardon the poor lighting):
DSC05504Small.jpg

The sides of the Fed IV are much more straight.

Although you can also have taper (or a lack of taper) at the front and back of the crown too, not just the sides.

tealseal

A-List Customer
Snap Brim

Hi guys,
Every time I think I've got this pegged, something comes up that confuses me. So could someone set the record straight on what exactly a "snap brim" is? Comparisons to "shaped brim" would be much appreciated, along with a quick definition of "flange" and it's various forms. I know it's a big ask, but I think the answer would be quite valuable for this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21