Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Un-Muddied Bloody Mary

rumblefish

One Too Many
Before I cook down the tomatoes I grow for making sauce, I remove the seeds and all the juice surrounding them. With the same food-mill I use to strain the cooked tomatoes, I run the seeds through to extract the liquid.

This year I grew San Marzano, Beefsteak, and Cherry Grande.
DSC02928.jpg

Juice and seeds going into the food-mill.
DSC02930.jpg

The juice, pretty translucent.
DSC02934.jpg
DSC02936.jpg

To the vodka pictured here, I added fresh horseradish from my garden last winter and black pepper corns. (So, I started making this drink last March:D )
DSC02945.jpg

A few dashes of Tabasco and a wedge of lemon finish it off.
DSC02948.jpg

Not as filling as a traditional bloody mary.

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
That actually sounds great :) I hate when I am told by a recipe to remove the seeds... the seeds, actually the juice that comes with them, is the best bit!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
rumblefish said:
To the vodka pictured here
A friend turned me onto Svedka a couple years ago and I haven't stocked any other vodka since. To think of all the cash I've wasted on the top shelf nonsense. :eek:

Boodles

A-List Customer
OK Mr Fish, What about the full bodied version??

Now that you've given us the run down on your Bloody Mary Light please go on to the Works Bloody Mary, the "Kitchen Sink" version. I'm still searching for a home-made version that can compare with those I got once and only once in a bar on Tybee Island, SC. The woman barkeep had moved to Tybee from Bar Harbor, Maine. While riding bicycles around Tybee we took refuge from a rain squall in this old house turned bar. The bar was upstairs on a porch. So there we are just a few dry inches from this squall line coming in from the ocean, swilling down the best BM's I have ever encounterd. These were not the house version. I had asked for one like she'd make for herself. I'm talking grated horseradish, Texas Pete, clam juice, the works. We were the only people in the place so no problem. Man, was I grateful for having asked. Wunderbar! By the time I got back there a year or more later the girl had shipped out to parts unknown and along with her went the formula. What remained was your most unremarkable house Bloody Mary.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Boodles said:
Now that you've given us the run down on your Bloody Mary Light please go on to the Works Bloody Mary, the "Kitchen Sink" version.

You know I never gave much thought to the standard, from-the-can tomato juice version.

Perhaps this thread could act as a repository for favorite Bloody Mary recipes, and their garnishes...:)

Anyone else like to offer some up?

Boodles

A-List Customer
Bloody Mary Recipes, Anyone

rumblefish said:
You know I never gave much thought to the standard, from-the-can tomato juice version.

Perhaps this thread could act as a repository for favorite Bloody Mary recipes, and their garnishes...:)

Anyone else like to offer some up?

Excellent idea Mr. Fish. Maybe that girl from Bar Harbor will see this and share her formula. I hope she's working in some high-dollar place making a killing putting together bloody mary's for the monied.

I have had an exceptional bloody mary at a sports bar in Mexico (It had a name like Ray's Sports Bar!) and was just north from those little lobster dinner towns Cabo San Something. They are about 90 -120 minutes south of the border on the Pacific side the dinners were great and we headed up to rays' for the BM's. It was so good my mom had 3 and she wasn't the big drinker at all.

A family member always used V8 and they had a taste of their own.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
I have had an exceptional bloody mary at a sports bar in Mexico (It had a name like Ray's Sports Bar!) and was just north from those little lobster dinner towns Cabo San Something. They are about 90 -120 minutes south of the border on the Pacific side the dinners were great and we headed up to rays' for the BM's. It was so good my mom had 3 and she wasn't the big drinker at all.

A family member always used V8 and they had a taste of their own.

...and can you imagine those lobster :D dinner restaurants on the Pacific, and sharing the good times and drinking Bloody Mary with all of our friends? Sheer heaven! :D

Yup, I can. That trip was a group of about 40+ of us that rented one of those really cool charter buses to go to Mexico to celebrate a friends birthday, Sam of the Stuffed Sandwich fame. A fine day for all except for those that over-imbibed.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Lobster or prawns + Bloody Mary all in one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oooooooooo:D

then after that lobster salad!

...and lobster thermidor for main course too! :eusa_clap

ok im very hungry now :p :D

0509091427.jpg

J.L. Picard

One of the Regulars
HadleyH said:

ok im very hungry now :p :D

0509091427.jpg

Lobster ??

001606_Boiled-Lobster.gif

OMG! I probably will be toasted on this one...:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Yes! dessert after that! :D ...and coffee of course! :coffee:

J.L. Picard ..... why did you have to go and post that horrible picture? [bad]
I don't eat red meat, and now i am supposed not to eat seafood either? mmm????

:p :p

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
HadleyH said:

CheckMark.jpg

:p

J.L. Picard

One of the Regulars
I apologize

HadleyH said:
Yes! dessert after that! :D ...and coffee of course! :coffee:

J.L. Picard ..... why did you have to go and post that horrible picture? [bad]
I don't eat red meat, and now i am supposed not to eat seafood either? mmm????

:p :p

Sorry for being such a party p...But lobsters have feelings too...:(

lobsterGirl007.jpg

J.L. Picard

One of the Regulars
Now if you really persist being such a cold blooded lobsterivorous :eusa_doh:

Let me suggest a fantastic Sauvignon Blanc :

26841363.jpg

A nice bouquet of ripe peach, honey, and spices. It is round, smooth with a nice freshness in mouth...:cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner