Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ancestor hat pics

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
In name of both my, alas deceased, parents, thank you very much for the comments. Looking back at those days, and knowing how it was, well, they're very, very well dressed. I was born in 1949, by the way, but you can't see me on the picture ;-)

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Last edited:

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Good question, Zetwal. They're wicker beach chairs, very typical of the (once) very fashionable beach resort of Scheveningen (for instance, the WWI emperor of Germany retired there -in WWI neutral Holland- after that war).

Ah yes, I see them now. Thanks for that.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
My grandfather in Milan wearing some sort of cap. (man I wished I looked like him!)

Bisabuelo.jpg

Last edited:
Good question, Zetwal. They're wicker beach chairs, very typical of the (once) very fashionable beach resort of Scheveningen (for instance, the WWI emperor of Germany retired there -in WWI neutral Holland- after that war).

There's a few better pictures of them here,

http://www.nuentoen.nl/fotos/99448/1936-strandstoelen-scheveningen-naar-de-winteropslag.html

and here...
http://www.jenneken.nl/bekijk/1900strandlevennoordzee.htm

Paul

Fantastic reference! Zetwal has the eyes of a hawk.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I introduce my my Grandfather Walter. Grandfather meet FL members.

I would like to introduce my Grandfather Walter. He and his wife immigrated to the US in the late 1940's. This pic was taken in 1960 with me (1 years old) in the drive way of the transit (trucking) company he owned in and around the Duluth, MN area. His trucks hauled iron ore from the Iron Range in MN or wood for the paper or pulp mills. A very good business in the 50's thru the 70's (when he sold) for my Mom's family. In the background of the pic is the Northwest Paper Co. railroad station - Cloquete, MN.

WalterEric-M.jpg

Grandfather Walter is shown in the above pic wearing his fav everyday hat. My Grandmother Hilda confirmed that it was a "Stetson." When asked about the hats in the pic, she said that she was proud that her husband owned a couple of "Stetson business hats. He looked handsome in the hats."

Thanks for allowing me to share a pic of my grandfather. He was a successfull businessman who immigrated from Scandinavia. He arrived, like most of our relatives with almost nothing. Their efforts are legend in our family. Thanks Walter for being a loving Grandfather and a lifelong example for me. He did not live long enough.

On the hat front - easy wearing hat I see in this pic. It did not survive to my generation. I can not say that I started this year wearing hats because of my Grandfather, but he did set a life long example of work ethos that I follow today.

Best wishes, Eric -

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80