Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ancestor hat pics

Terry292

New in Town

Found a few more pictures of my family. 1. My Aunt Bonnie, her husband (right) and unidentified friend, circa late 40's-early 50's. 2. Dad and his step-brother, Earl, circa late 20's-early 30's. 3. Earl (right) and friend, date unknown. 4. Dad (right) and our neighbor, Oscar, in the Smokey Mountains National Park, circa 1970. The hat may look small on Oscar's head, but he was 6' 5" and weighed in the neighborhood of 300 lbs. 5. My Uncle Wayne (right), one of my great uncles and his wife, at my grandfather's funeral, Sep 1948. Wayne was in the 1st Marine Division and fought at Pelileiu and Okinawa, two of the bloodiest battles in Marine history. 6. This one doesn't really belong with ancestor pictures. Me at the USS Arizona Memorial, 1985.

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
MarjorieIEvans021.jpg

Love the crease on that Panama hard to find a Panama today with that crease.

RBH

Bartender
[Found a few more pictures of my family. 1. My Aunt Bonnie, her husband (right) and unidentified friend, circa late 40's-early 50's. 2. Dad and his step-brother, Earl, circa late 20's-early 30's. 3. Earl (right) and friend, date unknown. 4. Dad (right) and our neighbor, Oscar, in the Smokey Mountains National Park, circa 1970. The hat may look small on Oscar's head, but he was 6' 5" and weighed in the neighborhood of 300 lbs. 5. My Uncle Wayne (right), one of my great uncles and his wife, at my grandfather's funeral, Sep 1948. Wayne was in the 1st Marine Division and fought at Pelileiu and Okinawa, two of the bloodiest battles in Marine history. 6. This one doesn't really belong with ancestor pictures. Me at the USS Arizona Memorial, 1985.

Great photos. Glad you joined us!

jwalls

Vendor
Family%252520John3.jpg

Great granddad with his favorite fedora 1959 or 1960. My signature quote was something he said to me on my 20th birthday!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for posting all these great photos!
I, for one, really enjoy seeing them!

Thanks. I have just gotten two big boxes of family pictures going back to the 1880's and am working on scanning all to digital files. As I come across more clear scans I will continue to post 'em up. Glad you folks enjoy 'em :)

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
My dad, 1940's....

Dad_Fedora_3.jpg

Dad (left), with twin brother (right). during WWII.

Albert_Alton_1-2.jpg

Another of dads brothers drew this sometime in the 30's...

Clarence_art_man_fedora_crop-3.jpg

Last edited:

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Were your parents/grandparents/etc hat wearers?

Were/are there any other hat wearers in your family? If so, who?
For those whose parents wore hats (I'm talking people whose parents were of the WWII/Korean War generation): Did your parents continue to wear hats after the 1950s/1960s?

For example (I'm dealing only with my mom's side as I know little about my dad's):
My Irish great grandfather was born in 1887. The earliest photos there are of him are from the 1930s. In almost every candid outdoor picture of him, he's wearing a hat of some kind, be it a flat cap or a fedora. In the last image of him, a film from June 1963, he's wearing either a fedora or a homburg. He died the next yar.

There are only only three photographs of my Italian great grandfather left in existence--the rest were likely trashed. He was born in 1883. In one of the photographs, taken in 1945, he's holding a very wide brimmed, high fedora--so it's likely he wore a hat, especially as he was bald.

My great uncles (his sons and son-in-law): I had two great uncles, and one great uncle-in-law.

My great Uncle Frank, born in 1912, wore a Navy sort of cap during the winter in the 1940s/1950s.

My great Uncle John, born in 1910, my grandpa's brother, is seen wearing or holding a fedora around the late 1940s/early 50s, mostly in shots of him where the weather is cold (Fall/early Spring). On vacation he didn't wear a hat it seems. I haven't seen many photos of him after the 50s except for one taken in 1973 where he's hatless--so it's unknown if he wore hats after the 1950s. He died in 1979.

My great uncle in law, born in 1918, is in one late 1940s photo holding a fedora--it's on his lap technically. But I've never seen any other photos of him in a fedoa after that. He died in 1991 and we have some brief footage of him from a few months before he died--In one of the photos he's wearing a ball cap.

My biological grandfather never wore a hat except during the Army--his little military hat--and also while working as a Cabbie during the early 1950s, a flatcap. That's the only time he wore a hat, besides for work as a Security Guard and Mailman.

My step-grandfather, born in 1917, wore ALL different kinds of hats. I've never seen any of him in a felt fedora except for a photo when he was a younger man, but when he was older, he wore ball caps, non-felt fedoras, flat caps, floppy hats. Even a candid picture taken indoors a month before he died shows him reading the paper with a flatcap on in the house. He loved to wear all sorts of hats, even up to his death. His main hat of choice though was a ballcap, though it is said he basically wore hats all the time. However, he too was bald. I haven't seen any pictures of him wearing a hat until he went bald--sometime after the 1970s.

My father, starting around the 1980s, has worn a variety of hats. He wore a felt fedora around the early/mid 80s, he often wore a beret around the mid-late 1980s, he began wearing Straw and Straw cowboy style hats in the 1990s and has at times worn a felt fedora, though it's a rare occasion.

My brother in law pretty much wears a ball cap ALL THE TIME--even in the house, almost ALL THE DAMN TIME. It's a trademark of his. He's worn a ballcap for as long as I can remember.

My nephew sometimes wears one of those new stingy brim fedoras--Non felt stingy brim fedoras/trilbys. My other nephew ALWAYS wears a ball cap.

Last edited:

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Great Grandpa (Italian side) with my grandpa, 1945:
42219451.jpg

Grandpa's brother John with Grandpa, 1945:
42219452.jpg

My Great Uncle John with my Great Uncle in law, 1940s:
461jh.jpg

Great Uncle in Law (same guy as pictured above), 1991:
img191copye.jpg

Forum statistics