Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Andy Rooney

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm not surprised! Andy Rooney hates just about everything!!!! And you know what, I can't stand him. He's horrible, and self absorbed, biased and just down right ugly!! No, I don't have any hard feelings for the little troll:p :rage: :p :D But, every week I do watch his commentary at the end of 60 Minutes, just to see what he has to complain about. I find his ignorance quite amusing, and ask Hem, I usually find myself yelling at him through my television during his segment.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
While I think Andy is a pretty funny guy...

It's a real stretch to say the fedora is "one of the dumbest items of clothing ever invented." Too utilitarian to be dumb. Now, spats, maybe. And, from a function perspective, I've never really understood ties. I wonder if Andy's running out of things to say at this point in life.

Jazzman64

New in Town
Daisy Buchanan said:
I'm not surprised! Andy Rooney hates just about everything!!!! And you know what, I can't stand him. He's horrible, and self absorbed, biased and just down right ugly!! No, I don't have any hard feelings for the little troll:p :rage: :p :D But, every week I do watch his commentary at the end of 60 Minutes, just to see what he has to complain about. I find his ignorance quite amusing, and ask Hem, I usually find myself yelling at him through my television during his segment.

Bravo...Well Said

Russ

One of the Regulars
That's the first time I ever heard the fedora called dumb. Most people who decline to wear it will at least admit it is practical.

I wear a vest, carry a pocket watch on a chain, tie my tie in a windsor knot -- and have a full beard. Andy would not approve.

I wonder what he would say about my button suspenders and trousers with split yoke in back?

Jay

Practically Family
I'm in. Besides, who cares what an 88 year old arrogant old man thinks? Most of the time I go along with what old people say, but he just plain sucks.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I used to find Andy Rooney entertaining, but I have to say, this article was just a bunch if random observations on clothing. I failed to see any point to the article at all. Sorry, though, Daisy, I don't dislike him.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Snrbfshn said:
Too utilitarian to be dumb. Now, spats, maybe.

You wouldn't say that if we still lived in an era when you had to protect your socks from horse droppings when you walked outside. But then, spats pretty much died out when that era passed.

As to Rooney, I've never really paid attention to him. Do all his columns have such a severe lack of logical reasoning, thesis, historical accuracy, and relevancy to the public?

Feraud

Bartender
The guy is annoying and should have retired years ago.
How does he get away with such disjointed silliness?
I get the impression he always wanted to be an Ambrose Bierce but lacked any sense of sharp wit. His career is complaining about anything.

Feraud said:
The guy is annoying and should have retired years ago.
How does he get away with such disjointed silliness?
I get the impression he always wanted to be an Ambrose Bierce but lacked any sense of sharp wit. His career is complaining about anything.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
And, I don't know where he has been but the elastic in socks really doesn't hold them up. It wears out fast and the socks puddle at your ankle. That jerry rigged pair of sock garters increases the life of sock dramatically. Then again, he probably doesn't want to admit that he still wears them. :p I don't even want to think about him in boxers with sock garters on. :eek: :eusa_doh:
What an old curmudgeon---coming from a young one. :p

Regards,

J

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Bah. Andy Rooney. Never did care for the guy. Can't think about him now without thinking about Mike Nelson, Tom Servo, and Crow T. Robot competing in their "Andy Rooney-off" on Mystery Science Theater 3000:

Mike: Hi everyone, Mike Nelson here. Not a lot of time to talk, you see, Crow challenged Tom Servo and I to Andy Rooney-off. No one, I mean no one questions my ability to imitate Andy Rooney.

Gypsy: Quiet. It's time for the compulsory round. Each of you will have ten seconds to Andy Rooney. Your topic: soup.

Mike: Soup!

Gypsy: Crow, begin!

Crow (Andy Rooney voice): Soup is funny. Not really a meal, nor is it really a first course... 'Cause it's mostly made of water. I find soup to be the most watery of foods.

Gypsy: Michael J. Nelson.

Mike (Andy Rooney voice): Okay, uh... Some soups have beans in them, and there are beans that are as watery as soup, but they're not soup. I don't trust soups on the whole, no more than I trust stew.

Gypsy: Tom Servo.

Servo (Andy Rooney voice): There are soups with bread in them. I don't really understand that. To me it's arbitrary whether you put bread in the soup, or soup in the bread. You still have sloppy bread.

Gypsy: Freestyle!

Crow (Andy Rooney voice): I like to exchange meat... I mean, they really don't have to worry about hair until they start running into me... I love... Woah!

Mike (Andy Rooney voice): I was thinking about hats the other day and they talked to me about trying to keep my head all warm, but I suspect that...

Servo (Andy Rooney voice): How would soups anger me? I'm really not so angry as to thinking about doing that. Simply until there's a period of mole...

Gypsy: Time! The results when we return.

Crow (Andy Rooney voice): Results are... Results are fun. I once had a...

Mike (Andy Rooney voice): Results are funny. Some are positive, some are negative, but it's really about...

Servo (Andy Rooney voice): Results. Why don't I have my choice of spaghetti when I can have a quarter of pasta...

Andy Rooney is great! I like the old curmudgeon. I want to be just like him someday. Oh, wait, i already am like him.

And, to be frank (you can still call yourselves what you like, but from now on, i'm Frank), look through the threads in the Observation Bar now and again. Grumble grumble, everyhthing was better back then . . . grumble grumble, everything now *sucks* . . . grumble grumble grumble. No different from Rooney's ramblings half of the time.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=185

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=15667

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=15647

Any different to the Hat's section whining about the preponderance of baseball hats or beanies? Methinks not.

frank kurtz

The Wingnut

One Too Many
He calls them 'the dumbest thing ever invented' but doesn't even say why. I'm inclined to think he was just looking for something to harp on and couldn't find a better target.

...the Observation Bar? What's that? ;)

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I wonder if the people at 60 Minutes actually like him and his schtick or is it that he's been there so long that they can't get rid of him? I'm glad that he doesn't like fedoras. I'd hate it if he loved them and I would be associated with him by also liking them.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
"Andy Rooney is great! I like the old curmudgeon. I want to be just like him someday. Oh, wait, i already am like him." -Baron Kurtz

Send in your audition tape now. He's old, I wouldn't wait...and don't worry, we'll be kind. You're our kind of curmudgeon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats