Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another hat story but with a local twist

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
That's interesting, Art, I wondered what was up with that fedora. The next day, he wore a ballcap to court. Curious.

When a photo appeared online in the Washington Post, there was a thread in which someone mentioned that he looked like a gangster in the black hat and coat.

That stigma is still out there, I fear, and seeing someone like Abramoff wearing a fedora probably doesn't help. Most folks didn't see a religious Jew, they saw a hood.

karol

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Interesting article and great to see you quoted Art. When I saw that hat I thought it kinda liked like the Cuomo, but you can never tell from a photo. I've seen these hats in person and am not very impressed. The liners are glued in and the felt is very porous feeling. I'd rather have one of your's Art.

fedoralover

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Interesting. And of course, I myself today am wearing a custom black brim made by Trent Johnson. I am indeed a bad guy, so Art was right on!:cool2:

MattC

A-List Customer
Art Fawcett, Hat Missionary

Art that was a great quote. I liked that you pointed out that the hat did not look good (it sure didn't) and also explained what he would look better in. Lemonade out of lemons.

How did the reporter find you, Art? Reporters are often like too many eBay sellers in that they are dealing in matters of which they have little knowledge. (This isn't a blanket slam on feature reporters and columnists. They get stuck covering things they know next to nothing about, and then have precious little time to learn what they can and write their stories. Believe me, I know how it goes.) It's good to see that Mr. Weiss found a source who knows of what he speaks.
Riccardo, Jack Abramoff is a fine, God-fearing American with a keen understanding of how government really works. These days, our halls of power are thick with his ilk.

A little off the topic but I have to relate a story to you. A good friend of mine married his college sweetheart, who happens to be Jewish and a really great lady. In her sde of the family they have cousins that are the more Orthadox observant, so the men and boys will come to the family get-togethers wearing the traditional black fedora. My friends kids would refer to their cousins as "the FBI!"

Which leads me to the Jimmy Stewart movie "The FBI Story" which is an dated but interesting perspective on the that law enforcemant agency.
Lots of Fedoras in that one.

Sincerely,

WEEGEE

Practically Family
BAD GUYS , RABBI or FBI

I am US born of Irish Catholic heritage...have a goatee...i get the Rabbi

comment on a regular basis...sometimes when the hat i have on is another color then black.

not that i mind--

Rabbi (Classical Hebrew ?ǬØ?Ö‚Äú?Ǭ??Ö‚Äú??ÉÀÜ ribb?Ǭ•;; modern Ashkenazi and Israeli ?ǬØ?É?í?Ǭ??Ö‚Äú??ÉÀÜ rabb?Ǭ•) in Judaism, means "teacher", or more literally "great one". The word "Rabbi" is derived from the Hebrew root-word RaV, which in biblical Hebrew means "great" or "distinguished, (in knowledge)".

its just funny what people use as signifiers...

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
It's funny gents, I've been exposed to media for years and this was the closest exact quote done from my words. The only thing that gave me pause was that I was laughing and the quote was more a question with a smile. " Don't bag guy's always wear black in the movies?..if I were in his position I would have considered as pure a white as I could get? But then..he DID plead guilty".
Tony, a member of this Lounge called me in advance and asked for the interview on behalf of the reporter ( and to catch up a little). He explained the Forward and the connection to the hat. Since I am a westcoaster and the Hasidic (sp) community is less visible here he filled me in on the religeous side of the "black hat", which I was grateful for. There is SO much I don't know!!

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
How do you I feel Art ? We are getting a lot of calls about the hat that people think was bought in our store . I don't know if this is good or bad publicity .
I guess any free publicity will do .:cool2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy