Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Highwayman jacket?

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
I came across this jacket while surfing on the net and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this company. It looks like an Aero copy.
highway_man_leather_jacket_profile_.jpg

More information: http://www.leather.com/motorcycle/usa_made_biker_jackets/highway_man_leather_motorcycle_jacket.htm

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
captaincaveman1 said:
Looks promising but the cut seems odd and what's up with the long sleeves. Could be the jacket is just too big on the model.

I prefer a more fitted look. More taper.
I agree, the sleeves need altering on the model. It sure looks like a copy to me.

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
Speedbird said:
It's way too big on the model!

Pushrod, I am interested to know why you say it looks like an Aero copy?
Well I'm just going by the stlye of it, It seems to have the same features. I'm only going by the photos though.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
But a copy of what? do you mean the original Aero NY company or the modern Aero company in Galashiels, Scotland? And who actually originated this style anyway?

Navin323i

Practically Family
I see one very subtle difference... the name of that jacket is the "Highway Man", not Highwayman.

The Highwayman from Aero is such a popular style that you're bound to see many copies of that style elsewhere from other companies. :)

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
Speedbird said:
But a copy of what? do you mean the original Aero NY company or the modern Aero company in Galashiels, Scotland? And who actually originated this style anyway?
Well I dont know who originated this stlye, but to me it looks like an Aero Highwayman model Galashiels, Scotland. Like this one:
Highwayman006.jpg

Speedbird

A-List Customer
granted ... perhaps I am feeling particularly grumpy tonight... but what I am trying to say is, it is difficult to call something a copy of something that is already widespread anyway.

And that makes it so much clearer.. not ... :eusa_doh:

If anyone wants to judge this jacket, judge it in its own right...

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
Navin323i said:
I see one very subtle difference... the name of that jacket is the "Highway Man", not Highwayman.

The Highwayman from Aero is such a popular style that you're bound to see many copies of that style elsewhere from other companies. :)
Your probably right about that Navin.

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
Speedbird said:
granted ... perhaps I am feeling particularly grumpy tonight... but what I am trying to say is, it is difficult to call something a copy of something that is already widespread anyway.

And that makes it so much clearer.. not ... :eusa_doh:

If anyone wants to judge this jacket, judge it in its own right...
I agree, I did not mean to put it in a bad light, just wondered if anyone had any experience with it.

Pushrod said:
Well I dont know who originated this stlye, but to me it looks like an Aero Highwayman model Galashiels, Scotland.

Yes..it does have the same features as the Aero Highwayman. I've dealt with SD leather a couple times and their quality can be somewhat lacking. I sent my orders back. Not near the quality of Aero.
HD

bobjones

A-List Customer
To my semi-trained eye, it doesn't look like the best made jacket I've seen. That the sleeves and jacket are a poor fit for their model don't help matters.

It just looks sloppily made, IMO.

I did a search on Club Obi-wan as I recalled hearing it mentioned there, and the company's product took a bit of a beating. Too bad really, since I like to give any companies manufacturing in the US or Europe the benefit of the doubt.

But why spend $300 for a not so great product, when $550 gets you an Aero that is superb?

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Let's not go down this road again. I probably phrased my initial post badly - it was meant in no way to be offensive to Pushrod and/or Aero from Galashiels and their simply wonderful 'Highwayman' jacket, modelled superbly by Pushrod. Now, that is a fine looking jacket, cut and styled to fit in a particularly dashing yet utilitarian manner reminiscent of big bad bikes, desert highways and pure freedom. Pushrod has chosen a good fit for him that just looks right. He embodies the 'Born to be Wild' image. Put him and that jacket on a low-rider or fat-boy riding through Monument Valley and you've got a marketing dream, or 'cliche' if you prefer.

None of this actually answers the single important question: is the jacket in question any good?

To say it is an Aero copy doesn't help - it uses the same style of design, that's all. Many other jackets do too. To be fair this company doesn't exactly help themselves by calling it a 'Highway Man'. It invites the copycat reference and maybe that is all they are - copycats. But that doesn't help people who use the Forum to gain knowledge and seek advice before spending their hard earned dollars/pounds. Dismissing something as a copy out of hand tells us nothing and it doesn't help the original either.

To say it looks sloppily made is an impossible judgement to make from a single photo without any detail close-ups. To say that the company might be a bit slap-dash in their presentation is fair and probably an understatement. If I was presenting that jacket for a catalogue picture I would have made sure the model was wearing one two sizes too small so he could hardly breathe and ensured the sleeve fit which is so noticeable is absolutely spot on.

In short, it looks like a 'Highwayman' in style; but it isn't an Aero 'Highwayman'. Comparing one to the other without a scale of reference is hopelessly futile. The questions that need to be answered are:

For $300, is it value for money? what are it's strengths and weaknesses?

We really need a benchmarking system in the Lounge so we can all be consistent and avoid slanderous/libellous judgements ..... let's say that Aero Scotland is the benchmark because everyone knows and loves their work and they are a known entity. Let's create a system of 'aero' stars to award new finds....

An Aero gets 5/5 'aeros'

This jacket, for example, could be worth 3/5 'aeros'

A Good Wear might be worth 7/5 'aeros'

wow... I am going to go have a lie down now.

I am absolutely bewildered by the fact that now any jacket thread must be dissected into technical tidbits of debate...even including what is mean't by a "copy"..or is it really a copy...when it's appearance is quite obvious. Then to question the intent of the poster's question...or how he or we should arrive at conclusions seems almost a hijacking of sorts although somehow remaining partly on subject. In reality...it's quite simple...Yes,it does most certainly look like an Aero "highwayman" "Copy". Anyone familiar with the Aero Highwayman wouldn't mistake it for anything else. And,yes...at least one of us has had experience with this company. Not complicated at all....in my view
HD

bobjones

A-List Customer
JoeNiblick said:
They've upped the price just a bit.

I bought my Hwyman some 7 months ago which isn't that long, and the exchange rate was the primary driver of the low cost admittedly, which for me was about $550.

I'd still rather pay $800 for a top quality, genuine front quarter HH jacket than a $300 cowhide. For those on a different budget, then I can understand the appeal of the less expensive jacket.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Everyone makes good points here; yes it does look like an Aero Highwayman. And yes it could be construed as a "copy" in appearance; and yes it needs to be judged on its own merit. What has to happen is for a couple of guys to step up and say "I own this jacket and it's great based on" .......etc. Or" I had this jacket and sent it back because it sucked based on".......etc. I believe that is what Pushrod wanted,
bring our attention to this product and maybe(to all FL members benefit) a discussion or review of the jacket as has been done with Vanson, Fox Creek and others. At least everyone seems to agree that modern Aero is the benchmark. BTW Speedbird, are you gonna pull the trigger and get the Chinese A-2 Monarch? Come on buddy, take one for the team! HeHeHe
too much coffee out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats