Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antica Formula Sweet Vermouth

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
There has been a little bit said here about Carpano's vermouth but I figure it deserves a thread. I discovered it when ordering a Manhattan at the Roosevelt hotel in Hollywood. It was one of the best I had ever had the pleasure of drinking. I noticed the bartender used a bottle I had never seen before so I inquired and learned of this lovely drink. It costs several times more than Rossi...but some things you don't skimp on.

2011_03_04-Carpano.jpg

carpano.jpg

http://www.specialitybrands.com/Antica-Formula-Vermouth.htm

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I cannot say enough good things about Carpano Antica. If you like Manhattans and haven't tried this Vermouth, you owe it to yourself to do so. Top self spirits deserve top shelf mixers.

jmrtnko

Familiar Face
Absolutely excellent stuff, in cocktails, or on its own.

Be warned that it is very, very tricky to mix with. It's so full of flavor, it tends to overpower any other ingredients in a cocktail. Best to either dial back the amounts, or just mix the drink perfect with an equally fine dry like Dolin.

If you're in the US and see it anywhere, Cocchi just started finally importing their sweet vermouth here this year. It is terrific and very similar in flavor to Carpano, but lighter, and much easier to mix with normal proportions. It also comes in a fifth instead of a liter and a slight bit cheaper per ounce to boot.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Punt e Mes is quite good too. In regards to whether Capano Antica - or Punt e Mes for that mater - overpower other spirits in drinks, it might be useful to look at it like for another perspective. As a good friend and master mixologist put it to me, is your palet perhaps accustomed to unflavorful Vermouths?

Certain spirits do lend themselves to mixing with potent Vermouths like Antica and Punt e Mes, though. I highly recommend Rittenhouse 100-Proof Rye. Its distinctively an authentic rye, which is to say its not a sipping Bourbon masquerading as something else.

Last edited:

jmrtnko

Familiar Face
The difficulty comes from the fact that Antica and Punt e Mes are not exactly straight vermouths. Both start out as fairly normal Torinos, but really are a bit more akin to pre-bottled cocktails. Antica has added vanilla, and Punt e Mes, with extra bitter and sugar, is half-way to an amaro.

Most recipes that don't mention a brand are typically expecting an M&R-level vermouth. Anyone following them unaltered and expecting to swap 1:1 is going to be surprised by a very vermouth-forward drink. Absolutely nothing wrong with Carpano straight, so if you can't taste the other ingredients, there's no use in wasting them.

But if you're willing to dial the Antica back a bit (really only 25%) the full, round flavor still comes through, it's just not turned up to 11.

(Owner of a pint glass full of Antica corks)

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I agree that modern cocktail books expect low quality vermouth. The thing is, prior the the era of Martini & Rosi type schlock Vermouths, lots of "not exactly straight vermouths" were used. Ever notice how many cocktails in 30s era Mr Boston guides call for dashes of vermouth? I think that speaks to potency of what they were using back then.

Proportions, when using premium vermouths, need to be looked at the same way one looks at juice proportions when mixing from prohibition era recipes (e.g. understood that they were using them to cover the taste of low quality spirits rather than to enhance the flavor of premium spirits).

When using Carpano or Punt e Mes I usually half what I'd use if I was mixing with something like Dolin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR