Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

any cases of haunted vintage jackets story to share?

thor

Call Me a Cab
I just go with reproduction leather jackets now. Avoid the whole "haunted-jacket, negative-karma" thing. Better fit. No bad ju-ju. That's just me. To each his own.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I absolutely love ghost stories but have yet to hear of anything that can't be explained in more scientific terms that don't require the concept of magic or events outside the physical laws of physics/reality as we know them.

The only haunting a jacket can do in reality is through your bank balance by making you pay more than its worth or in terms of a missed or regretted feature, colour etc...they can be scary enough lol

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah...mucho $$$ has disappeared from my Bank Account..spirited away one might say :) Left me leather or nylon in exchange..."I am possessed" as far as outer wear is concerned (or at least that's the excuse I give the Wife).

whereas there's something creepy about an obsessive collector having certain things - concentration camp memorabilia particularly. It's not limited to the 'bad guys', though. Some of the creepiest people I've ever met were obsessives for the allied stuff, guys who fantasised about being in their own Hollywood version of WW2 where they could get to kill people and be praised for it because their intended victims would be the bad people. There's something very wrong indeed about anyone who would actively relish killing someone, irrespective of who. Killing for the enjoyment of killing, irrespective of any arguments over justice. Creepy.

Reminds me of something I had read in a book called Bloodletters and Badmen which contains profiles of some of the most notorious criminals of the twentieth century. One of them was a guy who went on a shooting rampage in the 1950s killing several people. I forgot his name but the upshot was that he was a tank machinegunner during World War II and had kept a diary where not only did he record each German he had killed but also included detailed, graphic descriptions of the bodies.

thor

Call Me a Cab
I remember some years ago someone sellng an original A-2 somewhere on the Internet and he highlighted the fact that it was worn in combat by an airman killed in action. There was a close-up photo of a hole in the side (presumably from a bullet/shrapnel) and "dried blood" stains on the liner. Way too creepy.

pipvh

Practically Family
I inherited a German artillery range finder/trench periscope from my grandfather, who was a British artillery officer in ww1 and had captured it from a German battery in 1918. I spent hours and hours looking through them as a kid. If you think what sights had been seen through them, the destruction... Anyway, delightful as that was to speculate about when I was small, the thing never had so much as a tremor of 'presence,' and still doesn't. I agree with whoever it was up-thread who talked about 'haunted minds.' Far more real, and worrying. My poor old grandfather, who ended up going through both wars, was far more haunted than any thing he could have brought away with him.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
... Theorists speak of our "psychic footprint" and "reciprocal influences" in what we do, how we do it and it's lasting effect on other people's lives and also our environment. ...

I wouldn't call them "theorists"...:D The only thing that haunts me is my lasting lust for a smoke!:eeek::eusa_doh::D

stevew443

One of the Regulars
Something like that, yeah.

same with Bayonets and knives from the war, Some of them tasted blood..you dont want those lying around the place.

My brother-in-law purchased a bayonet from Gettysburg, and it came with a ghost of a man who had been killed by the bayonet. I saw that ghost on a couple of times and had some interesting interactions with the ghost (that scared the bejibbers out of me).

Big J

Call Me a Cab
My brother-in-law purchased a bayonet from Gettysburg, and it came with a ghost of a man who had been killed by the bayonet. I saw that ghost on a couple of times and had some interesting interactions with the ghost (that scared the bejibbers out of me).

You see, this is exactly the type of thing that stops me from criticizing people who have ghost stories.
Don't get me wrong, my logical, scientific brain says that all such stories are baloney that can be explained by psychology, science, or they are just plain old 'marketing', because the fact is that I have never knowingly seen a 'ghost'.

But people I know have. My father saw the ghost of a dead colleague at work, my mother saw the ghost of my fathers grandmother, and a pilot at a WW2 airfield converted into a factory, and three Air Force buddies saw an alien.

So I want to say all these stories are rubbish, but if I do, I have to doubt the testimony of people I'd otherwise trust with my life, and that's a mental jolt.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I personally never see, hear, or smell anything caused by paranormal sources, but I can't say ones who experience all that are lying or have overactive imagination, or what they experience should all be able to be explained logically.

It would be the same like saying HBO doesn't exist just because I don't have a subscription with cable tv to decode it. We have limited senses, dog hears and smells much better than we do, cat and owl can see in the dark much better than we do, snake can detect heat sources with their tongue, what are we to use our selves as the ultimate standard to decide things exist or not exist.... so I personally keep an open mind toward all things, and feeling blessed not being sensitive enough to experience all those scary things.:D

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I personally never see, hear, or smell anything caused by paranormal sources, but I can't say ones who experience all that are lying or have overactive imagination, or what they experience should all be able to be explained logically.

It would be the same like saying HBO doesn't exist just because I don't have a subscription with cable tv to decode it. We have limited senses, dog hears and smells much better than we do, cat and owl can see in the dark much better than we do, snake can detect heat sources with their tongue, what are we to use our selves as the ultimate standard to decide things exist or not exist.... so I personally keep an open mind toward all things, and feeling blessed not being sensitive enough to experience all those scary things.:D

Yeah, that's true. My dog can smell sausages even when they are still in the car.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
yes, with such developed nose, why in the world would they stick their nose into another dog's ass to smell them, wouldn't it be overwhelming for their super sensitive smelling sense.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
You see, this is exactly the type of thing that stops me from criticizing people who have ghost stories.
Don't get me wrong, my logical, scientific brain says that all such stories are baloney that can be explained by psychology, science, or they are just plain old 'marketing', because the fact is that I have never knowingly seen a 'ghost'.

But people I know have. My father saw the ghost of a dead colleague at work, my mother saw the ghost of my fathers grandmother, and a pilot at a WW2 airfield converted into a factory, and three Air Force buddies saw an alien.

So I want to say all these stories are rubbish, but if I do, I have to doubt the testimony of people I'd otherwise trust with my life, and that's a mental jolt.

Well, man's ability to fool himself is virtually unlimited. That much I concede. ;)

Stand By

One Too Many

It's true, it is a mental jolt. Once upon a time, I would have agreed with you 100%, Big J. I'd have scoffed and said it was all nonsense as my logical mind would have demanded definite proof …

And then, when I was around 21 or so, things started happening around me - things I heard, then felt and later saw in no uncertain terms - things my logical, rational (and sober!) mind could not possibly explain away. These things escalated slowly but steadily from the subtle (at first) to more overt (later). I slowly became unable to dismiss them and became aware that someone was trying to get my attention and wake me up to other things in the world and the idea that what we all see in this world is not all there is - and boy, he succeeded. And I was very fortunate that the presence who was doing this was very benign.
Now I have a very healthy respect for such things and I know they aren't to be messed with or treated lightly. People can scoff all they like at the notions of such things and that's quite alright - they haven't been shown otherwise and perhaps don't need to be. I just know that, at that time in my life, I did.

But yes, certain objects can pick up resonances of the person that owned them or traumatic places they have been - and when you feel that weird unpleasantness (and not everyone can or does), just set it down immediately and rinse your hands under a running tap of cold water for a good 30 seconds or more. You don't want to keep that on you.

Yep, Stand_By and Big J, spot on!

I've been into that scary stuff for years until I realized that the only thing paranormal about any of the weird stuff that had ever happened to me was the extent to which I would bend logic and avoid the truth, just to reach the most outlandish explanation for it. And just as I was about to dismiss all of this ghoulies and ghosties and long leggedy beasties stuff as wishful thinking bs, made up by people who are either too afraid or too bored, things... that don't fit into any ghost or paranormal scenario I have heard of, happened to me that I can neither explain, nor have any need to - because I fully and completely accept it for what it is.

While I still don't believe in haunted objects such as jackets still being possessed by their previous owners who happen to be dead, there is no doubt in my mind that this world is a much larger place than we think it is.

thor

Call Me a Cab
"Haunted" isn't always a reference to some ghostly (visual) apparition or the sound of rattling chains, slamming doors or whispered voices in a house where you are the only occupant. I think it's also a place or thing or occurrence that makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck, gives you goosebumps and just dishes out a heavy dose of the Heebie-Jeebies.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Sorry for necroing stupid old thread, i just watched "paranormal caught on camera" season 2 episode 9
There it was.... a case of haunted thrifted leather jacket.:D:eek:

Sorry for necroing stupid old thread, i just watched "paranormal caught on camera" season 2 episode 9
There it was.... a case of haunted thrifted leather jacket.:D:eek:

Which one was it?

Recently I woke up a couple of times to something shaking my bed and it seemed like a pretty concrete paranormal phenomenon but the internet revealed it's just something called Hypnic jerks.
Coulda fooled me something indeed was shaking the bed, how real it feels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot