Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any stories of the unexplained?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone around here have stories of unexplained events/experiences that happened to them or others they know?

I have quite a few, but for now I'll just tell one:

The family story goes that my great-great grandfather was ill and died one evening. Less than an hour later his son (my great grandfather), several hundred miles away, was sitting in his parlor chair reading when he looked up and saw his father enter the room and look at him. My great grandfather said aloud "dad?", loud enough for his wife in the kitchen to hear. After that my great-great grandfather disappeared from sight. Great grandmother comes out of the kitchen and asks "who are you talking to?" The next day they found out great-great grandpa had died.
To her dying day great grandma swore this story is true. :eek:

Anyone have any others?

Elaina

One Too Many
I have a lot. How eerie do you want?

I do alot of work for a friend on EVPs, and I'm really picky what I'll pass along. Most is garbled, some are very clear.

I was over at a house doing these, and talking to my friend about coffee. Nothing was on this 90 minute tape, until I said "It must suck being dead. Wonder how they stay awake, cause this is boring."

10 seconds later there is (as plain as the two of us talking) "Not by listening to you two."

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Mine happened when I was a kid and I swear that this happened to this day!

I used to ly in bed at night with my door open and all the lights off. Every single night a strange man would shuffle back and forth in front of my door. He was dressed like a cowboy; had on a big brown chaps, a big brown cowboy hat, a brown vest. He also had long brown hair, and very long, brown beard, and for some reason he always wore sunglasses.

Every night -- limping back and forth in front of my door. I wasn't scared of him at all. He never came in my room, nor did he ever make any kind of eye contact with me. If it rained, he didn't appear. I remember once going to look for him.

I told the story to my mom and dad when I was a teenager and my dad laughed at me. To this day, he still says the man who built our house died in my bedroom. I asked my mom if she noticed anything freaky around that time and she told me that once she was sitting in the front room when all of a sudden the bathroom light came on.

True story.

Elaina

One Too Many
My son used to get up talking about playing with "Nash" in his dreams when he was around 3, riding rivers and seeing everything in technicolor, and like fireworks. Took about a week to figure out the elephant-man "Nash" was Ganesh. He'd not been exposed to anything in Hinduism at that time, but hey. I certainly can't explain it.

ETA: Now oddly, while I was typing that I recieved several weird things in my email concerning this subject. While I get things pretty frequently, it's strange I got it at the time I was thinking about it (and yes, it's a coincidence.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When my younger niece was very small, she and her folks lived in an old house here in town that had once been an undertaking parlor, and there was a sealed room in the cellar-- the door was bricked up, and nobody knew what was inside. My niece's room was directly above this part of the cellar.

As soon as they moved into this house, she began to have trouble sleeping -- she'd wake up crying in the middle of the night, she'd insist on sleeping with her parents, and finally she began claiming there was a "big Indian" in her room. She said his name was Tomtom, and he'd stand in the corner of the room with his arms folded, looking at her.

My brother-in-law began to get very spooked about this house -- and decided he really needed to see what was in that bricked-off part of the cellar, but my niece insisted he leave it alone because "Tomtom lives there."

They moved out of that house after living there for a year -- and as soon as they got settled in their new place, my niece began sleeping in her own bed with no trouble at all, and never mentioned Tomtom again.

Of course, I don't believe in such nonsense, but....

Rosie

One Too Many
When I was 15, my Uncle Paul died. He always called me "Old Lady" because he said I was wise for my age and I had an old soul.

So, one day, a cousin of mine and a friend of mine were sleeping over. My dad made us some burgers, franks and stuff on the grill. We went down and out to the backyard to get our food then went back upstairs to my bedroom to eat it because we were watching videos or some teenage movie or something.

I was the last one to go up the stairs and when I got to the middle, I heard my Uncle, clear as anything say "Hey Old Lady" I turned around because I thought maybe he was in the house, how? I wouldn't know since no one rang the bell and it was just me, my parents and the two girls in the house. When I saw no one was behind me, I ran up the stairs, nearly falling, dropping my plate and my drink. My cousin and friend, hearing me make all of this noise came out of my room to see what was going on. I began telling them then, I heard my mom downstairs scream, "NO NO NO" we went downstairs and she was on the phone. My Auntie just called to say that my Uncle had died in an accident.

When I was a much younger child, maybe 9 or so, my cousin and I were at her house, I was staying over. We were combing our Barbie doll's (the big ones) hair when the light in her bedroom went out and someone said "goodbye". I got kind of freaked out but my cousin assured me everything was okay and we asked her dad to change the light bulb. A few hours later her mom got a phone call saying that her best friend had died.

April 16, 2007 - I went to sleep and blew out a candle that I keep on my personal altar. This was about 11 or 12 at night. I fell asleep, woke up about two hours later and used the rest room, walking through the room where my altar and candle are kept (this part of my house, with the master bedroom is laid out railroad style, L shaped so from my bedroom, the master, I can see the next two rooms). About 5 in the morning, I wake up and I sit up in bed wondering why I am up and the back room, which I can see from my bed is glowing, I freak out thinking my house is on fire. I notice the glow is very small so I grab my dog and go investigate. The candle is on! Full flame! Bright as can be! This WEIRDS me out. My dog is in my arms barking, barking, barking, I put him down and literally just stare at the candle. I blow it out, run it under water then go back to bed where I call my cousin to tell her what just happened. Sleepily, she answers, "Isn't today your dad's birthday?" I am a bit shocked because, Ah yes, it is! My Daddy died on June 14, 2002. But his birthday is indeed April 16th.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
The woman of my dreams?

A while ago,...2 weeks back maybe, I had this dream. In my dream I met a beautiful woman in a cafe or bar or something. It was not clear. The only thing that stands out in my mind about her clearly, is the fact that she is wearing green scrubs.(And well, she is a real doll! ;) ) I thought it was someone I know, just a friend, who had just recently started a job in a hospital, and who also just recently got married. So I forgot about it and put it down as, "just a dream".
A good friend of mine who lives in a small town nearby was supposed to move to a different area to be closer to his job. He was scheduled to move on Friday morning, but the mover got sick and postponed his move. He calls me Friday evening to meet at a local seafood restaurant/ bar that was his favorite place in town. One last night on the town. So I go there, and there is this really pretty gal sitting a few stools away from us that he was chatting with for a while, dressed in green scrubs. She ends up moving over to sit with us. We hit it off pretty well she and I,...;)
I got her number before she left, and she got my card.
It wasn't until later on after she had left, that I remembered my dream about meeting a very attractive gal in green scrubs! I think something very quantum is going on here,... :D
I have a good feeling about this.

panamag8or

Practically Family
When I was working overnights for Sam's Club, I saw a shadowy figure dart across an aisle one night, but shrugged it off as late night mind tricks, and never mentioned it to anyone.

About two weeks later, we were talking to some brand new employees during break, and some of the older employees started talking about the ghost in hardlines, which was the exact section I saw the shadow in. They said things would fly off shelves and such, and others had seen the exact thing I did.

Apparently, an elderly gentleman had died there, and we would joke that he was trying to finish his shopping from the great beyond.

I saw the shadow a couple more times after that, but always just a flash from the corner of my eye.

panamag8or

Practically Family
Maj.Nick Danger said:
A while ago,...2 weeks back maybe, I had this dream. In my dream I met a beautiful woman in a cafe or bar or something. It was not clear. The only thing that stands out in my mind about her clearly, is the fact that she is wearing green scrubs.(And well, she is a real doll! ;) ) I thought it was someone I know, just a friend, who had just recently started a job in a hospital, and who also just recently got married. So I forgot about it and put it down as, "just a dream".
A good friend of mine who lives in a small town nearby was supposed to move to a different area to be closer to his job. He was scheduled to move on Friday morning, but the mover got sick and postponed his move. He calls me Friday evening to meet at a local seafood restaurant/ bar that was his favorite place in town. One last night on the town. So I go there, and there is this really pretty gal sitting a few stools away from us that he was chatting with for a while, dressed in green scrubs. She ends up moving over to sit with us. We hit it off pretty well she and I,...;)
I got her number before she left, and she got my card.
It wasn't until later on after she had left, that I remembered my dream about meeting a very attractive gal in green scrubs! I think something very quantum is going on here,... :D
I have a good feeling about this.

Now, there is a story for your grandkids!lol

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
I have made an effort over the years not to tell too many people about this (I suppose I've told about 10 in the last 22 years), as I am of a scientific mind, and have avoided embellishing these details for the sake of truth.

Ghosts? I've no trouble with ghosts, and believe myself to have encountered a few. This event, however, I'm still having a little trouble with.

This is going to read like a hoaky nonsense story, but I saw it, as it is described.

I was a boy scout at 14 at a camporee in Palo Pinto County, Texas. It was a scout reservation out there, and used to be campgrounds for the Natives. There were the usual campfire stories to scare the scouts in order to keep them awake at night wondering what that rustling out there was.

I and 3 other scouts went out one day in search of any monsters in these legends, any would do. We did not really truly expect to find anything, we were just having fun.

We were moving along a trail toward "Hugo's Crack", a local mountain top with a huge stone crevice, where one of the legends was said to have taken place, when I looked down and noticed something very strange.

Intersecting the beaten trail were a series of huge impressions in the now-dried mud from a recent rain. There was central trail of very large human-like footprints, and on either side of those a series of definite fist prints. Both trails of impressions showed slippage in the mud according to the center of gravity of whatever had them, and in accordance to the incline along which it had moved. The details caught in the clay mud were down to the finest prints and subtle wrinkling of skin. The toes and knuckles showed variations in angle of an utterly organic character from one impression to the next.

All of these details we studied objectively before notifying anyone. These aren't details I've imagined since then.

We went to a Scout master, who didn't believe us, but then when he saw what it was he called in the park rangers. They roped the place off and began taking data, and wouldn't let us back in the area. All they would tell us was that the footprints were 13 inches long.

What was it? Not sure, and I'd not be at any liberty to guess.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Here are a couple more:

When my sister was young, like 2 or 3 she was on our swingset talking to someone. But no one was there. When my mom asked who she was talking to my sister answered "the man with wings". Mom asked if he was an imaginery friend and sis answered "no". That was the only time something like this ever happened.

------------------------------------------

My family and I were down in New Mexico for several summers working at a mission. We worked with the Navajo indians. Traditional Navajo religion deals a lot with spirits, demons, 'skin walkers', spooky stuff like that.
Well, anyways, the head pastor down there is an older gentleman. He tells us a story (we have to drag it out of him) about one night (when he was a young man with a head full of dark brown hair) when he and several other people were exercising a Navajo woman who was supposedly demon-possessed. Eventually he gets the demon to leave her, and it does so violently. At that moment he said he felt as if he was literally face to face with satan or one of his demons. He felt a presence so evil that he could do nothing, he could not move. Eventually it passed.
Well, the next morning his hair had turned completely white, and I mean white. He will not talk about this at night and rarely does during the day. Makes you wonder what is really out there...

I have an interesting photo I'll post in a little bit. It's probably camera tricks, but it's still interesting.
Billy

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Ok, I forgot this one:

When my mom was young her parents told her and her brother to run upstairs and get something from the parents' room. They turned the hallway light on and opened the door to the room. They both saw something reflected in the mirror that was across the room. In the mirror they saw the reflection of a monkey, a demented looking monkey sitting on the dresser...that was directly to their left. When they saw it (the funny thing is that both of them saw it at the same time, so it wasn't a figment of the imagination) they slammed the door and ran downstairs. They got their parents and took them into the room where they saw nothing, the monkey had disappeared. They were never able to recreate the situation again. Both my mom and my uncle talk about it, both remember it as if it was yesterday.

SaraBell

Familiar Face
Once when I was camping with my family and some friends, one of my friends and I decided to drive out to a different lake than the one we were staying at to check it out. We drove about half an hour along a very dusty and bumpy dirt road until we came around a turn, and up the hill I noticed the corner of a white fence hidden behind a bunch of trees. We parked the car and walked up and discovered that it was an old grave. We began to look at the headstones and on one of them were my initials "STB" and nothing else. Suddenly a deer walked out of the trees about 5 feet away and just stood there staring at us...by then it was getting pretty dark and my friend was really scared and really wanted to leave. After a little more looking around we started to drive off. Then as we were driving down the road a tree fell right in front of our car...nearly on top of us. It was very creepy, but I still like to go back there whenever I go camping...I just have to make sure it's when I have plenty of daylight left in the day!

52Styleline

A-List Customer
This happened several weeks after my Mother died. A friend had agreed to purchase my mother's freezer and we went to the house to pick it up.

In the living room, were two tub chairs. These were 50’s vintage and swiveled 360 degrees. Mom liked to sit in one of these because she could look out of the front window and then swivel to look out into her back yard through the dining room window.

No one had been in the house for days when we arrived. I opened the front door and we stepped into the living room. The chair nearest us was turned facing the dining room window, and as we stood in the entry, the chair swiveled around and stopped, facing directly at us. I had seen my Mother make that move hundreds of times since that was her favorite chair. Also, in the years I lived in that house, that chair had never moved on its own.

My friend turned a bit pale and said “I didn’t need to see that!”

SaraBell

Familiar Face
Oh, also, has anybody seen that movie "The labyrinth"? When I was about 5 years old I had the same dream 2 times where I was walking through some woods until I come to a clearing with a dwarf sitting on a log. I sit and talk with him for a while. Then when I go to leave I walk up to a fence that is in my way and begin to climb over it. When I get to the top a monster sees me and runs up the side of the fence at me...that is always where I wake up. When I went to go see "the labyrinth" I was shocked when it got to the scene with "the pale man" who eats children...it is the exact monster from my dreams!

pale-man.jpg

pigeon toe

One Too Many
thunderw21 said:
Ok, I forgot this one:

When my mom was young her parents told her and her brother to run upstairs and get something from the parents' room. They turned the hallway light on and opened the door to the room. They both saw something reflected in the mirror that was across the room. In the mirror they saw the reflection of a monkey, a demented looking monkey sitting on the dresser...that was directly to their left. When they saw it (the funny thing is that both of them saw it at the same time, so it wasn't a figment of the imagination) they slammed the door and ran downstairs. They got their parents and took them into the room where they saw nothing, the monkey had disappeared. They were never able to recreate the situation again. Both my mom and my uncle talk about it, both remember it as if it was yesterday.

Yikes! Maybe the demented monkey was the ghost of a mistreated pet monkey? My grandma's sister's boyfriend shipped her a pet monkey while he was overseas in the 30's/40's. Don't quite remember where the monkey came from, or how it actually survived the journey, but my grandma noted that it was kept in a birdcage and always looked quite angry.

So maybe your monkey ghost had the same experience! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn