Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any stories of the unexplained?

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
herringbonekid said:
a large human ?

13 inch long feet are well within human size limits.

This is more likely than any other explanation I could imagine. I very much doubt it was an escaped gorilla, because the feet were human like. I discount the sasquach until or unless someone ever produces a real specimen. If this was a human, he or she was steadying him/herself with fists, which would suggest pretty long arms and slumped stance. Possibly a wild human. I wouldn't be at all surprised as big as some of the wild areas of central and west Texas are.

Elaina

One Too Many
Here's a more personal one.

When I had first learned to drive (I was 20) I got a car. And I worked all the time. Now I was working 18 hours or so a day in Ft. Worth and driving to Waxahachie (about an hour and 15 minutes one way.) One night I was way too tired,and I drove home anyway. I got to 287, and fell asleep. I knew I was, I knew it was bad, but darnit I was so tired.

So I crossed the line and was heading head on to a semi. My grandfather, who's been dead since 1955, appeared in my dream and said "Elaina, you've got to wake up." Not nice, or anything, but loud and mean. It woke me up, I jerked my car and was fine in the end.

When I had my son, my great grandma (I talk about, whom I also don't remember meeting) showed up in the bathroom I was in and said "Child, you need to go home. The baby will be here at a quarter after 7, and you need to find Nancy (my mom)." I was out and doing errands, my son wasn't due for 9 more weeks at that point.

I started hard labor at that point. My son was born at 7:19. She appeared after the birth and sat with me while my mom went home and my ex husband went to get my dog from the groomers because I didn't have a doctor show up until 8:45, and I lost so much blood by that point, I nearly died.

Strange, but these are at least personal.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Lee Lynch said:
This is more likely than any other explanation I could imagine. I very much doubt it was an escaped gorilla, because the feet were human like. I discount the sasquach until or unless someone ever produces a real specimen. If this was a human, he or she was steadying him/herself with fists, which would suggest pretty long arms and slumped stance. Possibly a wild human. I wouldn't be at all surprised as big as some of the wild areas of central and west Texas are.

FYI Lee, there have been a lot of feral children documented in Texas over the decades. That might be a possibility as well. I think this site has a few cases:
http://www.feralchildren.com/en/index.php

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
They're After Me

Neither of these involve spirits. They are normal, but I can't explain their reasons.

One night around 8pm, I decided to take a walk around my neighborhood. I had been inside all day working on my computer, and never saw the light of day. I needed fresh air. I began the walk, just a short one. My neighborhood is pretty dark. Not many street lights. As I was walking down one particular street, I heard a car driving down behind me. I look over, and stand to the side against a parallel parked car. The car was speeding down quickly, and the window was open.

Suddenly as the car sped by, I hear something fly out of the window. I liiterally thought the passenger had a gun and was going to fire! Instead it was some sort of white goo, maybe eggs. They through it at me as they passed. But the eggs missed me! Completely missed me. They hit the car I was standing by instead. What was strange was when I looked behind me to see what was thrown, they had landed right behind me, on the car, as if they flew right through me. I started laughing. I said outloud, "they missed me! lol they actually missed me!". I laughed my way back home.

A month later, I was walking back home from seeing a movie. Late night it was. As I was walking, I hear a car speeding up. Again I had a feeling of suspicion, and thought they were going to fire a gun at me. It happened so fast but I almost expected it. What these people threw weren't eggs. Whatever it was made a loud BANG! as it hit the lightpost behind me. Again, it missed. I'm waiting to see if this will happen again a third time. Next time I'm writing down the license plate number.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
The only weird thing that has happened to me is nothing to do with ghosts or anything (unfortunately - I would love to see a ghost!). My mother is a very deeply spiritual person and meditates every day to put a sort of energy field around the family, ourselves, our houses etc. I've seen visible evidence of its effects before when I lived at home, this female fox who was extremely timid, used to come up to the house, within this alleged "field" and just sit peacefully on the grass lawn, as if she was absorbing the energy. She'd do this about once a week, like clockwork. She'd usually get seen off by our tiny Siamese though. lol

But my weird thing happened last year, I was out with my friend and her dog, we were throwing sticks for him. He's extremely muscular and he'd found this huuuuge stick, like a tree branch. It was massively heavy. He'd brought it back and started chewing it. Then he leapt up and swung his head round. The end of the stick was coming straight towards my eye, and my friend screamed because it bounced off my eye. Except that it didn't! I felt the wind from it and I swear it brushed my eyelid, but it didn't hit. It was so weird. I'm sure it could have been that the dog happened to change direction somehow at the crucial moment, but I like to think it was my mum's merkaba field protecting me! :p

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
Hm. Everyone's personal experiences are so fascinating. Fortunately, I have a few to contribute to this thread.

A few years ago, I was "slapped" by an unknown force. It was around 1 PM in the afternoon and I was home alone in my bedroom. The door to my bedroom was closed, as was the window. It tried to slap me on my forearm. I felt it go through my forearm and then there was a loud "bang", followed by an electrical noise. A few seconds later, the the window blinds on my window began to move from right to left; as if someone stuck their hand into the blinds and pushed them violently. I simply shrugged off the event and continued going about my business. After that, it never happened again.

On December 2004, my Grandma passed away. I was in class, procrastinating as usual, when I heard my grandma say "Study, mijo" in Spanish. When I got home, I learned that she passed away at a hospital in San Antonio while I was at school. After attending her burial, we decided to stay at her house for the night. As we were getting ready for bed, the entire house was filled with the scent of her favorite perfume. The temperature dropped as well.

In 2002, I was working in the parking lot of a local grocery store. I was 16 at the time. Anyway, I was next to a line of shopping carts when a car began to speed toward the exit behind me. The woman, while chatting away on her cell phone, did not notice me. Therefore, she did not hear yelling at her to stop. When I noticed that there was not going to be enough room or time for me to get out, I hugged the line of carts and pressed my body flat up against the carts. Her car barely grazed me but the side view mirror of the passenger door crashed into my right hand's pinky finger. The mirror shattered against my finger and it completely tore off the car's door. My finger or any other part of my body was not damaged in the slightest bit.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
The Big Bird Miracle

(This story is the only thing I have ever experienced that I can't really explain. It is not supernatural or anything, everything can be explained as pure, happy coincidence. But still.....)

My big brother, (1,5 years older than me), was very obsessed with birds when he was about 4 years old. He had studied the family's big, photo illustrated book of Norwegian birds hundreds of times, and knew the names of most of the birds in the book. And, to his joy, he had also been able to see many of the more common birds in real life, when our parents took us to the parks an around in Oslo, where we lived in the middle of the city.

But he had never seen a real, living pheasant. He loved pheasants, and was obsessed with seeing a real one. My parents explained that, although there are some pheasants in Norway, there are none living in the middle of Oslo, so he should not get his hopes up. But my brother just answered "I want to see a pheasant. It shall come here and sit on that branch in the tree outside our kitchen window."

One day some months later, when we were eating breakfast, my brother looked out of the window and said, with no surprise: "It's a pheasant sitting there." He was not very agitated at all, just stating a fact. My parents did not believe him, because it was to unlikely, when they looked out, they saw a beautiful pheasant sitting at the right branch in right tree outside our window, just as my brother had wished.

I remember this bird very well, it came back many times to sit in our tree, sometimes it brought it's pheasant friends and the whole tree was filled with pheasants. But after a couple of years, it stopped coming and we read in the newspaper that a pheasant had been hit and killed by the streetcar not far from where we lived. This was strange, said the newspaper, because pheasants are not known to live in Oslo city!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Good stories thus far, a good variety.

Here's the picture I mentioned earlier. I took this 2 years ago during a camping trip.

Anyone here a camera expert? I took this at night with a digital camera. I believe it is just a camera trick, lighting or some such thing, but it's just strange how the red 'mist' looks like a human with face and all. Also note what looks like a partial face on the left. Interesting nonetheless.
All I did was edit out the girl's faces and change the brightness/contrast a little.

Keri_AshleyCREEPYbrightnesscontrast.jpg

creepyedited21.jpg

LadyStardust

Practically Family
:eek: No camera expert here, but those are some darn creepy photos thunderw21! I'm reminded of wraiths from Lotr.:(

I love reading all of your accounts and experiences, I find them absolutely fascinating, even if I'm quite possibly the most easily frightened person on the PLANET. lol I've never had any encounters of my own, and am not eager to, but I've always had "feelings" if you will, about places. I'll have never been inside certain homes, but whenever I pass by I get a distinct sense of tension and dread. And the thing is most of the homes/locations I've experienced this with don't even have a spooky appearance or anything. They appear completely normal and unobtrusive, which makes it even weirder. [huh]

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
The summer after my Grandfather died my family went to visit my Grandmother. My sister and I got to stay in the basement bedroom. We loved it because we each got a double bed.

The house was set up so that the kitchen was over the unfinished basement laundry room, concrete hall and bathroom. This meant that if you were in the basement that you could hear any activity in the kitchen above.

One night when we had all gone to bed, I heard someone in the kitchen. At first it gave me the creeps because it was the very distinct sound of my Grandfather's cowboy boots, but I assumed that it was my Father who had just been given my Grandfather's boots. I didn't bother to investigate because I had done that earlier in the week, afraid that there were burglars upstairs, and instead had found my Grandmother sneaking a bowl of ice cream at 3 AM.

I went back to sleep.

I woke up a little later and stretched out my legs to the end of the bed. I bumped something. Assuming that it was my Springer Spaniel, who wasn't allowed on the beds, I gave the lump a shove. It didn't move, and more surprising there wasn't the tell tale jingle of dog tags that there would have been if it had been the dog. I reached out my foot to feel the lump. It was very obviously a person's behind sitting on the end of the bed. It was a broad, but solid rear end there. I was too scared to look. I just curled up my legs and stared at the dim glow of the clock on the table with my heart pounding until I finally fell asleep again.

In the morning light, I wasn't so sure what I had experienced. So, when I went up to breakfast, I questioned everyone thoroughly as to if anyone had been up during the night or had come downstairs to check on us. Nobody had. I never did explain to my family why I asked those questions. I was afraid they would think I'd lost my mind, or worse, made it up. I've come to believe that it was my Grandfather saying good-bye. It scared the devil out of me at the time, but now it is kinda comforting.

catsmeow

One of the Regulars
Elaina said:
I have a lot. How eerie do you want?

I do alot of work for a friend on EVPs, and I'm really picky what I'll pass along. Most is garbled, some are very clear.

I was over at a house doing these, and talking to my friend about coffee. Nothing was on this 90 minute tape, until I said "It must suck being dead. Wonder how they stay awake, cause this is boring."

10 seconds later there is (as plain as the two of us talking) "Not by listening to you two."
I love that story. That's amazing. It's interesting to think the "other side" has a bit of a sense of humour, even though you would have been freaking out!!

A very good friend of mine has had weird ghost stories. When he was a little boy, he and his family lived in an old tutor style house, and the basement was apparently haunted. His older brother used to live down there and has mentioned that something used to stop him from going down there.

There was another time he said when he was younger, a woman (older I think) used to stand at the end of his bed and then ask him to follow her. When he would start to follow her she just disappeared. Something like that. Strange.

Rosie

One Too Many
As per Joie DeVive's story, I have smaller cousins, under the age of 10, who claim to have seen my Grandfather, and can describe him very well who died when I was 15, I'm now 29.

When I was a little girl, I don't remember this though, my Mom says I would tell her all of the time there was a White, red head man in the bathroom. She says originally, it scared her as she thought maybe someone had gotten into the house since my Dad was at work and my brother at school. Eventually, she just took my word for it. One day, she was talking to the nest door neighbor as they were both putting their clothes on the line and the neighbor told her about the people who lived in our house before my parents bought it. A brother and sister, both elderly and white and the man "had the brightest red hair" :eek:

I have LOTS of these stories.

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
beaucaillou said:
FYI Lee, there have been a lot of feral children documented in Texas over the decades. That might be a possibility as well. I think this site has a few cases:
http://www.feralchildren.com/en/index.php

Thanks, Beaucaillou! Although the site does say that most stories of feral children are doubtful, I have to say that this is the most possible explanation, and therefore the Occam's Razor has it.

(But good God, if that's a feral child, I wonder what the parents are like!!!!!:D )

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
happyfilmluvguy said:
Neither of these involve spirits. They are normal, but I can't explain their reasons.

One night around 8pm, I decided to take a walk around my neighborhood. I had been inside all day working on my computer, and never saw the light of day. I needed fresh air. I began the walk, just a short one. My neighborhood is pretty dark. Not many street lights. As I was walking down one particular street, I heard a car driving down behind me. I look over, and stand to the side against a parallel parked car. The car was speeding down quickly, and the window was open.

Suddenly as the car sped by, I hear something fly out of the window. I liiterally thought the passenger had a gun and was going to fire! Instead it was some sort of white goo, maybe eggs. They through it at me as they passed. But the eggs missed me! Completely missed me. They hit the car I was standing by instead. What was strange was when I looked behind me to see what was thrown, they had landed right behind me, on the car, as if they flew right through me. I started laughing. I said outloud, "they missed me! lol they actually missed me!". I laughed my way back home.

A month later, I was walking back home from seeing a movie. Late night it was. As I was walking, I hear a car speeding up. Again I had a feeling of suspicion, and thought they were going to fire a gun at me. It happened so fast but I almost expected it. What these people threw weren't eggs. Whatever it was made a loud BANG! as it hit the lightpost behind me. Again, it missed. I'm waiting to see if this will happen again a third time. Next time I'm writing down the license plate number.

Or maybe third time's the charm - in other words, look out. Two near misses.

Mike in Seattle

About five days before she died, Mom developed pneumonia and had to be moved from the skilled nursing building of the local medical center to the ER. I sat up with her all night talking while they ran tests, gave her oxygen & so forth until they moved her to a room around 8 in the morning. When she was finally settled and dozed off, I decided to head home. Walking out the main entrance to the hospital, sitting on a bench, were an elderly couple who were the spitting image of my grandparents who had been dead 30+ years. And they were an odd looking pair, much like Marjorie Main & Percy Kilbride (Ma & Paw Kettle) except Grampa dressed better. I just remember walking through the pretty empty hospital, out through the sliding doors, looking at the ground and seeing the lady's big clunky black shoes, thinking, "Man, I haven't seen Gramma shoes like that in forever!" and glancing up at the couple. She said, "You take care!" and he said, "Drive careful!" and I smiled as I walked past. When it hit me how much they looked like my grandparents, I'd walked on 50' or so. I was going to walk back and say something, then it hit me visiting hours at the hospital didn't start for 90 minutes or so, and when I turned back, they were gone.

The morning she died, we came home from the hospital & my partner headed back to bed (the call from the hospital came in at 6:55 saying to come a-running and she was gone before we got there - and I knew that before we pulled out of the driveway). Since it was fairly early, and a Sunday morning to boot, I sent a few emails to friends, waiting till 9 to start calling relatives. So to kill a little time and keep myself busy, I started working on a letter with a few pictures to send to Mom's friends & co-workers & so forth. I was sitting there thinking, "Man, what should I use for the main picture? Something recent or something from years ago when she was always mistaken for Yvonne DiCarlo?" Suddenly there's a big crash in her room. I walked in - the picture she'd had done when she retired had fallen off the wall where it had hung for a dozen years, and I then remembered she had said that was always her favorite photo of herself.

I scanned that and hung it back where it belonged. About that time, there was a clunk in the laundry room. I got to investigate - A tin that a Lionel Train watch I'd gotten her years ago that I kept little screws & nails & tacks & picture hangers & such in had fallen off the shelf over the dryer. There's another posted here at FL about Mom always wanting a train as a child & I only heard the story when I was in my early 30's & bought her a train set for Christmas that year. I got her the watch while she was in the hospital after a major stroke a year later.

And the whole time, I'm writing those off as weird coincidences. An hour or so later, sitting at the desk, I had just hung up after talking to my cousin Jan. What happened then freaked me out so much, I knocked the phone off the desk and ran out of the room with my partner right behind me. His response was "OK...Grace knew we'd be hard sells. That's just too freaky for any other explanation."

The cousin I was talking to right before that had said she'd gone to church as usual that morning and "Three Coins in the Fountain" had played on the radio as she was backing down the driveway. It was on again when she left church, and again as she was coming home from lunch and thought, "How weird. You never hear that song anymore! Aunt Gracie & my favorite movie theme playing three times in a couple hours?" and had been thinking all morning she needed to give me a call to check up on Mom. And the phone rung just as she walked into her house with my giving her the news.

And I think I posted about my grandmother's rocking chair on another post ages ago. I'll have to see if I can find that. Freaky, but funny.

Dr Doran

My father in law was studying at a seminary in Poland somewhere during the late 1960s or early 1970s, I don't know which. He was ascending a staircase after lunch and heard a loud crash. He thought it was a bomb. (Maybe the USA was going to free Poland from the Soviet occupiers and this was the first shot. Not.) He got all the way upstairs and asked his seminary brothers what that sound had been. None of them had heard anything. He got a telegram perhaps an hour later saying that his father had died one hour ago!

Another one from Poland. I only heard this one today for the first time. My mother in law's friend from childhood (to whom she had recently spoken and heard this story) married a man who became a huge drunk. He would sit in this one small, weird closet/storage room in their apartment and open bottle after bottle of cheap Moldovan wine. Eventually he died of cancer. However, his wife kept hearing noises from that room, the sound of bottles opening and being gurgled from and then being put on the floor. It never stopped. It would go on all night -- just as her husband used to drink all night. She would check and there would be nothing in the room at all. Finally she went to his grave and started screaming at it, telling him to leave her alone and go away because he had been a terrible husband and ruined her life. It was probably a very emotional scene. After that she went home and the noises stopped altogether.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
One thing I always thought was strange happened shortly after my Nana died ten years ago.

I was very close to my Nana as my Grandad died before I was born and my other grandparents lived the other side of the world.

One night I 'dreamed' (but it seemed it was not a dream) that I was having a real chat with my Nana, laughing and joking about this and that, nothing particular. We were somewhere familiar but I can't remember now where we were. After a while it dawned on me and I said 'But Nana, how can I be talking to you now, you died recently?' she laughed the way she always did and said 'I have my ways. I can come and see you if I want to.'

I immediately opened my eyes and it was pitch black in the middle of the night and I was wide awake. I never wake up in the night. I am a really heavy sleeper. This was in my childhood bedroom where my Nana always slept when she came to stay with us. I felt comforted by what had happened.

People have said 'Wishful thinking!' but I have never had any dream like it before or since no matter how much I've been missing her. Besides, I know whilst dreaming that I am dreaming as my dreams are very strange and make no sense to me whilst I am having them. My best friend who 'sees' things but shuns it as she is scared of what might happen immediately said 'Your Nana came to say goodbye'.

Another interesting thing happened with the same friend. We were staying in her grandparents beach house with her sister. We were all sleeping in the same room. Her sister had gone to sleep and we were just talking very quietly in the dark. After a while we were both lying there and I thought she had gone to sleep. I happened to glance across the room to look towards my friend. It was very dark in this room, the curtains were shut and no street lights were shining in, no lights were on in the house, yet I saw a darkly luminous mass floating in a sort of cloud over her chest. I looked at it for several seconds as it swirled over her and it had an orangey - green hue about it.

I turned my head away and shut my eyes, trying not to think about it. Then I heard her say very quietly 'There's something over me, isn't there.' I hesitated whether to say anything but just said 'Yes'. She said 'I knew it was there. I don't like it.' She often has these experiences which she finds frightening and tries to block it out. I said 'Let's not worry about it. Say a prayer' and after that it was gone and the atmosphere was completely different. We didn't have anything else happen after that the rest of the stay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn