Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any writers?

MelissaAnne

One of the Regulars
Hi all -

Just wondering if any of you write fiction set during the Golden Era. I'm currently working on a WWII fiction novel and have another WWII thriller series in the works.

Anyone else?

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
I'm currently working on a modern-day, and contracted for another one after that. Once those are out of the way, I've got a lovely little yarn set in the thirties called Talons of the Sphinx that needs to be dealt with.

Whether it'll sell, of course, is another matter...

Story

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
Mine is set in an immigrant community in Philadelphia during Prohibition.

Why Philly?

And to answer your question, Melissa - yes. Set in 1938 and based somewhat on time I spent in the Caribbean. Spies, flying boats, skullduggery, etc.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
MK said:
Anyone making a living as a writer?

(raises hand)

When I'm not working at the movie theatre, I do freelance writing -- mostly corporate PR stuff (which might fall under the category of "fiction," but hey, it's a living), but I also do a lot of non-fiction writing on Golden Era subjects. Last year I published a book, a biography of the radio team "Amos and Andy," and have had quite a few articles in radio-oriented magazines.

Back in my school days, I wrote dozens of short stories set during the Depression era -- mostly just for fun, and most of them not very good. But it was a way of getting my thoughts on paper and building my writing skills, so it was a worthwhile exercise. Now I wish I'd kept them -- they'd be fun to look at again...

MelissaAnne

One of the Regulars
I'm a copywriter for a book publishing company, so I guess you could say that I do make my living from it. But I hope to make my living from my novels someday - with the understanding that I'll probably have to keep my full-time job. :rolleyes:

Tin Pan Sally

Yes, and I'm even published. I'm just writing book reviews for the Joe Bob Report right now. I have done poetry (yuck), gig and movie reviews (free shows yippee), song lyrics, short stories, and such. I've started a couple novels ... but then who hasn't?

AeroDillo

Familiar Face
Hey, I'm only fourteen months late, but....

I have one about Texas during Prohibition and the Depression. Still mostly in the planning stages, though. lol

Cobden

Practically Family
I often write little short stories for my own amusement; they usually just sit on my hard drive until the computer dies (I don't back them up). I don't plan to have them published (most I don't even shew people); I just do it for fun. Although once I made £13 writing other peoples creative writing english coursework for them at school - they all got A*!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner