Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody own a Schott Black Stallion? Thoughts on it?

There's been some talk on Schott forum about how every HH jacket is actually a front quarter horsehide, which is why Schott doesn't feel the need to specifically point this out.

I'm really happy you're enjoying these awesome jackets so much. 618 is a tremendous piece of outerwear and I still claim it's as good as any premium jacket and right up there on the top, and it makes a perfect companion to the Buco/Stallion. With these two, you really don't need another MC jacket like ever again. Simply because you can't top this. :D

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
sometime a jacket maker would glue a kind of fabric ( like used to make a shirt collar, or visor cap) to add or to retain some form on the body panels, I saw this applied on my custom jacket (made by local tailor) along the main zipper, and around the bottom even though my hide was very thick (cow ... not horse) so perhaps that was also present in your more rigid jacket? with time this fabric will also lose its stiffness, but it tends to develop rather unnatural wear pattern when it still have some of its rigidness in places.

Last edited:

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
That's a good point monitor, and could very well be the reason why I don't see it noted specifically on the product description. I did see on LegendaryUSA that it was listed as Front Quarter so perhaps they both are (Stallion and 618).

Definitely is nice to own both the traditional style and the Buco replica style. Different looks and suited for different temperatures for sure. Can't be riding around like Johnny Strabler when it's 30 degrees out lol.

With regard to the specific leather though, here's a close up of the back panel of the stallion to show the coarse grain I'm talking about. I absolutely love it. My 618HH has a similar grain on some of the panels, but a much smoother grain on others. I imagine it's due to the leather coming from different animals. Not a problem though, I like the authenticity of it and the difference between the grains. The second link is the same back panel area but on the 618HH

http://imgur.com/9tkvVSg

http://imgur.com/xBGWq5p

Last edited:

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
On another note, I'd really like to add a snap to the inside of the rear of the jacket (identical to those on the outside which hold the belt) which would allow me to fasten the back of the jacket around my belt.

Does anyone have any ideas for the best way to go about doing this? Could I just bring it to a leather shop and ask them to do this? It doesn't need to be horsehide leather as nobody will see it anyways.

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
Hey guys, been gone for a while and I hate to revive a dead post but I did promise to keep you guys posted on how this jacket breaks in. It's been in my closet for a while during the summer but I just broke it out again last week and figured I'd snap a pic as I think I'd find a unicorn easier than any broken in pics of a Schott Black Stallion

e8I0031.png

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice. Wish they still produce this model for Legendary then I might not have to spend so much more.

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
Yea it does suck that they discontinued it, especially since Legendary seems to have replaced it with an order of 613HH's. If you're size 42, 44 or 46 you can still snag a Stallion on sale for around $550 on sale.

I also plan to have snaps added for my fur collar attachment, hoping a local leather shop could do it but I'm not certain. It also would be the 618M collar not the limited edition type collar they did for this jacket a few years back. I wasn't a big fan of where they placed the snaps on the lapels, much prefer the traditional 118/618 snap style.

Blackadder

My size has been sold out everywhere way way back. I tried different dealers but none have my size back in 2012-13.

Looks so damn cool and the leather's just so beautiful! Could pass for a vintage piece just like that. Shame there's so little appreciation for Legendary/Schott HH.

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
It does seem odd that this jacket gets little to no love, for the price (I paid $520) I can't see anything that comes close with regard to value.

Only annoying thing about the jacket is figuring out what to do with my left hand when I'm walking around lol

Also worth nothing that despite how it looks, the jacket barely feels broken in yet. It's still quite still in many areas, I think it will truly start to shine by the end of the fall/winter riding season where it sees most of it's wear. It's basically been sitting in my closet for the past few months. I'll continue to update this thread with pics if desired, if not just let me know and I'll let the thread RIP haha.

Last edited:

Blackadder

The leather is amazing after broken in. I own a Schott 1928H that still needs breaking in. I can see people unsure about the shinny new leather that seems to have no grain at first. Your jacket will surely help convince people that Schott's HH are not plastic like after breaking in. But then these are pretty much sold out.
There is however also the issue regarding the generous cut adopted by Schott for this jacket as opposed to the slim cut used on the 1928H. From what I gathered the Black Stallion is oversized especially around the waist.
IMO, it is a great jacket and I especially like the belt which some people may think filmsy. I on the other hand prefer this as the belt will simply hang on the side when one unzip. The Lost Worlds and the RM Buco belts are too thick and they stick out in front of you when jackets are unzipped. I had to take it off if I want to wear my jacket unzipped but if I do that, I have to find a bag to place it in. I ended up leaving my belt at home all the time.

Last edited:

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
The leather is amazing after broken in. I own a Schott 1928H that still needs breaking in. I can see people unsure about the shinny new leather that seems to have no grain at first. Your jacket will surely help convince people that Schott's HH are not plastic like after breaking in. But then these are pretty much sold out.
There is however also the issue regarding the generous cut adopted by Schott for this jacket as opposed to the slim cut used on the 1928H. From what I gathered the Black Stallion is oversized especially around the waist.
IMO, it is a great jacket and I especially like the belt which some people may think filmsy. I on the other hand prefer this as the belt will simply hang on the side when one unzip. The Lost Worlds and the RM Buco belts are too thick and they stick out in front of you when jackets are unzipped. I had to take it off if I want to wear my jacket unzipped but if I do that, I have to find a bag to place it in. I ended up leaving my belt at home all the time.

I once owned a 1928 model for a brief time, though it was only acquired in a trade with the intention of being sold off. I found that jacket to be cut about as generously as the Stallion, but with shorter length and arms. Can't speak for the horsehide version though, which could have been cut very differently.

The Stallion is certainly a bit generous around the waist, though mostly rectified by the belt. On the center hole it snugs nicely without billowing or bulging. I find it very comfortable when worn over layers, in fact I wore it this morning on my ride into work over a thick cardigan and was not hindered by it being too snug. I think it all depends on what the jacket is to be used for. If I didn't ride a motorcycle, I'd probably be wearing a Schott 618HH. More fashionable fit, snugger in all areas and a bit more suited for a night out on the town. I don't often wear my Stallion for that type of thing. But when the weather dips below 50, I wouldn't go anywhere on the bike without the Stallion, tons of pockets and a fuller cut that allows for storage without bulging outlines of the items I've placed in it. It looks right at home on the bike. As it breaks in more though, I may wear it off the bike more frequently, as mentioned above Schott HH does tend to look plastic-like at first which may have been why I'd be saving it for riding only. But the more I wear it, and the more it breaks in...the more I want to wear it all the time.

As for the belt, I agree completely. Certainly a bit "flimsy" feeling, but it works perfectly for the jacket and drapes well when not fastened. Better even than my 613's did. I also love the fact that it's fully removable, making it a bit more versatile. The retro snap fasteners in the back are such a great look. If you have an opportunity to pick this jacket up, do it before it's sold out. At ~$550, it'll be the best value you'll find in a leather jacket.

Blackadder

I once owned a 1928 model for a brief time, though it was only acquired in a trade with the intention of being sold off. I found that jacket to be cut about as generously as the Stallion, but with shorter length and arms. Can't speak for the horsehide version though, which could have been cut very differently.

The Stallion is certainly a bit generous around the waist, though mostly rectified by the belt. On the center hole it snugs nicely without billowing or bulging. I find it very comfortable when worn over layers, in fact I wore it this morning on my ride into work over a thick cardigan and was not hindered by it being too snug. I think it all depends on what the jacket is to be used for. If I didn't ride a motorcycle, I'd probably be wearing a Schott 618HH. More fashionable fit, snugger in all areas and a bit more suited for a night out on the town. I don't often wear my Stallion for that type of thing. But when the weather dips below 50, I wouldn't go anywhere on the bike without the Stallion, tons of pockets and a fuller cut that allows for storage without bulging outlines of the items I've placed in it. It looks right at home on the bike. As it breaks in more though, I may wear it off the bike more frequently, as mentioned above Schott HH does tend to look plastic-like at first which may have been why I'd be saving it for riding only. But the more I wear it, and the more it breaks in...the more I want to wear it all the time.

As for the belt, I agree completely. Certainly a bit "flimsy" feeling, but it works perfectly for the jacket and drapes well when not fastened. Better even than my 613's did. I also love the fact that it's fully removable, making it a bit more versatile. The retro snap fasteners in the back are such a great look. If you have an opportunity to pick this jacket up, do it before it's sold out. At ~$550, it'll be the best value you'll find in a leather jacket.

My understanding is that Schott did a number of runs of 1928 in USA but they do it as regular order in Japan. Mine is from Japan, so I suppose it could be an infamous Japanese cut. LOL.
I really tried very hard back in 2012-2013 to find a size 36 Black Stallion. I emailed a couple of dealers in USA and Taiwan, none of them have the size 36. One even took my order but failed to deliver then ignored my email. Finally cancelled the order and got my money back.

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
Figured I'd repost this shot of me in the Black Stallion to illustrate the waist size with belt fastened. I left my shirt untucked so you could see where it ends as it's difficult to notice the contrast again dark denim. On background I'm 5'10" 185 w/ 36" waist and 43" chest. Needless to say the 7" difference between the two makes sizing quite difficult as it's either too tight up top or too loose down bottom. This size 42 Black Stallion is the best compromise I've found of the 4 Schott's I've owned.

RrXWnAz.jpg

Plus a bonus shot with collar down and belt removed

I6M5Zho.png

Last edited:

53Effie

A-List Customer
Well, I just received a new Black Stallion. I am pleased with the fit and it seems to be a warm jacket. I followed IXL's advice in one of these threads and sized up just a bit for cold weather layering. As he mentioned the fit is okay with just a shirt under and is snug with a sweater or a fleece. The leather is not at all stiff compared to Aero horsehide jackets that I own and I think it will break in easily. I got a 44 and the sleeve length turned out to be 5/8 inch longer than Legendary's size chart indicates, which is perfect for me at just a shade over 26 inches. My jacket does not appear to have the felt backing and the quilted liner is not removable. I think I could wear a 42, but would not be able to layer for cold weather. Except for several months each year we ride in cool temperatures in my area. The jacket seems to be well made and assembled properly. As others have mentioned, the belt is a bit flimsy as are the belt loops. I am not impressed with the initial shiny, plastic look and feel of the leather; but, I am going to keep it and see how it turns out with break-in. It is already starting to show some grain so hopefully that continues. I hope it develops patina as well as AmericanIron,s jacket has. To me the hide does not seem to be substantial enough to offer much protection in the event of an accident, but hopefully I won't ever have to find out for sure. It seems to be a decent jacket and the price was reasonable with a coupon. Plus I really like the look of a D-pocket jacket. I think it will be a keeper.

Benproof

A-List Customer
Yea it does suck that they discontinued it, especially since Legendary seems to have replaced it with an order of 613HH's. If you're size 42, 44 or 46 you can still snag a Stallion on sale for around $550 on sale.

I also plan to have snaps added for my fur collar attachment, hoping a local leather shop could do it but I'm not certain. It also would be the 618M collar not the limited edition type collar they did for this jacket a few years back. I wasn't a big fan of where they placed the snaps on the lapels, much prefer the traditional 118/618 snap style.

..you mean it's been permanently discontinued?

I have a new unworn Legendary size 40" one which I bought over a year ago. The thing I find is (which the images of your used one shows), is that the shape looks rather out of shape compared to other jackets like Lewis Leathers, which seem to drape on the wearer, whereas this one looks like it hugs the wearer. Maybe that's just me.... but still it looks good when it's worn!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR