Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody own a Schott Black Stallion? Thoughts on it?

IXL

One Too Many
......Also, to the guy who said he owns one in a 42, what size does your chest measure? I ordered a 42 as well but I'm really worried that it will be too big for me. My chest measures 43.5-44".

My chest measures just over 39 inches. My size 42 jacket was purchased with intent to layer under it, although it really doesn't look bad by itself.

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
I hope your ironhead is more reliable than my old EVO....I've lost half of summer riding troubleshooting all sorts of issues....my jacket I bought in August for summer still looks brand new. I'm considering wearing it while walking the dog to put some miles on it.....;)

Hahah that will happen. If it's a Harley it's gonna leave you stranded a few times. I have a 2000 road star for breaking in jackets in the event of ironhead malfunction. It's necessary you see because I have no dog

Edward

Bartender
https://www.etsy.com/listing/208001541/

How long have they been making these jackets??

D-pocket styles have been around since at least the forties. Schott claim to have been the first company to sell a leather jacket specifically designed for motorcycle wear, in 1928. Sometime within the last couple of years they produced a jacket they claimed to be a reissue of the 1928 Schott, and it was a D pocket, but, bless 'em, I don't think Schott's marketing department is always strictly accurate in its research, so who knows?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
D-pocket styles have been around since at least the forties. Schott claim to have been the first company to sell a leather jacket specifically designed for motorcycle wear, in 1928. Sometime within the last couple of years they produced a jacket they claimed to be a reissue of the 1928 Schott, and it was a D pocket, but, bless 'em, I don't think Schott's marketing department is always strictly accurate in its research, so who knows?

With the separable bottom zipper not existing until 1930, their claim is bunk. So is the one that they made the first jacket specifically for motorcycle wear- specialty makers have existed since the birth of the motorcycle. The waist length double breasted "motorcycle" style is also an outgrowth of earlier styles with subtle modifications over many years, so it's impossible to point to any manufacturer and say they invented it. Even the earliest ones which Schott claims as theirs, were produced by them, but just as a manufacturer for another company. If anyone buys one of their jackets, buy it for the jacket, not for the marketing or hype.

Edward

Bartender
With the separable bottom zipper not existing until 1930, their claim is bunk. So is the one that they made the first jacket specifically for motorcycle wear- specialty makers have existed since the birth of the motorcycle. The waist length double breasted "motorcycle" style is also an outgrowth of earlier styles with subtle modifications over many years, so it's impossible to point to any manufacturer and say they invented it. Even the earliest ones which Schott claims as theirs, were produced by them, but just as a manufacturer for another company. If anyone buys one of their jackets, buy it for the jacket, not for the marketing or hype.

Absolutely. Historically bunk as it may have been, that D pocket Schott was a nice looking jacket...

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Long enough to get what appears to be Ron Jeremy's brother to model in a vintage one.

I read that as how long Schott have been producing that model? They have a couple of runs in the Japanese market, I've seen a couple on ebay but in tiny sizes, I wrote to Gail at Schott about 3 years ago. They didn't do adult sizing and it was japanese only. They put out a Dpocket a year or so ago, but I think it looked crap. The cut was bizarre, but they put the icing on the cake with waif models wearing them. And non of the, seemed to fit properly....I would absolutely love to get a decent d pocket like the j106 or like in natural CXL...that would be a show stopping keeper....

Long enough to get what appears to be Ron Jeremy's brother to model in a vintage one.

I read that as how long Schott have been producing that model? They have a couple of runs in the Japanese market, I've seen a couple on ebay but in tiny sizes, I wrote to Gail at Schott about 3 years ago. They didn't do adult sizing and it was japane

I read that as how long Schott have been producing that model? They have a couple of runs in the Japanese market, I've seen a couple on ebay but in tiny sizes, I wrote to Gail at Schott about 3 years ago. They didn't do adult sizing and it was japanese only. They put out a Dpocket a year or so ago, but I think it looked crap. The cut was bizarre, but they put the icing on the cake with waif models wearing them. And non of the, seemed to fit properly....I would absolutely love to get a decent d pocket like the j106 or like in natural CXL...that would be a show stopping keeper....

se only. They put out a Dpocket a year or so ago, but I think it looked crap. The cut was bizarre, but they put the icing on the cake with waif models wearing them. And non of the, seemed to fit properly....I would absolutely love to get a decent d pocket like the j106 or like in natural CXL...that would be a show stopping keeper....

would love it.

Sorry man, ipad fragged out. My response is there somewhere

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
would love it.

Sorry man, ipad fragged out. My response is there somewhere

They did a few of these I believe the first was a 1928 model which was black but had a slimmer cut and I believe no bi swing back. the next was a brown vintage oiled leather which was a slimmer but longer cut and had unusually slim arms for the chest size. also the sizing was small medium large instead of by number which was not ideal. They also did a CXLodel in horween leather but that was a limited run and also no bi swing. this black stallion appears to be the only one suitable for an actual rider with a relatively attainable price tag

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If not mistaken, Schott does special batches of 1928H for the Japanese market every now and again. I bought mine from Japan 2 years ago. They were sold out and then restocked then sold out again. I was going to order the Legendary as well but they don't carry my size anymore. In addition to the Beck vest, there were also a couple of Beck repro jackets made by Schotts licensed by Legendary some years back. My friend has them.

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
Still blows my mind that with two black versions and a brown version, all of which are sold out save for three sizes in the most recent black version, I can't find a single person on any forum with a picture of them wearing the jacket!

I just want to see how it looks when on someone. If anyone has pics like that please send along.

Thank you!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Still blows my mind that with two black versions and a brown version, all of which are sold out save for three sizes in the most recent black version, I can't find a single person on any forum with a picture of them wearing the jacket!

I just want to see how it looks when on someone. If anyone has pics like that please send along.

Thank you!

If you resgister at the vintageleatherjackets forum, on page 10 or so of the "motorcycle/utility jackets" section there's a gent who ordered it in brown w/fit pics. I hesitate to post them here without his permission.

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
If you resgister at the vintageleatherjackets forum, on page 10 or so of the "motorcycle/utility jackets" section there's a gent who ordered it in brown w/fit pics. I hesitate to post them here without his permission.

I don't have or want an ISP email address so I can't access that site.

Thanks though

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
Hey guys, jacket finally arrived. Love the horsehide material, love the D pocket, but I fear that the jacket may be too big. I can't tell if it's that or just that it's too stiff as it's brand new. Honestly starting to wonder if Schott makes anything that fits athletic people (big chest small waist) because this is my third Schott jacket and there's just always something off. In this case it's the waist, just seems too big for a jacket this size. Also, the way that the belt it set up it kind of twists the leather around the waist area by cinching it too tight. Not to mention that the belt does not buckle at the center when fastened, it's attached to two points in the rear so that when attached on the second hole it's shifted off to the left quite a bit.

The chest however seems to fit fine, my chest measuring a 43.5" I had ordered the 42 and it measures 23.5" across. I wouldn't mind having this exact jacket in a size 40 as I feel it would have been an ideal size, this 42 will feel very roomy with a t shirt underneath, though it feels good with a hoodie on.

Not certain if I want to keep it or not so please chime in and let me know, maybe the fit will change as the jacket breaks in.

Edit: Sorry about the pics being sideways, they're right side up on my computer files so I'm not sure why it's doing that.

image_1.jpg
image_2.jpg
image_3.jpg
image_4.jpg
image_5.jpg
image_6.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
Hard to tell for sure on these pics, but it looks pretty damn good to me. The chest and the arms seem to be a very good fit, and the waist is not as big as I have seen a lot of people wear in this style jacket. As others will probably note, the final judgement is yours, and if it doesn't feel "right" to you it probably won't ever.

Definitely a nice looking jacket.

Damo

A-List Customer
I agree with pawinee.

I share your same feelings about how schott jackets aren't built for us. My 141 in size 40 fits great in the shoulders, sleeve and overall jacket length. I would like to think that a size 38 would be more fitted but I'd be concerned about the other areas fitting. I didnt send mine back cause i bought mine from thr states and didnt want to return it from canada. Also it still fits well with a couple of layers ubderneath. It will be my layering jacket. Who knows the size 38 may have fit but I think schotts really need to be tried on to find the best fit.

since you live in the states, I would send it back for the smaller size to see if you can get the fit you're looking for.

Last edited:

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
I agree with pawinee.

I share your same feelings about how schott jackets aren't built for us. My 141 in size 40 fits great in the shoulders, sleeve and overall jacket length. I would like to think that a size 38 would be more fitted but I'd be concerned about the other areas fitting. I didnt send mine back cause i bought mine from thr states and didnt want to return it from canada. Also it still fits well with a couple of layers ubderneath. It will be my layering jacket. Who knows the size 38 may have fit but I think schotts really need to be tried on to find the best fit.

since you live in the states, I would send it back for the smaller size to see if you can get the fit you're looking for.

Unfortunately this is a limited edition jacket which is no longer available in size 40 so it's not an option. All I want is a 118 in horsehide honestly, this was the closest thing but I think I'm gonna have to either live with it or go back to cowhide in size 40

Edward

Bartender
Doesn't look odd to me, though it's hard to tell how it fits at the waist with your shirt sticking out like that. I've seen a lot of Schotts that fasten with the buckle sitting off centre.... personally, I like that look; seems common enough that I'd assumed it was just how Schott do it. [huh] If you're finding it not tapered enough round the waist, you certainly won't be happy with a 118, which is a more modern, boxier fit. You'd be better off looking at the 618 Perfecto - same basic, classic design as the 118, but a neater, more tapered, more vintage fit. The 618 does occasionally come available in horse (I gather that in recent years they've also stopped the practice of gluing a felt backing to the horsehide, which is good). Rarer, though, and much more expensive than the steer.

The other option would be to look for an Aero MC jacket. I have one that I need to get around to selling (too big for you and in steer, though). Unless they've radically changedc the pattern since Ken took over again (you'd need to ask them, really), it tapers quite radically. It fits me over the chest and shoulders like a 50s Halfbelt in a size 42, but tapers at the waist to be significantly (by a couple of inches, that is) smaller than a Size 42 Thirties Halfbelt (which is comparable to a size 40 50s HB, if you follow me). A price bump up from the Schott, certainly, though to be honest much as I love my 618, the Aero is a significantly better jacket IMO. If GBP650 is a bit much for you, you might be lucky on the Aero sales page, or you could try eBay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR