Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone collect pistols?

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
Back in the good old days (that is the 1980's) I had a Luger, a Colt .32ACP, .38 S&W Hand Ejector, a .32 Mauser M10 and a .32 Colt Pocket Positive. All nice guns from the era that interests us.
Sadly, due to illogical anti-gun laws enacted over here by the Blair Regime, I don't have them any more.
You Colonials just don't know how fortunate you still are !

Story

I'll Lock Up
Twitch said:
Just wondering is anyone collects pistols old or otherwise? I've got only a few from WW2 and earlier. Haven't seen anyone discussing old weapons. Am curious.

So you're holding out on us, Twitch. What's in your gunbox?

The D.A.

Familiar Face
I'm afraid that I'm a little late to this thread, but here's my two cents worth anyway.

I don't have much of a collection, to speak of. I'd like to think that it's the beginning of a collection, but I never seem to have the money to add to it. I have a Smith & Wesson Model 36 Chiefs Special that my grandfather carried as a postal inspector in the '50s and '60s, along with the original Chic Gaylord pocket holster he was issued with it. I also have a Harrington and Richardson .32 caliber break-open revolver that belonged to a small-town Missouri sheriff in the '20s and '30s. My long gun is a Remington 870 Police Magnum with walnut furniture (none of that black plastic "tactical" crap for me).

As a rookie cop I purchased an American-made stainless Walther PPK as an ankle gun. What a piece of junk. It felt like I had a brick strapped to my ankle, and I never could get the damn thing to function reliably. A veteran old sergeant told me to get a Smith .38 snub, which I did. I bought a Smith 442, the one with the enclosed hammer and the alloy frame. That was the best advice that I could have received. An excellent gun, one that is reliable, simple, and can easily be slipped into a pocket. I continued to carry that gun as a prosecutor until I stupidly sold it to a detective.

I'm rather partial to revolvers, and I'd like to add a Webley, a '30s-'40s Colt Detective Special, and a Smith Model 10 to my collection. I like guns with history, guns that kept cops company on long midnight shifts or on boring stakeouts. I'd also like to add a Colt .45 auto to my collection (or, better yet, a brace of Colts, just like The Shadow!).

Old Fogey, you had some great guns, and it's truly outrageous that you had to turn them in. I still can't believe that personal handgun ownership was outlawed in the U.K. Wasn't it a knee-jerk reaction to the Dunblaine shooting? I follow U.K. news, and it would seem that the law has done little to reduce gun-related crime. If criminals want guns, then they will be able to get them, leaving law-abiding citizens to defend themselves against armed intruders with kitchen knives and cricket bats.

As for Winchester, it's owned by Fabrique Nationale, a Belgian arms company. The decision to close the factory was reportedly made on a costs basis. It seems that most people in the market for a rifle prefer AR-15s, SKS's and AK-47s to classic Model 94s. A pity. At least Ithaca seems to have been reborn (again) and is resuming production of the Model 37 shotgun.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
By next year I should be able to get the single-action Ruger Vaqueros I want, or at least one, though Cowboy Action Shooting really needs two. I need to buy different grips, though, I have ridiculously small hands even for a woman. For some reason, I can't imagine why, Ruger seems to think guns are bought primarily by men and not by marmosets.

I'm thinking .357 but I haven't decided yet.

Here in California, we have to pay $20 to take a 20 question test with questions such as; Is it ok to wear a gun as an accessory to your clothes?"

Not if you haven't coordinated the metal tones. lol

Sincerely,
Viola

Speedster

Practically Family
In Denmark you are only allowed to buy/own guns if you have been an active member of a shooting club for two years. Then you are allowed to buy a gun of your own, but you cannot take it home with you before you get your permit.

You fill in the application with the serial number of the gun and other details you send it to your shooting club, who sends it to the shooting organization, who sends it to your local police office, who sends it to the Ministry of Justice, who sits on it for 3-4 months and then return it to your local police office, who return it to the shooting organization, who returns it to your shooting club, who returns it to you. Then after about 6 months you can go and collect your gun in the gunshop. And it is not even a joke. About 6 months even if they have all your details in their system from previous permits.

And you have to go through this procedure each and every time you buy a new gun.

You then have a permit to own that specific gun, keep it in your house in an approved gunsafe, carry it (in a guncase) to and from the shooting range and shoot with it at the shooting range. You are also allowed to buy ammo for that gun.

In Denmark we have a caliber limitation of 9 mm/.38/.357 for handguns. Everything above that is not allowed. This applies for guns shooting smokeless powder. For blackpowder loads there are no caliber limitations though. On your permit it is stated what type of powder the gun is permitted to use.

I'm into Cowboy Action Shooting and have the following guns:

Cap and Ball (Blackpowder):
Pietta 1860 Colt New Army in .44 Cal.
Uberti 1858 Remington New Army in .44 Cal

Cartridge (Blackpowder):
Uberti 1873 Colt Single Action Army Cattleman in .45 Cal
Uberti 1866 Winchester Lever Action Rifle in .45 Cal

Cartridge (Smokeless):
Ruger Vaguero in .357 Cal
Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .357 Cal

Tony_Mr_Henry_Westernman_Mad_Max_Co.jpg

Me to the right.

Speedster

Caledonia

Practically Family
Got one old small blunderbust. It's about the size of a sawn off shotgun. The action works, but we haven't got the knowledge or facilities to test it. It's so gorgeous I don't think I'd want to risk it. Bit before the era, but it really is spectacular. Can't post a photo unless I clear it with husband (it's his and he's quite particular). I'll ask permission if anybody wants to see it.

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
Post away, Caledonia !

I'd love to see it :)

Strider, is that one of the Spanish or South American S&W replicas?

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
Story,

I'm sure you're probably right. I actually have a very detailed aluminum "toy" Luger P.08 that my father had as a kid back in the 40s...

The S&W replica fooled me with the brass cartridge rims showing at the rear of the cylinder;) doh!

Caledonia

Practically Family
Just acquired. One of those pieces you see and have to go back for. Wish I knew the history, but in the hand it almost resonates.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Then a tale for your troubles

In 1808, amidst the ballooning craze which had by now swept all of France, a dispute arose between M. de Grandpre and M. le Pique over a certain Mademoiselle Tirevit, a lady engaged at the Imperial Opera. A duel was agreed upon for May 3rd, three months from the day of their argument, so that the heat of their impassioned anger could cool, and they would be able to face each other like gentlemen.

It was decided the duel should take place in the air. Two balloons were constructed exactly alike. Each man chose his second, as witness to the event, who would ride in the car with him. Blunderbuss guns were issued, as the intention was not to aim at the other person, but rather to bring down the other’s balloon by popping the fabric that held them in the sky. To the winner would be granted the smiles of Mademoiselle Tirevit

They met at the Tuileries Gardens on the decided day. The balloons were placed eighty yards apart. The calm wind that day would assure that they would remain relatively the same distance from each other during the entire duel.

Each man entered his car with his second. The ropes were loosened, and the crowd that had gathered backed away in order to get a better view.

At a height of roughly eight hundred feet a signal was given. M. le Pique drew first and fired a round. The shot missed M. de Grandpre’s balloon, and he returned fire in kind. This shot, however, found its mark and a large hole was torn in M. le Pique’s balloon.

To everyone’s horror, the gas escaped far more quickly than had been anticipated, and M. de Grandpre nearly tipped out of his basket as he watched his fellow aeronaut’s contraption plummet to the Earth at great speed. M. le Pique and his second were dashed to pieces, like gentlemen, on the rooftop of a small farmhouse seven leagues outside of Paris.

Smiles, it is believed, were bestowed.

Caledonia

Practically Family
That is fantastic. I think I've read that. Reference? And of you're about to tell me you made it up, I will be :eek: , but I maintain my position - I have read parts of this! :)

Caledonia

Practically Family
If only there was a smillie that wasn't :eusa_clap, but was more in the ' hat taken off, deep curtsey' kind of vein. I tried but failed to find one. Know that it is heartfelt nonetheless....;)

Story

I'll Lock Up
Caledonia said:
If only there was a smillie that wasn't :eusa_clap, but was more in the ' hat taken off, deep curtsey' kind of vein. I tried but failed to find one. Know that it is heartfelt nonetheless....;)

But of course. Petition the owners, perhaps they can add something like this to the smilie software package
curtsey.gif

(And so as not to be accused of straying too far off the path of pistolry, check out the pages here http://www.1911forum.com/ for all you'd ever want to know about the period-appropriate .45 automatic)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy