Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know anything about this hatmaker Daquino?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 28104 View attachment 28106
View attachment 28108 View attachment 28109
View attachment 28110

Specs:
Crown Height: 5" after blocking (6" open crown) Minimum taper
Brim Width: 2.5"
Navy Blue

Like I mentioned in the previous post, it's a very dense, lightweight felt. Very deep Navy Blue, which is what I was looking for. The finish feels nice, and it responds well to shaping. I'll probably play with the bash a bit in the near future.

The only thing I'd have a beef about is the sweat. It would be nice to have a higher quality leather sweat, and I'd be willing to shell out a few extra bucks for that, especially given the value it already is. However, I'm overall very happy and will be purchasing another soon.

Thats one of her nicest! IMHO. Whats the crown drop in the rear?

Arrived this side yesterday, NH, & departed today...will see how long it takes to make it South...

That was a quick trip through Customs. Mine stuck around and saw the sights for a week or so. :lol:

I'm going to be very interested in your take on these hats. I'd have to go back through the thread, but it seems those of us that have reported in after ordering are not as experienced as you regarding this. I think your critical take will be very interesting.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Mine's 6. I told her open or c-crown. Got the standard teardrop. Going to order a beaver next and ask for it open.

Been wondering if 6 open was enuff? I may want to go higher cuz I haven't decided how I want to crease it. I asked for an underwelt in beaver w no taper.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
That was a quick trip through Customs. Mine stuck around and saw the sights for a week or so. :lol:

I'm going to be very interested in your take on these hats. I'd have to go back through the thread, but it seems those of us that have reported in after ordering are not as experienced as you regarding this. I think your critical take will be very interesting.

And I also. Thx for some critical feedback.

It was waiting on me when I got home on the front porch.
What was spec'ed = "Those proportions are perfect = 4.5" Open Crown, 3" Brim."
And my follow up thru the Etsy order =
"Your note to the shop:4 1/2" Open Crown (like a bowler) 3" or wider raw edge Brim (widest you can make it up to 3 1/2") No hatband Many thanks,"
IMG_20150420_194830_139.jpg

IMG_20150420_194906_196.jpg

IMG_20150420_194854_375_1.jpg

The good = this is an excellent felt body & work on putting the sweatband in is top notch, very decent sweatband & liner, pouncing is very well done.
The bad = crown is 5 1/4" & brim is 2 7/8" to 2 15/16", not 3" anywhere I measure it. Sides seem very tapered.
No way this warrants being sent back to Portugal but I knew that going in. Will see what my Hat Shaper can help me shape up...

Orangehaggis

New in Town
I have been a D'Aquino customer for sometime. I have never been disappointed with my hats. Great materials, shape and colour. I do, however, send them roan leather sweatbands to use in my hats as they don't offer them.

Orangehaggis

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
It was waiting on me when I got home on the front porch.
What was spec'ed = "Those proportions are perfect = 4.5" Open Crown, 3" Brim."
And my follow up thru the Etsy order =
"Your note to the shop:4 1/2" Open Crown (like a bowler) 3" or wider raw edge Brim (widest you can make it up to 3 1/2") No hatband Many thanks,"
IMG_20150420_194830_139.jpg

IMG_20150420_194906_196.jpg

IMG_20150420_194854_375_1.jpg

The good = this is an excellent felt body & work on putting the sweatband in is top notch, very decent sweatband & liner, pouncing is very well done.
The bad = crown is 5 1/4" & brim is 2 7/8" to 2 15/16", not 3" anywhere I measure it. Sides seem very tapered.
No way this warrants being sent back to Portugal but I knew that going in. Will see what my Hat Shaper can help me shape up...

Thx for that info. More pics plz when finished.

Thanks for the feedback, gtdean. Too bad about the specs. She got mine spot on, other than the teardrop vs. the c-crown, which is no biggie.

I'm wearing mine again today. I really like this thing!

Unexpected discovery =
In removing the liner in order to "reblock" this crown, I discovered that the liner is glued to the inside top of the crown.
Although the liner has no plastic cover on the inner crown portion where the company crest is, there seems to be something similar stitched to the other side of the liner & glued all the way around to the crown.
The liner then is glue again at the edge tucked behind the sweatband.
Removing the liner destroys this plastic barrier.
Never seen this technique on any vintage hat I have modified or modern factory & custom hat that I have owned.

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
Unexpected discovery =
In removing the liner in order to "reblock" this crown, I discovered that the liner is glued to the inside top of the crown.
Although the liner has no plastic cover on the inner crown portion where the company crest is, there seems to be something similar stitched to the other side of the liner & glued all the way around to the crown.
The liner then is glue again at the edge tucked behind the sweatband.
Removing the liner destroys this plastic barrier.
Never seen this technique on any vintage hat I have modified or modern factory & custom hat that I have owned.

I ran into the same thing on western I re-blocked some time ago. Fortunately it was just glued at a spot where it touches the crown and along the sides, I was able to gently separate it., looked like Elmer's glue. It did not have the barrier or what I believe was known as the silk sweat liner. Never ran into that system again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters