Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know anything about this hatmaker Daquino?

A third +1 from me. I'd been looking at her hats on Etsy when I came upon this thread. It convinced me to take the plunge.

...and Welcome back, Enzo! Haven't seen you in a couple of weeks.

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
OK, received the hat yesterday. Sorry, no pics as of yet. I got my mail about 5:30 and we went right out to the ballgame last night, so it went on a hook. I'm wearing a different hat to work today, as I didn't think it went with what I'm wearing. I promise pics soon.

First reactions: It's a very nice hat. Very lightweight felt. It's a little snug, but then I'm a fairly generous 58, and I think it will "breathe" out a bit with wear. It did show up with a light line around the crown of the hat, caused by the packing materials; however, I'm going to tackle that with a little steam today and I think it'll come right out.

Photos and a full report later.

Hi, I'm planning to order a hat from Luisa. I was wondering what size you ordered and if the hat stretched a bit as you hoped. My melon measures 59cm, so I'm wondering if I should order 59 or 60.

Thanks,
Sergej

I'm a little larger than a 58. I ordered a 58, and it was somewhat snug, but quickly conformed to my head; the FEPSA bodies seem to be pretty resilient in that regard. I love the way it feels now. I'm currently awaiting delivery of another 58, and I asked her to block it a little larger for me, if possible. She has been known to make half-sizes for some, as seen earlier in this thread.

I just wish I knew where my hat was. Luisa made a mistake in my address, so it sat in the PO in Lisbon for a week. CTT still isn't tracking the hat. If my past experience is to be believed, I should get it late next week.

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
I'm a little larger than a 58. I ordered a 58, and it was somewhat snug, but quickly conformed to my head; the FEPSA bodies seem to be pretty resilient in that regard. I love the way it feels now. I'm currently awaiting delivery of another 58, and I asked her to block it a little larger for me, if possible. She has been known to make half-sizes for some, as seen earlier in this thread.

I just wish I knew where my hat was. Luisa made a mistake in my address, so it sat in the PO in Lisbon for a week. CTT still isn't tracking the hat. If my past experience is to be believed, I should get it late next week.

I'm a dead on 24"/61 & ordered 61 which fit fine...

Thanks gentlemen! I ordered my hat this morning. A fedora in light gray with mid grey ribbon and grey edge binding. Basically the same hat Aether showed us in the beginning of this thread. I've asked for very little taper to the crown. We'll see how that turns out.

@Frunobulax, Sorry to hear about that. I hope your hat shows up quickly.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Has anybody personally heard from Luisa at Daquino? Emails or otherwise...? I've sent her 3 Email requests for a 6.5 inch open crown, no taper, FEPSA BEAVER and can't get a reply. Does she only reply to emails through ESTY? Does she only take orders thtough ESTY and then reply? I have two email addresses for her. The shop and Daquino Hats and I'm not hearing back. :(

Well, my hat emerged from the fog of the postal system on Wednesday. Luisa had messed up my address, so the PO in Lisbon still had it. When she corrected the address, they generated a different tracking number, which she forgot to give me - then she went on vacation. So on Wednesday, I dropped her a note, she sent the new tracking number and, lo and behold, it was Out for Delivery!

This one has pros and cons. The pros far outweigh the cons, and the cons are pretty much my doing. First of all, this is not the hat I wanted. I wanted a nice, light colored, wide-brimmed hat for the summer. I asked her to leave the liner out so it would breathe a little better, as well. So, she sent me two photos - Tan, and Beige. I confirmed which was which, and promptly ordered the wrong color. Should have ordered Beige, and ordered Tan. I guess my synapses misfired, because I never caught the mistake, though I revisited the order several times while awaiting its arrival. That being said, this is what came to me:

Daquino 2-5.jpg

It's gorgeous. It ain't Tan (but it is close to the photo Luisa sent)! I had chosen this ribbon color as a complement to the Tan I had in my head. I still think that would look good, but to me, this is stunning. The color pops right off the hat in contrast. I'm sure my photos in my crappy fluorescent-lighted office don't do it justice. I want to see it in the sun, but the rain here has been so persistent! The specs (as ordered):

Fedora: Bunny (Coelho), Tan
Ribbon: 3.8 cm (1.5 inch), copper
Brim binding: Matching color to the hat, or a little lighter color. Also, can you please make the brim binding on this one a little wider? I have attached a photo of an older hat next to the one you recently made for me. The older hat's brim binding is a little wider, just under 1 cm. (Note: As you can see, she didn't put on the contrasting brim binding, but hey, look at that hat!!)
Crown: 14 cm (5.5 inch) open crown, minimum taper. Normal teardrop or c-crown crease.
Brim Width: 6.7 cm (2 5/8 in).
Size: 58.5 cm (The last one was a bit snug. I put it on a hat stretcher and eased it out a little, and it's comfortable, but if you can accommodate a little larger size while blocking, that would be wonderful).

The last request was my second mistake. This one came marked 58 1/2, but fits more like a 59 (it fit over a 59 cm block I have). I've padded it, but it took a decent amount, though it now fits OK. I drove to work this AM with the windows down and the sunroof open, and it didn't blow off, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

OK, the rest of the pics.

Daquino 2-2.jpg Daquino 2-3.jpg Daquino 2-4.jpg Daquino 2-6.jpg

Obligatory noggin shot...

Image2.jpg Image3.jpg

And one last surprise; I don't know if she messed up or what, but: Daquino 2-7.jpg

Yup, 100% Bucky Beaver, even though I ordered bunny. She delivered it open crown, and the crease you see was put in dry and I haven't even steamed it yet. This thing looks and feels fantastic. I was going to cheap out on the bunny, but now I'm convinced Beaver is worth the extra $$$. Damn fine hat. Now I have to get the lighter colored one!

Daquino 2-1.jpg

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
Well, my hat emerged from the fog of the postal system on Wednesday.

View attachment 31122

It's gorgeous. It ain't Tan (but it is close to the photo Luisa sent)! I had chosen this ribbon color as a complement to the Tan I had in my head. I still think that would look good, but to me, this is stunning. The color pops right off the hat in contrast. I'm sure my photos in my crappy fluorescent-lighted office don't do it justice. I want to see it in the sun, but the rain here has been so persistent!

View attachment 31127 View attachment 31128
View attachment 31129

View attachment 31130

That's a seriously great hat!! I really admire the colors and ribbons you choose on your daquinos (really liked the navy/burgundy combo too)

Bummer, now you'll have to order one in beige too [emoji15]

My new hat should be ready in a day or two.

That's a seriously great hat!! I really admire the colors and ribbons you choose on your daquinos (really liked the navy/burgundy combo too)

Bummer, now you'll have to order one in beige too [emoji15]

My new hat should be ready in a day or two.

That's the fun of ordering from Luisa. I get to design my own hat and color combinations from the ground up. However, I always tell her, "You are the artist, if you don't think something works, or doesn't look right, you're the final decision on what goes out the door."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner