Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know anything about this hatmaker Daquino?

I'm not certain, but upthread quite a ways I remember somebody stating they might not. If they don't, whoever they deal with is very amenable to custom requests. However, I got the impression from the video of the shop that they make their own, and Luisa is the hatmaker.

I've tried to talk her into coming over here and chatting a bit, and she has said she'd look at the FL, but not sure if she has. It'd be great if we could get her involved in some discussion and pick her brain.

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
And there you go. Joao's been there.
I'm under the impression that at least part of the work is done by Luisa. When I enquired about delivery of my hat she said she was running behind because of her holiday.

If the hats are made elswhere, here holiday shouldn't influence production and shipment, right?

Just my thoughts. I have been wrong before.....

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Delivery services inside Portugal can be very fast, you can get anything in less than 24h.
In their Lisbon downtown store there is no machinery, I asked if they made the hats and say no.
The factory make the hat and sends them to Luísa. Luísa probably checks if it's OK then sends them out of Portugal.

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
Delivery services inside Portugal can be very fast, you can get anything in less than 24h.
In their Lisbon downtown store there is no machinery, I asked if they made the hats and say no.
The factory make the hat and sends them to Luísa. Luísa probably checks if it's OK then sends them out of Portugal.
Hi Joao,

Hmm, I like my idea about the lonely artisan in a small workshop better, so I'll keep believing that.

I'm not letting reality get in the way of a good story [emoji1]

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I talked to Rita, gave my contacts (cell phone and email) because I wanted prices for bunny and beaver for the widest brim possible for a Portuguese hat. They never contacted me...

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I'm having the same problem and I'm not crossing the Atlantic! I'm asking for a 6 and one half inch open crown with absolutely no taper. I don't believe they have the block(s) for that, which is possibly a reason why I'm not hearing back. I kno they have FEPSA Beaver but I'm also asking for an "acorn" rust color and maybe that's not avaliable either...

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Bob: I'm pretty sure, it'll be hard to find a hatter, who owns a set of 6-1/2" blocks with "absolutely no taper". Even old blocks, marked "#52" or "Columbia", have taper. Not a lot - but they absolutely do taper. FEPSA makes hundreds of colors, so I would think, it should be possible to get really close to the specific color, you want. That doesn't mean, that D'Aquino's supplier is willing to buy the required amount of bodies, though.

My guess is, that they are not geared to our interpretion of "custom made". We (and our expectations) are probably pretty far from the average hat-buyer. I wouldn't wonder, if the quite sudden and great popularity here on TFL has taken them by surprise. After all, they don't seem to be making the hats themselves.

I'm not trying to defend any bad attitude. I too find, their reported response rate (and/or response time) sounds pretty sloppy :)

Last edited:
It's funny, Luisa usually gets back with me within a couple of days. I left a note for her on either Thursday or Friday thanking her for the hat, and haven't heard back. However, she's likely catching up from being on vacation, and orders/shipments come before a guy that's already happy!

I think it's great that she/they are willing to work with us on defining our hats. Being an engineer, I spec mine out pretty clearly. I would describe the D'Aquino hats as a "custom order," rather than a "custom hat." We're getting the specs we want (most of the time - see g.durand's posts), but it's not the level of custom you'd get from a BSHW, Art Fawcett, or Gus Miller hat. However, quality for the price, it can't be beat.

Bob, I hope she gets back with you. Once you get one, I think you'll go back to the well.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Fruno. You are right. To get a "custom order" beaver, especially FEPSA for under $200 is pretty exceptional. Thats xactly why I'm going to Daquino. And as you said I'm goin to reach out to her thru ESTY. Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn